OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Eric » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
     I'm trying to install OS 5.0.5 on an old IBM PC Server 500
Microchannel RAID machine.  The installation seens to be going well: it
sees all my hardware, divides and creates the file system then
says "Extracting dditional files from your media source ..."  After a
second or two it reports the follwing error: "command
failed: /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003
Quote:> /dev/null 2>&1"  I am new to unix and would appreciate it if anyone

could point me in the right direction on how to resolve this.  It
appers that it cannot read from the CDROM but it extracts data from the
CDROM prior to the failure.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Tom Parson » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Eric enscribed:
| Hello,
|      I'm trying to install OS 5.0.5 on an old IBM PC Server 500
| Microchannel RAID machine.  The installation seens to be going well: it
| sees all my hardware, divides and creates the file system then
| says "Extracting dditional files from your media source ..."  After a
| second or two it reports the follwing error: "command
| failed: /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003
| > /dev/null 2>&1"  I am new to unix and would appreciate it if anyone
| could point me in the right direction on how to resolve this.  It
| appers that it cannot read from the CDROM but it extracts data from the
| CDROM prior to the failure.  Any ideas?

An often asked question.

You do not have enough memory to install in that manner.

Your choices are:
  Make an installation floppy from the image on the cd and boot from it
    instead of the cd.
  You might be able to use a nbuf=300 boot string but the floppy install
    will be much quicker.

OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Eric » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Eric enscribed:
> | Hello,
> |      I'm trying to install OS 5.0.5 on an old IBM PC Server 500
> | Microchannel RAID machine.  The installation seens to be going
well: it
> | sees all my hardware, divides and creates the file system then
> | says "Extracting dditional files from your media source ..."  After
> | second or two it reports the follwing error: "command
> | failed: /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003
> | > /dev/null 2>&1"  I am new to unix and would appreciate it if
anyone
> | could point me in the right direction on how to resolve this.  It
> | appers that it cannot read from the CDROM but it extracts data from
the
> | CDROM prior to the failure.  Any ideas?

> An often asked question.

> You do not have enough memory to install in that manner.

> Your choices are:
>   Make an installation floppy from the image on the cd and boot from
it
>     instead of the cd.
>   You might be able to use a nbuf=300 boot string but the floppy
install
>     will be much quicker.
> --

==
==
Tom,
     I did use a bootable sco floppy to initiate the installation and I
have 256MB of memory in the server.  Should that be enough?

Eric

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Eric » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Tom,
    I did use a bootable sco floppy to initiate the installation and I
have 256MB of memory in the server.  The nbuf=300 did not work
unfotunately.  The boot loader string I am using is as follows:
fd(64)unix root=ram(7) ram.preload=7 swap=none dump=none nbuf=300
isl.S=3 isl=pause ramdisk=fd(64)rootFS  Do you see anything that could
be changed to produce better results?  Still getting the...
command failed:
/bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003 > /dev/null 2>&1
error on first attempt to write to array.
HELP!,
Eric

Quote:> Eric enscribed:
> | Hello,
> |      I'm trying to install OS 5.0.5 on an old IBM PC Server 500
> | Microchannel RAID machine.  The installation seens to be going
well: it
> | sees all my hardware, divides and creates the file system then
> | says "Extracting dditional files from your media source ..."  After
> | second or two it reports the follwing error: "command
> | failed: /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003
> | > /dev/null 2>&1"  I am new to unix and would appreciate it if
anyone
> | could point me in the right direction on how to resolve this.  It
> | appers that it cannot read from the CDROM but it extracts data from
the
> | CDROM prior to the failure.  Any ideas?

> An often asked question.

> You do not have enough memory to install in that manner.

> Your choices are:
>  Make an installation floppy from the image on the cd and boot from
it
>    instead of the cd.
>  You might be able to use a nbuf=300 boot string but the floppy
install
>    will be much quicker.
> --

==

==

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Tom Parson » Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Eric enscribed:
| Tom,
|     I did use a bootable sco floppy to initiate the installation and I
| have 256MB of memory in the server.  The nbuf=300 did not work
| unfotunately.  The boot loader string I am using is as follows:
| fd(64)unix root=ram(7) ram.preload=7 swap=none dump=none nbuf=300
| isl.S=3 isl=pause ramdisk=fd(64)rootFS  Do you see anything that could
| be changed to produce better results?  Still getting the...
| command failed:
| /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003 > /dev/null 2>&1
| error on first attempt to write to array.

Yeah.  Whatever makes you think you need a boot string, Just press
<Enter> at the boot: prompt like everyone else does.

--tom

| > Eric enscribed:
| > | Hello,
| > |      I'm trying to install OS 5.0.5 on an old IBM PC Server 500
| > | Microchannel RAID machine.  The installation seens to be going
| well: it
| > | sees all my hardware, divides and creates the file system then
| > | says "Extracting dditional files from your media source ..."  After
| > | second or two it reports the follwing error: "command
| > | failed: /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003
| anyone
| > | could point me in the right direction on how to resolve this.  It
| > | appers that it cannot read from the CDROM but it extracts data from
| the
| > | CDROM prior to the failure.  Any ideas?
| >
| > An often asked question.
| >
| > You do not have enough memory to install in that manner.
| >
| > Your choices are:
| >  Make an installation floppy from the image on the cd and boot from
| it
| >    instead of the cd.
| >  You might be able to use a nbuf=300 boot string but the floppy
| install
| >    will be much quicker.
| > --
| >
| ========================================================================
|
| ==

| ========================================================================
|
| ==
| >

| Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
| Before you buy.

OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Eric » Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Eric enscribed:
> | Tom,
> |     I did use a bootable sco floppy to initiate the installation
and I
> | have 256MB of memory in the server.  The nbuf=300 did not work
> | unfotunately.  The boot loader string I am using is as follows:
> | fd(64)unix root=ram(7) ram.preload=7 swap=none dump=none nbuf=300
> | isl.S=3 isl=pause ramdisk=fd(64)rootFS  Do you see anything that
could
> | be changed to produce better results?  Still getting the...
> | command failed:
> | /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003 > /dev/null
2>&1
> | error on first attempt to write to array.

> Yeah.  Whatever makes you think you need a boot string, Just press
> <Enter> at the boot: prompt like everyone else does.

> --tom

Tom,
     I'm the first to admit I have no idea what I am doing.  That's why
I'm looking for assistance.  The boot string I displayed above is what
gets displayed after I hit enter at the boot prompt with the exception
of the nbuf=300 which is nbuf=3 by default.  I changed it to nbuf=300
on your recommendation.  The only thing that looks unusual to me during
setup is when it displays the summary of devices before the "GUI"
instalation portion begins is says:
  mem:total=261756k, kernel=93584k, user=168172k
  kernel:Hz=100, i/o bufs=78292k(highbufs=69004k)CONFIG:Low buffers
  unavailable, converting to high buffers.
Could the lack of low buffers be causing an issue?  Again, I don't know
s**t about this, it is the only error-like thing that occurs before
installation fails.

Any help is appreciated,
Eric

<SNIP>

Quote:> | > | second or two it reports the follwing error: "command
> | anyone
It
> | the
> | >
> | > An often asked question.
> | >
> | > You do not have enough memory to install in that manner.
> | >
> | > Your choices are:
> | >  Make an installation floppy from the image on the cd and boot
from
> | it
> | >    instead of the cd.
> | >  You might be able to use a nbuf=300 boot string but the floppy
> | install
> | >    will be much quicker.
> | > --

> | ==

Quote:> |
> | ==
> | >

> | Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> | Before you buy.

> --

==
==

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>I'm trying to install OS 5.0.5 on an old IBM PC Server 500
>Microchannel RAID machine.

Looks like it should work.  It's a bit old, but see:
 HWGUIDE: Support status of IBM machines under SCO
 XENIX, UNIX, ODT and OSE
        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?101956

Quote:>The installation seens to be going well: it
>sees all my hardware, divides and creates the file system then
>says "Extracting dditional files from your media source ..."  After a
>second or two it reports the follwing error: "command
>failed: /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003
>> /dev/null 2>&1"

The first part of the install came from the floppy disk boot.  That's the
point where it has to read from the cdrom drive and is having problems.
There's an ugly trick to work around this problem.  Leave the cdrom out
of the drive during the initial installation.  It will try to detect the
cdrom several (3 or 4) times and let it fail.  When if finally gets to
the point where it asks for the cdrom, then install it in the drive.

Another possibility is that the cdrom drive is simply defective and not
reading the cdrom.  Boot from an MSDOS floppy with a cdrom driver in the
CONFIG.SYS and MSCDEX in AUTOEXEC.BAT and test the cdrom drive.

Quote:>I am new to unix and would appreciate it if anyone
>could point me in the right direction on how to resolve this.  It
>appers that it cannot read from the CDROM but it extracts data from the
>CDROM prior to the failure.

Are you sure that it previously extracted data was from the cdrom and not
from the boot floppy?

--

150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA  95060
831-421-6491 pager   831-429-1240 fax

OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Yes, it definitely reads data from the CD earlier in the
>installation process but this is the first time it tries to
>copy/extract to the array.  Which made me think that it was maybe a
>hard drive issue but it gets through partitioning the file system so
>I'm lost.  I'll give the cdrom trick you mentioned a try.  Can you
>think of anything else?

Yeah, but it's guesswork(tm).  I don't know what a "Microchannel RAID"
card means.  Is it hardware RAID, or simply a generic SCSI adapter,
that's expecting the VDM (virtual disk manager) to do the RAID?  Usually,
* hardware RAID drivers require BTLD (boot time loadable driver)
incantations at the initial boot.  No way to tell from here.

Also, I just noticed that the error message (as you posted it):
  "command failed:
   /bin/cpio -icdum < /cdromFS/opt/archives/VOL.000.003
   > /dev/null 2>&1"
implied that it had successfully read, extracted and written:
        VOL.000.000
        VOL.000.001
        VOL.000.002
and finally barfed on VOL.000.003.  That means that either:
        1.  The cdrom is failing to read.
        2.  The hard disk is failing on write.
No way to tell from the error message.

My suggestion is to test your hardware by formatting the MC RAID whatever
under Windoze 98 and testing if the BIOS can handle your unspecified disk
drives (if greater than 8GB).  Basically, convince yourself that the
stuff is working.  Same with the cdrom drive.  Copy a full cdrom to
/dev/null or (msdos) NUL: and see if the drive can read the entire cdrom.
Then remove the Windoze partition with FDISK and try the install again.
My wild guess is that you'll hit some kind of >8.4GB partitioning
complication.

Incidentally, I have a box of MC boards and a Model 95 (486DX25) server
sitting around doing nothing.  Such a beautifully built box that I hate
to s*it for parts.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/~jeffl/sco/   SCO stuff

OS 5.0.5 Installation Trouble

Post by Eric » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Jeff,
> [...]

> No way to tell from the error message.

> My suggestion is to test your hardware by formatting the MC RAID
whatever
> under Windoze 98 and testing if the BIOS can handle your unspecified
disk
> drives (if greater than 8GB).  Basically, convince yourself that the
> stuff is working.  Same with the cdrom drive.  Copy a full cdrom to
> /dev/null or (msdos) NUL: and see if the drive can read the entire
cdrom.
> Then remove the Windoze partition with FDISK and try the install
again.
> My wild guess is that you'll hit some kind of >8.4GB partitioning
> complication.

> Incidentally, I have a box of MC boards and a Model 95 (486DX25)
server
> sitting around doing nothing.  Such a beautifully built box that I

     The RAID controller is hardware (IBM FAST/WIDE Streaming RAID
Adapter/A (Mylex DAC960M chipset)).  I am using 8-2.25GB drives in a
RAID 5 config which was running NT4.0 Server a week ago so the CDROM
and hard drives are thoroughly tested.  I popped the CD in my W2K box
and it read the CD fine.  I tried the CDROM trick you had mentioned but
it didn't help.  I went to IBM's web site and found installation
instructions for installing OS 5.0.4.  It is basically pop it in and
let it run.  I followed the few recommendations made on the page and I
got the same results.  I think I can get a hold of another copy of the
cd and I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Before you buy.

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>     The RAID controller is hardware (IBM FAST/WIDE Streaming RAID
>Adapter/A (Mylex DAC960M chipset)).  I am using 8-2.25GB drives in a
>RAID 5 config which was running NT4.0 Server a week ago so the CDROM
>and hard drives are thoroughly tested.

So much for the broken hardware theory.  You should have no problems with
the 2GB drives.

Look at:
        http://www.sco.com/chwp
This is the SCO hardware compatibility page.  Checking Mylex SCSI host
adapters, shows a variety of devices listed as being either "works with"
or "Certified".  However, the Microchannel flavour is not list.  Oh-oh.

Just for a check, see if you have the "latest" install "Global Array
Manager" at:
   http://www.mylex.com/products/dac960/drivers/os.html
Also, check your firmware at:
   http://www.mylex.com/products/dac960/drivers/filmbios.html
Oh-oh, everything listed is PCI, no Microchannel.  Never mind...
The Mylex web pile search engine appears to be busted so I couldn't
search for MicroChannel.

Quote:>I popped the CD in my W2K box
>and it read the CD fine.  I tried the CDROM trick you had mentioned but
>it didn't help.

I just realized that the trick only works for initial cdrom drive
recognition failures, not for read/write errors.  Sorry.

Quote:>I went to IBM's web site and found installation
>instructions for installing OS 5.0.4.  It is basically pop it in and
>let it run.  I followed the few recommendations made on the page and I
>got the same results.

Well, I usually read the instructions after I get in trouble.  Sounds
like desperation to me.

Quote:>I think I can get a hold of another copy of the
>cd and I'll give that a shot.

Yep.  It just might be a bad cdrom.