SCO->HP/UX incompatibility with HP C1533 DAT tape (fwd)

Post by Chris Drauc » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi once again,

> > I have tried to read tape in raw format (tapedump, dd and cat /dev/nrStp0),
> > but always I have got "end of media" at the beginning of the tape.
> > I suppose there is SCO driver for SCSI tape incompatibility.
> > x86 Solaris 2.4 with my HP C1533 can find data on the tape like HP/UX.

> What backup software are you using and (I don't have your original post
> in front of me) what version of SCO.  Is OSR5, there is a tape driver
> supplement and possibly some new drivers in AHS 5.1.  You might also
> check out the Problems and SOlutions Database at sosco.sco.com (telnet).
> (I use QIC and shared my experience with a command line flag for cpio as
> a long shot.  I have no experience with DAT drives, HP or otherwise.)

As I remember, the difference between SCO OSx and Solaris using the HP
C1533 DAT is the block mode. HP/SUN is using the DAT via the variable
block mode, SCO the fixed block length. You could change the jumpers
on HP C1533 - but I do not know if OS5 is supporting the variable block
mode.

--
Chris

SCO->HP/UX incompatibility with HP C1533 DAT tape (fwd)

Post by Wojtek Rebaj » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I wish to thank everybody in this thread. My problem HP/UX->SCO
incompatibility is  partialy solved. I have got uod376c patch from SCO ftp
server ( ftp.sco.com )
in SSL directory. The tape was written in variable block length and SCO
3.2.4.2 cannot it read. The uod376c pach solves with fixed block length
other then 512 (typical for SCO) but in variable block mode is still bug.
The larger block preceded by the smaller is truncated to the smaler
block length!!!.
Does enybody have experience with it?
Mayby the later versions of SCO can correctly handle variable block length
tape
on SCSI DAT ?

--

IITiS PAN         |
ul. Baltycka 5    |  Institute of Theoretical

1. SCO->HP/UX incompatibility with HP C1533 DAT tape

Hi, I have SCO 3.2.4.2 with SCSI Adaptec AHA1540 and 4mm HP C1533 DAT tape
drive. Howewer I can normally operate tape on my system, I cannot read tape
written on HP/UX 9000 (Apollo 9000 with HP DCLZ 4mm tape drive).
HP/UX 9000 reads tapes written on SCO (one way incompatibility).
I have tried to force hardware compression on my drive, but it doesn't work.
Could somebody slove this problem ?
Thank you for interest,

--

IITiS PAN         |
ul. Baltycka 5    |  Institute of Theoretical
44-100 Gliwice    |  and Applied Computer Science,
Poland            |  Polish Academy of Sciences

2. Microsoft mouse in Win95 ms-dos mode?

3. DAT TAPE DRIVES: Wangtek can't read HP DAT tapes

4. SMB printing to an Epson Stylus Color

5. Q: HP C1533 DAT AutoLoader .

6. Stability in recent kernels...

7. HP C1533-A 4mm DAT Drive

8. Linux on Dell Inspiron or Latitude ???

9. Dat-3 Streamer: Read Linux Tapes with HP-UX

10. How can I make HP-UX read Linux dds (dat) tar tapes?

11. Linux/HP-UX DAT Tape problems?

12. Advisory on HP Surestore external DAT tape on HP Netserve

13. Etherneting SCO box to HP-9000 HP-UX box