No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

Post by Paige McGe » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I have a remote office running Windows 95.  My corporate headquarters
network is NT.  At corporate headquarters, we have a SCO Unix box for our
accounting software.

Before upgrading to SCO Unix 5.0.5 I connected to a remote NT network via an
ISDN line across a router.  Since upgrading, I can connect to the NT
network, but cannot hit the Unix box.  I can't even ping the Unix box.  The
ping request times out.

From the Unix box, pinging my remote computer, I receive the error message:
"no route to host".

Research told me to "/etc/route add default <corporate headquarters router
ip address>".  When I run this command on the fly or within /etc/ tcp I
receive "/etc/route:  syntax error at line 1:  '(' unexpected".  There is no
( in my command.

Can anyone help me?  Thanks.

No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Paige McGee propounded (on Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:20:11AM -0500):
| I have a remote office running Windows 95.  My corporate headquarters
| network is NT.  At corporate headquarters, we have a SCO Unix box for our
| accounting software.
|
| Before upgrading to SCO Unix 5.0.5 I connected to a remote NT network via an
| ISDN line across a router.  Since upgrading, I can connect to the NT
| network, but cannot hit the Unix box.  I can't even ping the Unix box.  The
| ping request times out.
|
| >From the Unix box, pinging my remote computer, I receive the error message:
| "no route to host".
|
| Research told me to "/etc/route add default <corporate headquarters router
| ip address>".  When I run this command on the fly or within /etc/ tcp I
| receive "/etc/route:  syntax error at line 1:  '(' unexpected".  There is no
| ( in my command.

But apparently there is a ( in the /etc/route binary.

I suspect that binary is corrupt. sum -r /etc/route should produce:
        00185    48 /etc/route

It is usually not a good idea to run the route command within /etc/tcp.
That's too soon.  Put it in a late-running rc2.d script, e.g., S99route.

--
JP

Post by Jose Fernando S. Mascarenha » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I have a remote office running Windows 95.  My corporate headquarters
> network is NT.  At corporate headquarters, we have a SCO Unix box for our
> accounting software.

> Before upgrading to SCO Unix 5.0.5 I connected to a remote NT network via an
> ISDN line across a router.  Since upgrading, I can connect to the NT
> network, but cannot hit the Unix box.  I can't even ping the Unix box.  The
> ping request times out.

> From the Unix box, pinging my remote computer, I receive the error message:
> "no route to host".

> Research told me to "/etc/route add default <corporate headquarters router
> ip address>".  When I run this command on the fly or within /etc/ tcp I
> receive "/etc/route:  syntax error at line 1:  '(' unexpected".  There is no
> ( in my command.

> Can anyone help me?  Thanks.

Hi,

The /etc/tcp isn't a good place to put the route command.
Make a script called /etc/rc2.d/S99route and put the route command.
Then do a "chmod 755 /etc/rc2.d/S99route" and try to execute it.
Your route command is probaly corrupted or your link is missed.
Try to run custom command and do the following steps:
Software ---> Verify System ---> (*) Broken/missing symbolic links.

You must also check the sum of the executable file.
My OSR505 box return:

# sum /etc/route
64289 48 /etc/route

If your sum result isn't equal, restore the route command from
CD midia.

TIA,

J. Fernando

No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

Post by Paige McGe » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am new to the Wonderful World of Unix.  On
my host,

# sum /etc/route

Quote:> 37305 23 /etc/route

How would I restore just the route command from my cd media?

Post by Jimmy Madde » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> >Please excuse my ignorance, but I am new to the Wonderful World of Unix.
> > On
> >my host,

> ># sum /etc/route
> >> 37305 23 /etc/route

> >How would I restore just the route command from my cd media?

> >our

> >via an
> >The

> >message:

> >router
> >is no

> >> Hi,

> >> The /etc/tcp isn't a good place to put the route command.
> >> Make a script called /etc/rc2.d/S99route and put the route command.
> >> Then do a "chmod 755 /etc/rc2.d/S99route" and try to execute it.
> >> Your route command is probaly corrupted or your link is missed.
> >> Try to run custom command and do the following steps:
> >> Software ---> Verify System ---> (*) Broken/missing symbolic links.

> >> You must also check the sum of the executable file.
> >> My OSR505 box return:

> >> # sum /etc/route
> >> 64289 48 /etc/route

> >> If your sum result isn't equal, restore the route command from
> >> CD midia.

> >> TIA,

> >> J. Fernando

Try using /sbin/route instead.

--
Can't find REALITY.SYS  - Universe halted.
Replace NOSPAM with jmadden to email me.

No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

Post by Tom Parson » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Jimmy Madden enscribed:

| > >Please excuse my ignorance, but I am new to the Wonderful World of Unix.
| > > On
| > >my host,
| > >
| > ># sum /etc/route
| > >
| > >How would I restore just the route command from my cd media?

| > >our

| > >via an
| > >The

| > >message:

| > >router
| > >is no

| Try using /sbin/route instead.

So he can now puzzle over the message:

/sbin/route: not found

No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

Post by Tom Parson » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Paige McGee enscribed:
| Please excuse my ignorance, but I am new to the Wonderful World of Unix.  On
| my host,
|
| # sum /etc/route
| > 37305 23 /etc/route
|
| How would I restore just the route command from my cd media?
|

| > > I have a remote office running Windows 95.  My corporate headquarters
| > > network is NT.  At corporate headquarters, we have a SCO Unix box for
| our
| > > accounting software.
| > >
| > > Before upgrading to SCO Unix 5.0.5 I connected to a remote NT network
| via an
| > > ISDN line across a router.  Since upgrading, I can connect to the NT
| > > network, but cannot hit the Unix box.  I can't even ping the Unix box.
| The
| > > ping request times out.
| > >
| > > From the Unix box, pinging my remote computer, I receive the error
| message:
| > > "no route to host".
| > >
| > > Research told me to "/etc/route add default <corporate headquarters
| router
| > > ip address>".  When I run this command on the fly or within /etc/ tcp I
| > > receive "/etc/route:  syntax error at line 1:  '(' unexpected".  There
| is no
| > > ( in my command.
| > >
| > > Can anyone help me?  Thanks.
| >
| > Hi,
| >
| > The /etc/tcp isn't a good place to put the route command.
| > Make a script called /etc/rc2.d/S99route and put the route command.
| > Then do a "chmod 755 /etc/rc2.d/S99route" and try to execute it.
| > Your route command is probaly corrupted or your link is missed.
| > Try to run custom command and do the following steps:
| > Software ---> Verify System ---> (*) Broken/missing symbolic links.
| >
| > You must also check the sum of the executable file.
| > My OSR505 box return:
| >
| > # sum /etc/route
| > 64289 48 /etc/route
| >
| > If your sum result isn't equal, restore the route command from
| > CD midia.

scoadmin software

No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Jimmy Madden propounded (on Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 04:13:47PM -0500):

| > >Please excuse my ignorance, but I am new to the Wonderful World of
| > >Unix.  On my host,
| > >
| > ># sum /etc/route

| > >How would I restore just the route command from my cd media?

Please don't top-post.  The answer belongs where I moved it, so we can
easily see the difference.  Is your release 5.0.5 also?

| Try using /sbin/route instead.

On which release of OSR 5 was there ever a route binary in /sbin???

--
JP

1. syntax error at line 18: `end of file' unexpected

Most likely, one of your conditionals or loops is not closed.  That is,
there's an 'if' without a closing 'fi,' a 'case' without a closing
'esac,' or a 'do' without a 'done.'  The shell is searching for whatever
it's missing until it gets to the end of the file, then it issues the
error.
--
UUCP:           {rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans

Tim Evans       2201 Brookhaven Ct, Fallston, MD 21047

2. Pipes vs. FIFO's vs ????

3. ./monitor: syntax error at line 86: `end of file' unexpected

4. Using two PPP devices

5. ./mozilla-bin: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected

6. 42% packet lose with new rtl8139b cards

7. syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected

8. "traceroute" what & how?

9. Q: "sh: syntax error at line 1: `end of file' unexpected"

10. On SunOS =>syntax error: `(' unexpected"

11. syntax error at line 27 : `do' unexpected

12. 'No route to host' routing problems

13. GCC 2.11 "Parse error before '('