OpenServer 5 locks at 'G' at first boot after install

OpenServer 5 locks at 'G' at first boot after install

Post by What real lif » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Following an apparently successful install of OSE5, our server locks
at kernel check 'G' on its first boot. Hardware is a Pentium/100, 64MB,
PCI/EISA motherboard, Adaptec 2940 PCI, Seagate 1.7 GB Barracuda, standard
VGA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OpenServer 5 locks at 'G' at first boot after install

Post by John Hoba » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>Following an apparently successful install of OSE5, our server locks
>at kernel check 'G' on its first boot. Hardware is a Pentium/100, 64MB,
>PCI/EISA motherboard, Adaptec 2940 PCI, Seagate 1.7 GB Barracuda,
standard
>VGA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem with a 1542C controller locking at G.

I had an IDE controller with two drives plugged in but not enabled in the
CMOS.  SCO still detected them and locked.  I pulled the cable off the
IDE controller and it booted right up.

John-

OpenServer 5 locks at 'G' at first boot after install

Post by Keith Ma » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:>Following an apparently successful install of OSE5, our server locks
>at kernel check 'G' on its first boot. Hardware is a Pentium/100, 64MB,
>PCI/EISA motherboard, Adaptec 2940 PCI, Seagate 1.7 GB Barracuda,
>standard VGA.

We've resolved this problem (thanks to those who offered advice). We had
our dual-processor system set down to a single processor for the install,
but apparently OSE was expecting to find it upon reboot because (we think)
the Intel chipset was telling it there was one. We overcame this by
disabling the secondary cache, which allowed OSE to boot. We then
installed MPX and re-enabled the cache and the second CPU. Worked
like a charm.

BTW, we suspect that the reason for the slow install is that iobufs is
set to 100 during the install process. A bit low on a 64MB system, no?
Perhaps SCO wanted to keep the kernel size down...

1. First boot after install hangs after ''Starting PCMCIA services''.

I've been here before running Linux 5.2. I promise if someone helps me get
past it this time I'll write it down for future reference!!!
Home built machine with 2G IDE HD and IDE CDROM both masters on Primary and
Secondary IDE respectively.
Run prepackaged install (tried both server and KDE workstation) to write
over disk.
Finishes install and reboots. Gets to ''Starting PCMCIA services'' and then
hangs. This machine has no PCMCIA. I know I had this problem before but
darned if I can remember what "fixed" it.
A hard reset is required to get the machine's attention after which FSCK
complains that it can't recover from bad file system. I can get into
maintenance mode by using root password at this point. I seem to recall
there may have been something I had to do in inittab but looking in there
nothing rings a bell (getting old I s'pose).

Help.

Wes

Remove "XyZ" in return address

2. MOZART Sound Card: Failed attempts with /dev/mixer

3. Post Install (Slack or ygg) First Boot 'EXT2 fs error ... ext2_find_entry...'

4. tech question: zip drives in NT and Linux

5. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

6. WN: any experience with this http-server?

7. setup one interface for 'up' and another one for 'down'

8. Symbolic algebra/intergation

9. Locked on boot at 'Searching for CD-ROM'

10. LILO Locks booting from Drive 'A'

11. OpenServer 5.0.2's 'netstat -m' output

12. Red Hat 6.2, Highpoint HPT366: installs fine, won't boot stopping at 'LI'

13. hangs at the message 'mounting root' during first boot