Non Maskable Interrupts

Post by Bela Lubki » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I have received the following message twice on a Compaq Proliant 800
> running 5.0.2 with 64 megs RAM and a half dozen or so users connected
> serially.  Is this a kernel tunable parameter that I can get to with
> configure and what is a reasonable value for this size system?

> Notice K-TRAP unexpected NMI in system mode.

An NMI is a hardware signal from the motherboard or an add-in board.  It
usually means something is seriously wrong in the hardware.  Does it
give no more details than that?  Do you have Compaq's utilities
installed (Compaq Health Monitor, etc.)?  I would expect those to give
considerably better detail than just "NMI in system mode"...

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Currently
posting from Moscow, Russia.  Next: St. Petersburg; then Europe.  Stories

1. : Knowledge about non-maskable interrupts (NMI)

Hi folks,

I have got a Compaq Presario 1215 Laptop and Linux Redhat 6.0 installed.
All works beautifully except when I hit one of the special access buttons
like Volume of the speakers or play/stop of the CD player. Then I get error
messages on the screen like:

Uhhuh, NMI received for unknown reason 28
Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

These messages pop up every second and the harddisk is being accessed at
the same time. Sometimes it is also an "unknown reason 38" instead of "28".

Is there any way to "mask" these hardware interrupt by brute force?

Thanks in advance - David.

2. getting my machine back from LILO

3. Non-maskable interrupt

4. Apache copyright question

5. Is it possible to register Interrupts in device-driver's in non-init entry point

6. Custom 3.0 -> 5.0

7. patchadd fails on non-global non-sparse non-running zones

8. hangs on verifying dmi pool with hard drive

9. X Behavior - non interrupt driven

10. netif_rx from non interrupt context

11. Interrupt registration in non-init context

12. How to run NON-ATAPI Mitsumi CDROM without interrupts ?

13. NEx000 and 1.2.9: Interrupted while interrupts are masked!