Is SCO Support good??

Post by Eileen Hilbur » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

Thanks,

Eileen

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Shane Y. Gibso » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
> any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

Eileen...

The last time I was an enduser of SCO Technical Support,
was in 1994.  I had there high end support contract, and
found that my support representative (Yasmin Kureshi) was
awesome.  She worked hard, got everything done in blinding
speed...

But, the technicians I dealt with (at the time), were fine
for small useless problems, but when it came to hard to
solve issues, it was like pulling teeth to get anything
fixed.  They have a tiered support system, so you initially
talk to a Tier 1 (or not very sharp) technicion, you waste
an hour or two, then you end up talking to a Tier 2 technicion
(someone who can finally ask decent questions...), and then
they can't solve it, then you end up waiting for a day or
so for a Tier 3 technician to become available for a call-back.

Then, they can't fix it.  That was my general experience...

Now...I've heard some good things about some of their people,
and some people have indeed had  very positive feedback.

I know a lot has changed in the support department at SCO,
as I used to work for SCO, in the I.S. group.  Things may
or may not be better...

I've also heard that going through and Independent reseller
for support tends to be your best bet, instead of direct
support through SCO...

With all things in computers, your mileage will vary...

v/r
Shane

         "We need to understand that man belongs to Earth;
                and not that Earth belongs to man."

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Fulko He » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
> any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

Its not bad, if you get past the front lines.

(But nothing is as good as Digitals' used to be 10 years ago.
Then again, it wasn't cheap, but always less than a 1 hour
callback (if you didn't get anyone immediately) and always
a knowledgeable person)

I sure miss having Bela on the mail to answer those tough
questions.   Hint hint hint to SCO!!

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Fulko He » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >--I sure miss having Bela on the mail to answer those tough
> >--questions.   Hint hint hint to SCO!!

> its not sco! its bela! he has a house now as well as a new wife.
> sco has Nothing to do with it! i went to their house warming just sunday.

> and i miss seeing him here too... :(

let me rephrase that.....

hint to SCO to give him time during work hours to be technical support.
Its bad enough everyone else works on this stuff during non-office
hours, I hate to encourage it.

Hmmm.  I just thought, maybe he like writting code _better_ than
answering emails.  :-)

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> hint to SCO to give him time during work hours to be technical support.
> Its bad enough everyone else works on this stuff during non-office
> hours, I hate to encourage it.

> Hmmm.  I just thought, maybe he like writting code _better_ than
> answering emails.  :-)

I was thinking today that I miss Bela here, but..

I also recognize that he is an unusually bright and talented
person and that those talents are probably needed more within
the organization than without.

After all, if the product gets more bulletproof, less
support is needed everywhere..

--

SCO ACE
SCO articles, help, book reviews: http://www.aplawrence.com

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Nachman Yaakov Ziskin » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> I sure miss having Bela on the mail to answer those tough
> questions.   Hint hint hint to SCO!!

Perhaps he is busy spawning child process? :-)

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, CNE

Economic Group Pension Services         http://egps.com

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
>any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

You may want to look around for an authorized SCO reseller - see
the SCO pages - that really know their stuff.  Typically it's a
per/hour charge - and if you stump them they can typically get a
response from SCO within an hour or so.  These are people who are
working in the field all the time and go through the same problems
the rest of us do.

I've been using the same guy since 1983 (well he wasn't quite on
SCO at that time - that came in 1985) even though he's 1000 miles
away.

If you don't need someone in town to hold your hand, and don't have
a problem with telephone support - a really good support company
will often outperform the SCO support - at least on the front line
- and instead of being one person of tens-of-thousands you're one
of few hundred - and you'll get to know each - and they'll know
your system.

In this scenario I only had a problem with a major vendor's serial
board.   Tech support there couldn't find the problem.  I called my
vendor.  Stumped them too.  Within and hour they had called SCO,
and they were also stumped.

One more call to the serial vendor and got the best tech they had -
and they shipped a lot of boards.  After trying several tests he
suggested it was the power supply on the computer.  He had seen
this twice in about 5 years.

But the computer ran fine.  However - one of the 12V signals does
only one thing - it supplies power to the serial devices.
Everything else will run perfectly.  That's a weird one - and I'd
say that probably over 95% - maybe 99% - of the computer support
people don't know that one.

The entire problem took 3 hours total time to solve.  Considering
that it was not ordinary that was pretty good.

I'm not putting down SCO support - but saying that if you can get a
working relationship with a good vendor - you'll probably be
happier in the end.

--

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> One more call to the serial vendor and got the best tech they had -
> and they shipped a lot of boards.  After trying several tests he
> suggested it was the power supply on the computer.  He had seen
> this twice in about 5 years.

---

Quote:> I'm not putting down SCO support - but saying that if you can get a
> working relationship with a good vendor - you'll probably be
> happier in the end.

In fairness to SCO, I'd like to point out that they have
made calls to hardware vendors also when the problem has them
stumped.  But I agree with Bill: it's generally easier
to work with a good vendor..

--

Post by Gary Quiri » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
>any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

I have Premier support and feels it's a waste of money.  5 calls costs
$1800 dollars per year.

The tiers are the problem.  When you first get on the line with someone,
it's obvious that you know more than that person.  All they are able to do
is search through the Technical Database which you can do yourself at
www.sco.com/ta.

Esculating the call can get a sharp person, but that takes days!  Typically
if I have a problem, I need an answer the same day.  I also have found that
SCO too often likes to blame the hardware, where it clearly is a software
bug.

It's going to depend on your technical skills if you find value in their
support.

Gary Quiring

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Ben Rosentha » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
> any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

> Thanks,

> Eileen

I have purchased premium support from SCO.  The service is as described by
others in this thread.  I keep it as an insurance policy.  In a crisis I
want to be able to use all the tools.  I have a local APC that is very
helpful.  Unfortunately with new upgrades sometimes they do not have the
answer.  So I will get the local VAR. on the phone with tech support from
SCO and with all of us in the same "room" the combined experience can
figure it out.

This allows me to move up the support ladder at both organizations.  Then
when I am at the highest level at both.  We do the conference call.  I have
only done this once, but with any good contingency plan you need options.
I believe that this is superior to MS or others in that you can *plan* how
the support will happen.

As for cost I justify it this way.  If the system is really a central tool
of the business (mission critical), then the $1500 is easily offset by the
time saved by not shooting in the dark and spending hours on hold.

Ben Rosenthal
Optical/Retail POS Solutions

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Don Le » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > hint to SCO to give him time during work hours to be technical support.
> > Its bad enough everyone else works on this stuff during non-office
> > hours, I hate to encourage it.

> > Hmmm.  I just thought, maybe he like writting code _better_ than
> > answering emails.  :-)

> I was thinking today that I miss Bela here, but..

> I also recognize that he is an unusually bright and talented
> person and that those talents are probably needed more within
> the organization than without.

> After all, if the product gets more bulletproof, less
> support is needed everywhere..

Bela may be more useful in providing a more bulletproof OS, but
there was nothing like having a problem/question and get a reply
from Bela, because if there was a solution, Bela would tell what it
is or give you the best hint out there of where to go next. I have
never understood how he could answer so many posts and each
post be so detailed and clear on each post.

I'm glad to hear that his absence is not due to SCO and maybe
at some point he will have more time and start appearing once
again.

Don

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Steve Wer » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
: any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

I can't comment on the support aspect, but I can tell you about the
Technical Articles at www.sco.com.  Considering your last post
regarding two problems you had, these do not need support contracts
to solve.  All you need is a good look through the support area
at the SCO web site.

-sw

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Radek Tomi » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> [snip]

> > I sure miss having Bela on the mail to answer those tough
> > questions.   Hint hint hint to SCO!!

> Perhaps he is busy spawning child process? :-)

That's unlikely. Before you are going to make a new child, you usually
just fork yourself unless you want to commit suicide. Then  your clone
takes care of it, and you don't have to give a damn until SIGCLD, which
is usually unlikely before your own dead either. OTOH, fork procedure
itself is probably time consuming, so you may be right..

Folks, fork would help us a lot. We could clone ourselves and be more
flexible. The first instance would take care of daily job. The 2nd one
would be caring for family, 3rd one going out fishing (or other
recreation) and the last one would be sitting all day long reading and
responding to SCO newsgroups.

--
Radek Tomis

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Joe Schol » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

If you feel comfortable with SCO Unix from an administration level, and only
plan on using one or two applications on a server, then I do not believe
support is needed.

If however you plan to use the Enterprise version and use all SCO Unix has
to offer, support may be a good idea.

Regardless, do get the software maintenance.  We just received 5.05 and with
it VisionFS 2.1.  Without SWiM, we would of had to pay for both.

Joe Scholz

>I am considering getting a support contract with SCO.  Does anyone have
>any experience with SCO?  Is the support worthwhile?

>Thanks,

>Eileen

Is SCO Support good??

Post by Joe Schol » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Remember when he took a trip around the world and still made time to answer
posts?

Thats dedication.

Joe Scholz