Problem with installing SCO Openserver 5.02

Problem with installing SCO Openserver 5.02

Post by DI Heinz Roland Hopfgartne » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

When I try to install I get the message:

Warning: hd no root disk controller

defbootstr disable=dptr does not help.

Has anyone an idea?

Thanks.

Problem with installing SCO Openserver 5.02

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

DI Heinz Roland Hopfgartner telecommunicated:

| When I try to install I get the message:
|
| Warning: hd no root disk controller
|
| defbootstr disable=dptr does not help.
|
| Has anyone an idea?

I have one idea: that you post an inventory of your hardware.

Otherwise, there is only one answer: something is wrong.

--

Post by Andre Dugua » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> DI Heinz Roland Hopfgartner telecommunicated:
> |
> | When I try to install I get the message:
> |
> | Warning: hd no root disk controller
> |
> | defbootstr disable=dptr does not help.
> |
> | Has anyone an idea?

> I have one idea: that you post an inventory of your hardware.

> Otherwise, there is only one answer: something is wrong.

> --

------
Hi!

I get the same message when trying to install OpenServer 5 ...

Warning: hd no root disk controller

After I get the message, the system goes on and sees the CD-ROM on the
same SCSI controller, starts to read it and stops with similar message
saying "No HD controller ..."

my config is ... Pentium 166
                SCSI controller AHA-2940AU controller (ID:7)
                SCSI HD Quantum Fireball_tm2110S (ID:6)
                SCSI CD-ROM Toshiba XM-3801TA (ID:4)
                SCSI tape Archive Python 25501-XXX (ID:0)

        AHA-2940AU at Bus:Device 00:13h
        Interrupt = 11
        I/O port address = 6000h

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

-------------
Andre Duguay
Mcgill Teaching Hospitals
Montreal, Quebec

-------------

Problem with installing SCO Openserver 5.02

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Andre Duguay telecommunicated:

| I get the same message when trying to install OpenServer 5 ...
|
| Warning: hd no root disk controller
|
| After I get the message, the system goes on and sees the CD-ROM on the
| same SCSI controller, starts to read it and stops with similar message
| saying "No HD controller ..."
|
| my config is ... Pentium 166
|               SCSI controller AHA-2940AU controller (ID:7)
|               SCSI HD Quantum Fireball_tm2110S (ID:6)
|               SCSI CD-ROM Toshiba XM-3801TA (ID:4)
|               SCSI tape Archive Python 25501-XXX (ID:0)
|
|       AHA-2940AU at Bus:Device 00:13h
|       Interrupt = 11
|       I/O port address = 6000h

Well, you aren't telling us what your using for defbootstr at the Boot:
prompt, since you have SCSI IDs entirely at variance with what SCO's
defaults are.   Why don't you change to the defaults?

        HD 0    ID 0
        tape    ID 2
        CD-ROM  ID 5
--

Post by Ilias Rozako » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I get the same message when trying to install OpenServer 5 ...

> Warning: hd no root disk controller

> After I get the message, the system goes on and sees the CD-ROM on the
> same SCSI controller, starts to read it and stops with similar message
> saying "No HD controller ..."

> my config is ... Pentium 166
>                 SCSI controller AHA-2940AU controller (ID:7)
>                 SCSI HD Quantum Fireball_tm2110S (ID:6)
>                 SCSI CD-ROM Toshiba XM-3801TA (ID:4)
>                 SCSI tape Archive Python 25501-XXX (ID:0)

>         AHA-2940AU at Bus:Device 00:13h
>         Interrupt = 11
>         I/O port address = 6000h

Dear Andre,
What is definitely wrong here is the SCSI id's. In order to properly
install Openserver 5 you must change the SCSI id's as follow:
        SCSI HD Quantum Fireball_tm2110S (ID:0)
        SCSI CD-ROM Toshiba XM-3801TA (ID:5)
        SCSI tape Archive Python 25501-XXX (ID:2)

Adaptec 2940 driver needs the root hd to be on ID 0. Of course there
is a workaround: tell the Controler to boot from ID 6 and use a boot
string to tell the system that the boot device is id 6 (such as
Sdsk=alad(0,6,0,0)). But I believe that changing the ID is more
"by the book".

Best regards,
Ilias Rozakos

Post by Tom Parson » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Andre Duguay writes:

>I get the same message when trying to install OpenServer 5 ...

>Warning: hd no root disk controller

>After I get the message, the system goes on and sees the CD-ROM on the
>same SCSI controller, starts to read it and stops with similar message
>saying "No HD controller ..."

>my config is ... Pentium 166
>            SCSI controller AHA-2940AU controller (ID:7)
>            SCSI HD Quantum Fireball_tm2110S (ID:6)
>            SCSI CD-ROM Toshiba XM-3801TA (ID:4)
>            SCSI tape Archive Python 25501-XXX (ID:0)

>    AHA-2940AU at Bus:Device 00:13h
>    Interrupt = 11
>    I/O port address = 6000h

Sounds like a perfectly logical message to me since an Archive Python
isn't a hard disk.

Put everything were the system expects to find them and watch it work.
      host adapter        ID7
      cdrom drive         ID5
      tape drive          ID2
      primary hard disk   ID0

Post by Andre Dugua » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> > I get the same message when trying to install OpenServer 5 ...

> > Warning: hd no root disk controller

> > After I get the message, the system goes on and sees the CD-ROM on the
> > same SCSI controller, starts to read it and stops with similar message
> > saying "No HD controller ..."

> > my config is ... Pentium 166
> >                 SCSI controller AHA-2940AU controller (ID:7)
> >                 SCSI HD Quantum Fireball_tm2110S (ID:6)
> >                 SCSI CD-ROM Toshiba XM-3801TA (ID:4)
> >                 SCSI tape Archive Python 25501-XXX (ID:0)

> >         AHA-2940AU at Bus:Device 00:13h
> >         Interrupt = 11
> >         I/O port address = 6000h

> Dear Andre,
> What is definitely wrong here is the SCSI id's. In order to properly
> install Openserver 5 you must change the SCSI id's as follow:
>         SCSI HD Quantum Fireball_tm2110S (ID:0)
>         SCSI CD-ROM Toshiba XM-3801TA (ID:5)
>         SCSI tape Archive Python 25501-XXX (ID:2)

> Adaptec 2940 driver needs the root hd to be on ID 0. Of course there
> is a workaround: tell the Controler to boot from ID 6 and use a boot
> string to tell the system that the boot device is id 6 (such as
> Sdsk=alad(0,6,0,0)). But I believe that changing the ID is more
> "by the book".

> Best regards,
> Ilias Rozakos

Thanks Ilias
Thanks Jean-Pierre

The boot string Sdsk=alad(0,0,6,0) did the trick.

Your help is very appreciated ... thanks again.

Andre

Problem with installing SCO Openserver 5.02

Post by e.. » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

My name is Eje Im a newbi to UNIX and have now decided
to learn more about it. Ive recently become an owner to
 SCO Open server 5.0.2 but now I have problem installing it.
The problem are as follows:
I start with booting from the 3,5 floppy, then when I start the
installation I get the following message :
VARNIG: hd : no root disk controller
after that the installation continues.
Next I fill in the registration and so on, but when I chose to
continue I get the following message:

Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50

 Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50

Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50

Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50
/ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

;then the system halt.

My hardware:
FIC2005 motherboard with integrated IDE controller
AMD k5 133 MHz Processor
32 Mb EDO ram
Seagate 2,5 GB ATA disk
NEC 8x CD-ROM also ide connected
and a standard floppy unit

It seems as the hard disk isnt detected, so Ive tried with
"defbootstr disable=dptr" but that didnt work either.
That help did I get from the newsgroups. If there is anyone that
can help me with my problem I would be mighty grateful.

Thanks

1. Help can't Install SCO Openserver 5.02

Hi I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.02 and have the following
problems:

Problem 1

The system has an IDE Hard Drive and a SCSSI CDROM.? I have tried the
following Adaptec Scssi host cards:? AHA-1520, & AHA-1522a

All give the same problem.? The kernel screen appears listing the device
info with the correct scssi card listed (spad ) and then I press enter
at the boot:? prompt to install.? The system stops loading from the
floppy at around 387K and freezes.? If I remove the scssi cards form the
computer I can get to the blue screen which is useless for me at that
point because I have no install media device.? I also tried removing the
just the CDROm and leaving the scssi devices but the system still
freezes at the same point.? I've tried different scssi adresses and
different IRQ numbers to no avail.? One interesting thing is that the
kernel device info screen lists the cdrom as a tape device not a cdrom.

Problem 2
?

My second problem is on a machine with an ATAPI CD-Rom.? When I get to
the blue screen I select SCSSI Cdrom and put in the appropriate WD
settings for it as a slace on the primary IDE controller ( also tried it
as a master and as a slave on the second IDE controller).? In all cases
I get the same problem.? It seems as if the CD-Rom is recognized but
each time it spins up the CD and then says it can't find the CD & try?
inserting the CD.? It seems as if the CD-Rom? (a 16X CD-Rom) is not
coming up to speed quick enough for the system.
?

Thanks in advance for any help.? I want to learn SCO but so far I have
been faced with a brick wall.

Gabriele

2. Linux 7.1 & shutdown.allow Problem

3. Python under SCO Openserver 5.02

4. Problems with Clock Freezing. RedHat 5.0, SX164 MB, 2.0.35 kernel.

5. Virge (S3) driver for SCO OpenServer 5.02

6. questions about startup files

7. Upgrade SCO 3.2v4.2 - Openserver 5.02 installation core dump

8. mmap() - Strange Problem

9. TN3720 Terminal Emulator for SCO OpenServer 5.02

10. Upgrading physical memory in SCO Openserver 5.02

11. HP deskjet 600 not working with SCO openserver 5.02

12. SCO Openserver 5.02 and Eudora

13. Problems installing SCO 5.02