SCO 4.4.2/ODT 3.0-What Pentium based portables work?

SCO 4.4.2/ODT 3.0-What Pentium based portables work?

Post by Kostas Kritsil » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

        In order to run a Genrad test program generation application, I
require the use of a mobile (portable) SCO 3.4.2 environment. The
current procurement guidelines mandate that a Pentium based laptop be
purchased. Does anybody use a Pentium based laptop to run SCO
3.4.2/ODT?

        The SCO technical FAQ doesn't seem to cover this area. The
Hardware Compatibility Guide (Jan/96) and the online Guide only show
the Toshiba T4900CT as the only Pentium based laptop to be useable.
This unit is not available (out of production). Any expriences with
this would be very helpful. Post to this newsgroup, or e-mail are both
fine

        Thank you for your time, and for any responses, in advance.

                                                Kostas

Post by Rod Cheshir » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>         In order to run a Genrad test program generation application, I
> require the use of a mobile (portable) SCO 3.4.2 environment. The
> current procurement guidelines mandate that a Pentium based laptop be
> purchased. Does anybody use a Pentium based laptop to run SCO
> 3.4.2/ODT?

<snip snip >
                                                Kostas

We are using Dell and Leo. Most Pentium based laptops should work,
provided the correct graphics driver exists.

If the laptop you are intending to buy uses Chips and Tecnologies
graphics chip, you will need the soon to be published Advanced
Hardware Supplement (AHS5.2) from Sco.

--
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------
/* Rod Cheshire Senior Software Engineer

/* Eat, Play, Drink, Smoke and Talk Dirty.

1. SCO ODT 3.0 + Merge, need more than 490 KB Base Memory

Hi all,

I have to compile some Progress programs on an old DOS version of
Progress which I'm running under SCO Merge, part of ODT 3.0. When I
start DOS with "dos +m2 +ems2" it gives me 2 MB of EMS Memory 640 KB
of Base RAM and about 1 MB of XMS Memory. Of the 640 KB Base, it
leaves me with 502288 bytes, about 490 KB. I have tried fiddling with
config.sys (DOS=HIGH, DOS=UMB, loaded highmem.sys, etc.) but the best
I can get is about 500 KB when I leave the emm.sys line out. This is
still not enough to compile some of the lager programs. If I could get
DOS to load high, I could probably free another 40 or 50 KB, but how?

Any help welcome,
Thanx in advance.

Chris
--
----------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

   Consultancy Services, Programming,   | Phone (24h):         +27 82 445-3804
  Shareware, Freeware and PD Software   | Snail Mail:             P.O.Box 2485
     PROGRESS, Linux, SCO, Windows      |          Edenvale 1610, South Africa
 Strictly: Jeans, Sneakers, Non-Smoking | URL:       http://www.eurassi.co.za/
----------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

2. What next???? Can't reboot following crash.. CD-ROM no use either!!!

3. Q: lp commands do not work for normal user on SCO ODT 3.0 - why??

4. linux router help

5. Windows in SCO ODT 3.0 and SCO 5

6. Help on e-mail ( don't want use windows programs )

7. DHCP with SCO ODT 5 and SCO ODT 3?

8. /dev/fd/3: Bad file number ....

9. Cyrix Pentium vs. ODT 3.0

10. ODT Lite 3.0 on Pentium PCI Board

11. Needed: HTTPD 1.4+ for SCO ODT Lite & Pentium binary

12. ODT 3.0 Device Drivers with ODT 5.0?

13. CAP on SCO ODT 3.0