Scologin fails

Post by Michael Spicy » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Installed ver 5.0.4 - Scologin worked fine (ea X worked OK)
Suddenly, without apparent reason, I get :

        Scologin is starting (/dev/tty02). Please wait ...

And it stays that way!

I can sucesfully run startx from other console tty's (ea tty01,
tty03-12).

Any clues?

Scologin fails

Post by Michael Spicyn, P » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > Installed ver 5.0.4 - Scologin worked fine (ea X worked OK)
> > Suddenly, without apparent reason, I get :

> >       Scologin is starting (/dev/tty02). Please wait ...

> > And it stays that way!

> > I can sucesfully run startx from other console tty's (ea tty01,
> > tty03-12).

> > Any clues?

> From one of those other ttys, use `ps -ft02` to see what's running on
> tty02.

> Look in /usr/lib/grafinfo/grafdev: this file defines a mapping between

> console tty numbers and video modes.  Has the tty02 line been changed?

> `lsof` -- ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof -- use it to
> learn
> what files are opened by the hung X server process.

> `scologin disable` from single-user mode, then go multi-user; scologin

> won't start.  Now run `startx` on tty02.  This distinguishes between
> an
> X server problem and a scologin problem.

> Show us the grafinfo entry if you can't solve it yourself.

> >Bela<

   For what it worth:
While the X still would not start on tty02, I have started X on tty03,
worked for a while, and then shut the session down. (I dont think I shut
down the X session in previous invocation on non-tty02, just rebooted
the system with X sesson stil running on non-tty02)

Now, I rebooted and ... X starts just fine on tty02 !!!

Scologin fails

Post by Bela Lubki » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Installed ver 5.0.4 - Scologin worked fine (ea X worked OK)
> Suddenly, without apparent reason, I get :

>    Scologin is starting (/dev/tty02). Please wait ...

> And it stays that way!

> I can sucesfully run startx from other console tty's (ea tty01,
> tty03-12).

> Any clues?

From one of those other ttys, use `ps -ft02` to see what's running on
tty02.

Look in /usr/lib/grafinfo/grafdev: this file defines a mapping between
console tty numbers and video modes.  Has the tty02 line been changed?

`lsof` -- ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof -- use it to learn
what files are opened by the hung X server process.

`scologin disable` from single-user mode, then go multi-user; scologin
won't start.  Now run `startx` on tty02.  This distinguishes between an
X server problem and a scologin problem.

Show us the grafinfo entry if you can't solve it yourself.

Quote:>Bela<

1. Scologin fails on new 5.0.4 installation

I need suggestions on where to look to fix this problem: Scologin
enable,
starts scologin on tty02 but when you try to log in, the screen clears
to background for a half second or so, and then returns to the login
screen.

The command startx on any console tty works without problem.

This is a fresh installation of 5.0.4 on a new Seagate ST32166N SCSI
disk.

OS 5.0.4 was preloaded on the new disk by installing it in my office
system as ID0, performing the install and deferring the network
configuration and mouse until the hard disk was installed in the
client's
computer.

When I installed the disk in the client's system, I ran netconfig and
all
is well with the network. I ran mkdev mouse and set the mouse to the
wrong serial port (tty2a when tty2A is being used for the modem). After
the kernel rebuild, I executed scologin enable and noticed that the
mouse
did not move on the scologin screen. I removed the mouse on tty2a and
installed it on tty1a, rebuilt the kernel, rebooted and noticed that the
mouse moved on the scologin screen but when I tried to log in, got a
blank
screen (graphics background) and then the screen cleared and reverted to
the scologin screen again.

I used scoadmin -> video configuration. Noted that the video card was
identified as IBM VGA at 640X480. I chose 'remove video card,' and
'add video card' and OS 5.0.4 detected STB-something, (I didn't note
the exact name displayed, sorry) which I accepted, and set the
resolution
to 640X480 256 color, with 'other 14" monitor."  Disabling and
reenabling
scologin and still, the same problem.

At that time I tried startx on tty09 (the first time I had tried startx
on this installation) and it worked. I then tried scologin again but
still the same results: Scologin screen displays ok, enter root and
password, screen clears to graphics background (never shows the
configuration startup screen) and then after 1/2 to 1 second, clears to
character mode black and then redisplays the scologin screen again.

Anyone seen this before?

                                     Steve Fabac
                                      S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                       816/765-1670

2. Scripting Help: tar a dir with time and date as file tar file name..................TIA

3. HDS X-terms fail scologin

4. New Redhat 4.0 install, can't log in as root

5. Kernel 2.1.x fails to compile... and fails... and fails...

6. how do I send a broadcast without an IP or route?

7. scologin and eXceed 4?

8. proc already mounted or busy??

9. scologin access control

10. OSR5 hangs at GUI Scologin

11. startx vs. scologin

12. Setting PATH with scologin on ODT 5.0

13. login hosed, scologin OK?