Lost man pages?

Post by Skip Terwoo » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I seem to have overwriiten or lost my man pages.
I was in the /usr directory and was compiling and installing
gzip, everything worked fine. Later I tried using the man pages
and got (null) as a result. I tried doing a man on about 20 different
commands in three different shells and many different directories
and I still got (null) as a result.

I have the Free sco 5.02 and it doesn't come with separate manuals.
I can't seem to locate the actual pages themselves. Nor can I track
the problem down looking at files by date modified.

The commands I used are as follows:
# tar xvf gzip.tar
# cd gzip
# ./configure -d
# ./configure -S
# make
# make install

I also cannot access the desktop html help.
My system was working fine before.

Does anyone have an idea about this?
What would be the best way to restore the man pages?
I'd appriciate any help or advice.

thanks, skip

Lost man pages?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Skip Terwood telecommunicated:
| I seem to have overwriiten or lost my man pages.
| I was in the /usr directory and was compiling and installing
| gzip, everything worked fine. Later I tried using the man pages
| and got (null) as a result. I tried doing a man on about 20 different
| commands in three different shells and many different directories
| and I still got (null) as a result.
|
| I have the Free sco 5.02 and it doesn't come with separate manuals.
| I can't seem to locate the actual pages themselves. Nor can I track
| the problem down looking at files by date modified.
|
| The commands I used are as follows:
| # tar xvf gzip.tar
| # cd gzip
| # ./configure -d
| # ./configure -S
| # make
| # make install
|
| I also cannot access the desktop html help.
| My system was working fine before.
|
| Does anyone have an idea about this?
| What would be the best way to restore the man pages?

They should all be present under /usr/man.
Run 'scohttp query' to see if scohttpd is running;
if not, type 'scohttp start'.

--

1. Mystery: lost man page

        Here is a strange problem that no one at this site has been
able to help me solve (I am on SunOS 4.1.3).  My shell is tcsh.  I
have not been able to access 'man tcsh' for some time now, although I
did read it a couple of weeks ago.  When I enter the command 'man
tcsh', I get the response "No manual entry for tcsh".  I am able to
get other manual entries, just not the one for tcsh.
        Other users I have asked are able to get this to work on their
logins.  But now for the strange part: I asked a system administrator
as well, who even tried logging in AS ME, and it did work for him.  I
have tried everything I can think of, including commenting out most of
my .cshrc and .login; also, I don't have $MANPATH set.  I am
completely out of ideas.  Does anyone out there have any idea what the
problem might be?

--
Peggy Wilkins

2. Indexing works w/ default, not virtual hosts

3. Lost man pages!

4. Connecting an L1000 to a Netra T1

5. Lost Man Pages

6. Problems with Davicom DM9102 on RH 7.2

7. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!

8. Newbie Pseudo ttys?

9. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

10. Man Pages lost/CDROM no Access

11. man-pages lost

12. man a man page file at unspecified directory

13. double man pages in man and cat