FREE SCO Unix and IDE CDROM install ???

Post by Tim Ruckl » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:} I went to install my FREE SCO Unix and there was no option for IDE CDROM's.
} During the boot sequence, my primary and secondary IDE controllers were
} identified and "SCSI Tape" and my secondary controller were automatically
} selected but of course, that did not work. Is SCSI and tape the only
} supported install media ???

Hi James, hopefully these instructions will help with the installation:

You will need the Free SCO OpenServer CD-ROM, the 3.5" SCO OpenServer Boot
Diskette and the 3.5" SCO Advanced Hardware Supplement Boot-time Loadable
Drivers diskette.

Installation for SCSI CD-ROM is easiest.  Support for Extended IDE (EIDE) CD-ROM
requires a slight modification to the installation process.  See the EIDE CD-ROM
Installation Instructions below.  Only ATAPI-compliant EIDE CD-ROMs are useable.

Additional, much more detailed installation information is contained
in these files which are readable from the CD-ROM media prior to installation:

      info/opensrvr/en_inst.txt = English Release and Installation Notes
      info/opensrvr/fr_inst.txt = French  Release and Installation Notes
      info/opensrvr/de_inst.txt = German  Release and Installation Notes

SCSI CD-ROM Installation Instructions
--------------------------------------

1. Insert the SCO OpenServer Boot Disk into the drive.

2. Turn on your computer and wait for the Boot: prompt.

3. At the Boot: prompt press <Enter> to boot from the floppy drive.

4. When prompted, specify your installation media device as "SCSI CD-ROM".

5. Follow the instructions on each screen.  During the installation process you
will be prompted for licensing information.  You must enter the license number,
license code and license data which you obtained from the licensing page on
www.sco.com.  At any time during installation, you may press <F1> for more
detailed help.

6. After querying for system configuration information, the system will proceed
with the installation unattended.  After installation is completed, you will see

          Safe to power off
          Press any key to reboot

Please remove the floppy disk from the drive before pressing any key.

7. At the Boot: prompt, press <Enter>.

8. You will be prompted to enter "multi-user mode".  Do this by entering <CTRL>
D. This starts the system operation in normal operational mode and will shortly
display a login prompt.  Enter root as the user name, using the password which
you set during installation.  At this time, you may proceed to create new user
accounts, etc.

ATAPI (EIDE) CD-ROM supplemental Installation Instructions

Follow steps 1 and 2 from the SCSI CD-ROM Installation Instructions, above.  In
place of steps 3 and 4, follow the instructions given below and then continue
with steps 5, 6, 7 and 8 above.

   If your system has a primary SCSI hard disk drive attached to a SCSI
   controller, you must enter a "bootstring" to define this configuration. For
   example, if the primary hard disk drive has a SCSI ID of 0, a LUN of 0,
   and it is attached to the primary bus controlled by an Adaptec 2940
   host adapter (which uses the alad driver), use the following bootstring:

   Boot: defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,0,0)

   If you have a different SCSI host adapter, use the appropriate driver
   name from the following table instead of alad:

    Host adapter                                           Driver name
    Adaptec 152x                                           spad
    Adaptec 154x, 154x emulation, 164x                     ad
    Adaptec 174x                                           eiad
    Adaptec 274x (7770 chip)                               arad
    Adaptec 2940x (7870 chip)                              alad
    Future Domain 1650, 1670, 1680, 600, 700 (1800 chip)   fdha
    Future Domain 7000                                     wdha
    Future Domain 7000ex                                   wdex
    Future Domain 845, 850, 860, 885 (950 chip)            tmcha
    Olivetti ESC-1, ESC-2, and EFP                         efp
    Storage Plus SCSI-AT (SUMO)                            sumo

 3b.When the ``Identifying the installation media device'' screen is
   displayed, choose ``SCSI CD-ROM'' as the media device type (YES,
   even though it is EIDE).

   Some machines may experience hardware driver conflicts which will not
   allow the user to choose any SCSI media devices for installation. One
   way to work around this problem is to insert a supported SCSI host
   adapter into the system. There is no need to add any SCSI devices to
   this host adapter.

 3c.Select "wd" for the SCSI host adapter type.

 3d.If the CD-ROM drive is attached to the Primary IDE controller in a
   system with one or two IDE controllers, select 0 for the host adapter
   number.

   If the CD-ROM drive is attached to the Secondary IDE controller in a
   system with two IDE controllers, select 1 for the host adapter number.

 3e.If the CD-ROM drive is configured as a Master device, select 0 for its
   SCSI ID.

   If the CD-ROM drive is configured as a Slave device, select 1 for its
   SCSI ID.

   NOTE: A hard disk and a CD-ROM drive present on the same IDE
   controller are usually configured as Master and Slave devices
   respectively. If no hard disk drive is present on the same controller, the
   CD-ROM drive will usually have been configured as a Master device.

 3f.Select 0 for the SCSI LUN of the CD-ROM drive.

 4.Select 0 for the SCSI bus number.

From this point, continue with #5, above.

Determining your system configuration for ATAPI (EIDE) CD-ROM

If you are uncertain of the hardware configuration of your system, but you
know that the primary hard disk is attached to an IDE controller, the following
information will allow you to determine the most likely configuration.

Entries for the ATAPI CD-ROM will appear after booting in one of the
following forms as indicated by the presence of the string type=wd:

%adapter   0x01f0-0x01f7   14  -  type=wd  ha=0  id=7  bus=0  fts=d

Here, ha=0 indicates that the ATAPI CD-ROM drive is attached to the
Primary IDE controller.

%adapter   0x0170-0x0177   15  -  type=wd  ha=1  id=7  bus=0  fts=d

Here, ha=1 indicates that the ATAPI CD-ROM drive is attached to the
Secondary IDE controller.

If there is another device attached to the IDE controler, the effective SCSI ID
of the CD-ROM drive is 0 if it is configured as a Master device or 1 if it is
configured as a Slave device. If the other device is the primary hard disk
drive, the CD-ROM drive will normally be configured as a Slave device. If your
system has a primary SCSI hard disk, the CD-ROM drive may be configured
as a Master device.

If there is no other device attached to the IDE controller, the CD-ROM drive
should have been configured as a Master device with an effective SCSI ID of 0.

NOTE: The base I/O addresses and interrupt vectors shown on your system
might differ from the examples shown above.

Post by James M. Constabl » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I went to install my FREE SCO Unix and there was no option for IDE CDROM's.
During the boot sequence, my primary and secondary IDE controllers were identified and
"SCSI Tape" and my secondary controller were automatically selected but of course, that did
not work. Is SCSI and tape the only supported install media ???

Light Microsystems              "Life without passion ...
Boca Raton, FL                          what's the purpose ?"

1. SCO Free Unix and IDE CDROM

I have a pentium 75 Award BIOS.
2 2.0 GB HD a NEC CDROM installed as a slave on primary controller.
SB AWE 32
ATI Mach 64 PCI
32 MB RAM

When installing SCO and enter defbootstr command then select scsi cdrom
0,1,0,0

When I continue the system hangs, I must power down to get it working again

2. ps/2 mouse

3. FREE SCO Openserver IDE-CDROM Install

4. NT won't boot w/ Linux primary partition?

5. Is it possible to install SCO UNIX 5 from IDE - cdrom ?

6. AIC7XXX and 2.2.1 upgrade

7. a few simple questions

8. Problem install SCO UNIX 5.0 by IDE cdrom

9. Free SCO, IDE-CDROM - Is my hardware true ATAPI?

10. ATAPI (E)IDE cdrom and SCO Unix 3.2 R4.2 ??

11. Installing Free SCO from a Creative SB16 CDROM

12. IDE/CD-ROM sco-free server install problems