SCO Merge: Teamlinks / Shared Apps

Post by Sean Heal » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I have two questions pertaining to SCO Merge; hopefully, someone will be
able to help.

The first has to do with running DEC's Teamlinks mail program under Merge.
We're using Teamlinks v2.1, with Windows Sockets as the transport.  From
what I'veseen our setup works.  However, I've had reports from other
users indicating that Teamlinks will freeze their Merge "window".  The
freeze only seems to occur when any type of network access is performed,
and it is very random.  We're using Merge 3.2.2t w/SCO 3.2v5.0.0 (the HP
500 workstation setup) and Windows 3.1.  I'm wondering if two people
hitting the winsock at the same time could be causing the problem.  The
users having the problem are able to close their SCO Merge windows.
They've left Teamlinks sitting for hours waiting for it to respond to no
avail.  All control of the Windows session is lost.  (Note:  It is common
to have slow access from our Teamlinks server, but the PC never locks up
like this.)

Is anyone else using Teamlinks with SCO Merge?  I'd really like to hear
from you.

The other thing I'm trying to do is share more applications.  For example,
we're providing ws_ftp as a method to send files to and from a workspace
(virtual disk).  I can install this program in each user's home directory,
and they can run it fine.  However, when I try to share the application
(having them run the same .EXE from a shared directory) I get "share
violation" errors. Is this due to the nature of the program, or should I
be able to share executables?  Microsoft Office is installed to be shared,
and its components work fine executing from the shared directory.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Sean.

---

SCO Merge: Teamlinks / Shared Apps

Post by Richard Petkiewi » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>The other thing I'm trying to do is share more applications.  For example,
>we're providing ws_ftp as a method to send files to and from a workspace
>(virtual disk).  I can install this program in each user's home directory,
>and they can run it fine.  However, when I try to share the application
>(having them run the same .EXE from a shared directory) I get "share
>violation" errors. Is this due to the nature of the program, or should I
>be able to share executables?  Microsoft Office is installed to be shared,
>and its components work fine executing from the shared directory.

In general, in order to share executables, including DLLs, you need
to make them read-only.
-----

PLATINUM technology, inc.       Phone:         (310) 337-5246
Los Angeles Laboratory
9800 La Cienega Blvd
Inglewood, CA  90301