"dfspace" reports correct information, but "df -v" does not.

"dfspace" reports correct information, but "df -v" does not.

Post by David Fre » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Please refer to the attached text file for the partition and divvy table
information referenced below.

I recently installed an additional SCSI HBA (DPT SmartRAIDIV) in my client's
3.2 V4.2 system, with two WD Enterprise 4.3GB drives (configured as a RAID-1
array). The new drive has one large partition, with three divvy divisions
plus a scratch division (2 2-GB divisions and 1 250MB division). A
filesystem has been created for the two 2-GB divisions, while the third has
been left unused. Everything seems to function well, but the total number of
blocks reported by df -v is exactly twice that of what it should be for the
new drive array as well as the original 1GB drive.

After searching SCO articles for hours, I have found only two relating to
similar issues:

Article 1. "I think I have more space on my hard disk than df -v reports.
"...which suggests running fsck -s on the filesystem to correct the free
list.

Article 2. "Df(C) and mount(ADM) report erroneous information"...suggests to
remove /etc/mnttab and recreate it with "devnm / | setmnt"

Neither of these two solutions correct the problem. I have repartitioned and
redivided the new drive numerous times in various different sizes to no
avail. I have even gone so far as to completely remove the new device
references and reinstall everything from scratch, and nothing works.

I need to correct this situation as soon as possible before I let my client
start using the new drive space.

Thanks in advance.

Please respond to:

David Frey

"dfspace" reports correct information, but "df -v" does not.

Post by John DuBo » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

+df -v reports size in 512K blocks, it's POSIX complient.  dfspace
+converts the numbers correctly into K, which is why you're seeing the
+two different numbers.
+
+I know 5.0.x has a -k option to df to show options in 1024K blocks.

512-*byte* and 1024-*byte* blocks.

+Not sure about 4.2.

No -k prior to 5.0.

        John
--

Post by Jef Wai » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>+df -v reports size in 512K blocks, it's POSIX complient.  dfspace
>+converts the numbers correctly into K, which is why you're seeing the
>+two different numbers.
>+
>+I know 5.0.x has a -k option to df to show options in 1024K blocks.

>512-*byte* and 1024-*byte* blocks.

>+Not sure about 4.2.

>No -k prior to 5.0.

>    John

Ooops.  I meant that.  That's what I get for posting after a long day
at work.  Bytes, K, Megs, Gigs... What's the difference... :)

Jef Waite
SCO ACE
Mei Software Systems, inc.