Ultimate stty for hw flow modem for uucp?

Ultimate stty for hw flow modem for uucp?

Post by Fabio Giannott » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone make a suggestion for the best gettydefs entry and best STTY=
line in the atdialer for a modem to be used with hardware flow control,
fixed serial-to-modem speed and used for uucp?

Particulars:
  Modem: Multitech ZDX
  Serial-to-modem speed: 38400 fixed
  Serial Port: COM2
  SCO Version: 3.2v4.2 and 3.2v5.x

Looking through old newsgroup articles, man pages and other references,
I've come up with:

Gettydefs
---------
9 # B38400 CS8 -CLOCAL HUPCL # BRKINIT IGNPAR ICRNL TAB3 OPOST ONLCR
B38400 CS8 -CLOCAL CREAD HUPCL CTSFLOW RTSFLOW ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOK
-IXON -IXOFF # \r\nlogin: # 9

atdialer STTY
-------------
STTY=CS8 -CLOCAL HUPCL BRKINIT IGNPAR ICRNL TAB3 OPOST ONLCR CREAD
CTSFLOW RTSFLOW ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOK -IXON -IXOF

If you could shoot holes in the above, make suggestions, or just "give
me the right answer", I'd be forever greatful.  (Well, at least greatful
for a long time...)

Thanks in advance,
Fabio

Ultimate stty for hw flow modem for uucp?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Fabio Giannotti typed (on 27Oct):
| Can anyone make a suggestion for the best gettydefs entry and best STTY=
| line in the atdialer for a modem to be used with hardware flow control,
| fixed serial-to-modem speed and used for uucp?
|
| Particulars:
|   Modem: Multitech ZDX
|   Serial-to-modem speed: 38400 fixed
|   Serial Port: COM2
|   SCO Version: 3.2v4.2 and 3.2v5.x
|
| Looking through old newsgroup articles, man pages and other references,
| I've come up with:
|
| Gettydefs
| ---------
| 9 # B38400 CS8 -CLOCAL HUPCL # BRKINIT IGNPAR ICRNL TAB3 OPOST ONLCR
| B38400 CS8 -CLOCAL CREAD HUPCL CTSFLOW RTSFLOW ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOK
| -IXON -IXOFF # \r\nlogin: # 9

Too compilcated.   All of my modems use

jp # B57600 HUPCL # B57600 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB0 ECHOE CTSFLOW RTSFLOW -IXON -IXOF

| atdialer STTY
| -------------
| STTY=CS8 -CLOCAL HUPCL BRKINIT IGNPAR ICRNL TAB3 OPOST ONLCR CREAD
| CTSFLOW RTSFLOW ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOK -IXON -IXOF

Too complicated.  Whatever the modem wants for hardware flow control, set
that and also set &D3.  Then you can have your /etc/default/atdialXXX
script just contain

MDM_SETUP=AT

--

Ultimate stty for hw flow modem for uucp?

Post by Larry Foot » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

With the MultiTech ZDX you might also want to set AT$BA1 to override its
baud adjust.
<===========================>
Larry Foote
Footeware Software Systems

>Fabio Giannotti typed (on 27Oct):
>| Can anyone make a suggestion for the best gettydefs entry and best STTY=
>| line in the atdialer for a modem to be used with hardware flow control,
>| fixed serial-to-modem speed and used for uucp?
>|
>| Particulars:
>|   Modem: Multitech ZDX
>|   Serial-to-modem speed: 38400 fixed
>|   Serial Port: COM2
>|   SCO Version: 3.2v4.2 and 3.2v5.x
>|
>| Looking through old newsgroup articles, man pages and other references,
>| I've come up with:
>|
>| Gettydefs
>| ---------
>| 9 # B38400 CS8 -CLOCAL HUPCL # BRKINIT IGNPAR ICRNL TAB3 OPOST ONLCR
>| B38400 CS8 -CLOCAL CREAD HUPCL CTSFLOW RTSFLOW ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOK
>| -IXON -IXOFF # \r\nlogin: # 9

>Too compilcated.   All of my modems use

>jp # B57600 HUPCL # B57600 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB0 ECHOE CTSFLOW
RTSFLOW -IXON -IXOF

>| atdialer STTY
>| -------------
>| STTY=CS8 -CLOCAL HUPCL BRKINIT IGNPAR ICRNL TAB3 OPOST ONLCR CREAD
>| CTSFLOW RTSFLOW ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOK -IXON -IXOF

>Too complicated.  Whatever the modem wants for hardware flow control, set
>that and also set &D3.  Then you can have your /etc/default/atdialXXX
>script just contain

>MDM_SETUP=AT

>--

SCOForum

Ultimate stty for hw flow modem for uucp?

Post by Tom Parson » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Larry Foote enscribed:
| With the MultiTech ZDX you might also want to set AT$BA1 to override its
| baud adjust.

Oh sure, and cause a huge problem.  In 10 years, I've never seen any
reason to set $BA1.  Read the manual closely, you are misunderstanding
the documentation.

--tom

Ultimate stty for hw flow modem for uucp?

Post by Larry Foot » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

That's just what worked me at the time.

>Larry Foote enscribed:
>| With the MultiTech ZDX you might also want to set AT$BA1 to override its
>| baud adjust.

>Oh sure, and cause a huge problem.  In 10 years, I've never seen any
>reason to set $BA1.  Read the manual closely, you are misunderstanding
>the documentation.

>--tom

1. RS6000 cable pinout for modem HW flow control

I have a RS6K with a 16 Port Async Adapter EIA 232. I am trying to hook
up hardware flow control to the modems so they will respond to SIGHUP if the
carrier drops. In our shop the we run the cables from the telcom room to the
server in the computer room so custom cables are the preferred option. After a
few hours digging through the manualls I came up with the following:

        CPU             MODEM
        DB-25s          DB-25p

        td    2  ----------------------- 3   rd
        rd    3 ------------------------ 2   td
        rts   4 ------------------------ 5   cts
                cts  5 ------------------------ 4   rts
        sg   7 ------------------------ 7   sg
        dsr  6 ------------------------ 20  dtr
        dcd  8 --'
        dtr 20 ------------------------ 6  dsr
                                       `-- 8  dcd

This cable should work find with Standard I/O ports 1 & 2; however, the
16 port adapter does not support full modem control. It only has: td, rd, dtr,
dcd, and rts is asserted high on the adapter end.

Has anyone have a working pinout they would like to share?

2. Unix Novice - a tricky question

3. Modem/uucp flow control problems

4. Help: 8 bit Trident 9440 Xserver

5. Using HW flow control does NOT make 8 bit clean!

6. PAP and pppd

7. PPP problem with HW flow control

8. Sun C Compiler and Threads?

9. Questions about HW flow Control - Solaris 2.4 serial ports

10. HW Flow Control under POSIX

11. Solaris 2.4 x86 HW flow control problem

12. stty hardware flow control

13. Taylor UUCP in RH5.0 "Cannot disable hardware flow control..."