Q: ATI MACH 64 + SCO

Post by Berni Ern » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi there !

I have a Pentium machine running SCO Open Server. Graphics adapter
was a ATI Mach 64 with 2 MB DRAM which worked fine.
Now I installed a newer ATI MACH 64 with 4 MB VRAM, using the
same generic SCO driver.

What happens now is the following:

text mode is OK of course. When I start X11 the screen stays dark but
hard disk activity shows that something is happenig. When I switch
with ALT-Fn key to another virtual console and then back to my
console I have the X screen and everything works properly.

OK, I can live with this small bug. Bug a solution would be much
better. Where do I have to look after ? Some hints from the SCO
gurus ?

thx in advance

berni

 |              Tel. 06401/903883, 903885          |

Q: ATI MACH 64 + SCO

Post by Peter Bergstro » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi Berni!

> Hi there !

> I have a Pentium machine running SCO Open Server. Graphics adapter
> was a ATI Mach 64 with 2 MB DRAM which worked fine.
> Now I installed a newer ATI MACH 64 with 4 MB VRAM, using the
> same generic SCO driver.

> What happens now is the following:

> text mode is OK of course. When I start X11 the screen stays dark but
> hard disk activity shows that something is happenig. When I switch
> with ALT-Fn key to another virtual console and then back to my
> console I have the X screen and everything works properly.

> OK, I can live with this small bug. Bug a solution would be much
> better. Where do I have to look after ? Some hints from the SCO
> gurus ?

I think your problem is of the same character as the one I
experinced with Diamond Stealth S3 Trio64 chip. I think it
is basically a conflict problem with vga-memory and system-memory.
To solv my problem I had to edit the MEMORY-statment in the
xgi-file for my graphic card, you will find your xgi-file in
/usr/lib/grafinfo/ati/ and you are probably useing mach64.xgi.
As I can see, mach64.xgi specifies a base address starting at
640K this might be okey for a 2MB-card but when you change to
4MB it might interfere with the system.

I have heard that SCO have released a patch for some problems
with ATI-cards, it might be a good idea to check out
ftp://ftp.sco.com/AHS/5.0/sco/5.2/README before you
start to make som changes to the xgi-files.

                               ,,,