PPP/SLIP connection from NT to SCO Unix through direct cable connection

PPP/SLIP connection from NT to SCO Unix through direct cable connection

Post by Bengt Bredenbe » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

We produce client/server software based on winsock using Win3.1/Win95/WinNT as client
and SCO Unix as server. The normal configuration uses network cards and LAN:s. In some
cases we would like to use direct serial cables between the PC COM port and the Unix serial
port still using Winsock i.e. using PPP/SLIP connections.
I remember some years ago testing this with FTP PC/TCP:s SLIP and our Unix-machine and it
worked quite well. Now the same need has occured again, to connect a WinNT4.0 or Win95 WS
to our Unix server, without any modem-equipment in between.
My first question is -  is it possible to do this.  I have been trying it for a while without getting
anywhere. On the SCOUnix side I tried both PPP and SLIP (the slip-configuration was much easier)
and on the NT side the corresponding settings.
On NT I used :
Dial using: DialUp Networking Serial Cable between to PC:s
Dial-Up server type: SLIP/Internet (also PPP/Internet)
- only TCP/IP protocol
- TCP/IP Setting (=address of Unixserver)
.
The Dial-command gives always Error 651...
I have not been able to ping, ftp or telnet in any direction. The dial-up monitor
shows an "User connecting" condition, when trying ping from the server side but thats all.

Is there any easy solution to this or any solution at all. What configuration details have I possibly
missed. Do anyone of you have a working intallation like this, or any examples how you did it.

Yours sincerely
Bengt Bredenberg
Oy Esmi Ab, Finland

Post by Chad Lemme » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> We produce client/server software based on winsock using Win3.1/Win95/WinNT as client
> and SCO Unix as server. The normal configuration uses network cards and LAN:s. In some
> cases we would like to use direct serial cables between the PC COM port and the Unix serial
> port still using Winsock i.e. using PPP/SLIP connections.
> I remember some years ago testing this with FTP PC/TCP:s SLIP and our Unix-machine and it
> worked quite well. Now the same need has occured again, to connect a WinNT4.0 or Win95 WS
> to our Unix server, without any modem-equipment in between.
> My first question is -  is it possible to do this.  I have been trying it for a while without getting
> anywhere. On the SCOUnix side I tried both PPP and SLIP (the slip-configuration was much easier)
> and on the NT side the corresponding settings.
> On NT I used :
> Dial using: DialUp Networking Serial Cable between to PC:s
> Dial-Up server type: SLIP/Internet (also PPP/Internet)
> - only TCP/IP protocol
> - TCP/IP Setting (=address of Unixserver)
> .
> The Dial-command gives always Error 651...
> I have not been able to ping, ftp or telnet in any direction. The dial-up monitor
> shows an "User connecting" condition, when trying ping from the server side but thats all.

> Is there any easy solution to this or any solution at all. What configuration details have I possibly
> missed. Do anyone of you have a working intallation like this, or any examples how you did it.

> Yours sincerely
> Bengt Bredenberg
> Oy Esmi Ab, Finland

Try FacetWin it works really good with a PPP connection.  You can get an
eval from http://www.facetcorp.com