Modem connection

Post by Willia » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

    Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I have an Open Server
client that has users log in using a modem on com1, tty1a. Everything goes
fine until they log off. Then when they try to log in again, they can not
because the last session was not logged out. This forces me to do a kill on
the user and then everything is ok till the next time. On the modem I have
tried playing with the dip switches: Verbal to numeric result codes, DTR
normal to override. display result codes, echo on and off and carrier detect
normal and override on a US Robotics 14,400 external modem. My client has
two modems for remote sessions, one works fine. In the inittab file the
settings are fine. I use term to login. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Modem connection

Post by Bria » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>     Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I have an Open
Server
> client that has users log in using a modem on com1, tty1a. Everything
goes
> fine until they log off. Then when they try to log in again, they can
not
> because the last session was not logged out. This forces me to do a
kill on
> the user and then everything is ok till the next time. On the modem I
have
> tried playing with the dip switches: Verbal to numeric result codes,
DTR
> normal to override. display result codes, echo on and off and carrier
detect
> normal and override on a US Robotics 14,400 external modem. My client
has
> two modems for remote sessions, one works fine. In the inittab file
the
> settings are fine. I use term to login. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Which version of SCO are you using?

What patches have been applied?

Which tty is actually enabled tty1A or tty1a (just for clarification)

What is in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems and Devices files that pertain to
tty1a or tty1A?

Brian

Modem connection

Post by Tom Parson » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

William enscribed:
|     Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I have an Open Server
| client that has users log in using a modem on com1, tty1a. Everything goes
| fine until they log off. Then when they try to log in again, they can not
| because the last session was not logged out. This forces me to do a kill on
| the user and then everything is ok till the next time. On the modem I have
| tried playing with the dip switches: Verbal to numeric result codes, DTR
| normal to override. display result codes, echo on and off and carrier detect
| normal and override on a US Robotics 14,400 external modem. My client has
| two modems for remote sessions, one works fine. In the inittab file the
| settings are fine. I use term to login. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

You put the modem on the wrong port, modems always belong on the uppercase
port.  And undo all of the "fixes" you contrived and start over.

Modem connection

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> ... I have an Open Server client that has users log in using a
>modem on com1, tty1a. Everything goes fine until they log off.
>Then when they try to log in again, they can not because the last
>session was not logged out. ...

Heed Tom's comment on tty1A vs 1a plus ..

Quote:> ... On the modem I have tried playing with the dip switches:
>Verbal to numeric result codes, DTR normal to override. display
>result codes, echo on and off and carrier detect normal and
>override on a US Robotics 14,400 external modem.

Make sure that the DTR is normal and carrier detect normal
otherwise anything else you don't won't have a lot of effect.