Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

Post by Jwn » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I want to rebuild the kernel with a new tape device, but current "unix"
boots to a panic, so I must boot from unix.old....When I rebuild, I want
to be able to boot from a backup "unix" kernel in case new rebuild fails
for some reason......Any help is greatly appreciated.  /stand is mounted
as protected (no read or write).

Thanks
=jwn=

Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

Post by Mark L. Wis » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to rebuild the kernel with a new tape device, but current "unix"
>boots to a panic, so I must boot from unix.old....When I rebuild, I want
>to be able to boot from a backup "unix" kernel in case new rebuild fails
>for some reason......Any help is greatly appreciated.  /stand is mounted
>as protected (no read or write).

>Thanks
>=jwn=

Simply copy the unix.old to unix.good and do whatever you want with the
kernel config and re-build... You can always get booted from the : prompt
typing unix.good

Mark
Mark L. Wise, CPIM               | Voice: (614)868-5033
President                        | Fax:   (614)868-1060

1312 Epworth Avenue              | WEB:   www.alpha2.com
Reynoldsburg, OH  43068-2116     | * Manufacturing/Distribution/Accounting SW
                                 | * WEB and E-mail Hosting Services
                                 | * Critical Server Hardware Maintenance

Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

Post by Danny Aldh » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I want to rebuild the kernel with a new tape device, but current "unix"
: boots to a panic, so I must boot from unix.old....When I rebuild, I want
: to be able to boot from a backup "unix" kernel in case new rebuild fails
: for some reason......Any help is greatly appreciated.  /stand is mounted
: as protected (no read or write).

So unmount /stand, and re-mount it read/write.
#umount /stand
#mount /dev/boot /stand

--
Danny Aldham           SCO Ace , MCSE , JAPH , DAD
I don't need to hide my e-mail address, I broke my sendmail.

Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Jwnj telecommunicated:
| I want to rebuild the kernel with a new tape device, but current "unix"
| boots to a panic, so I must boot from unix.old....When I rebuild, I want
| to be able to boot from a backup "unix" kernel in case new rebuild fails
| for some reason......Any help is greatly appreciated.  /stand is mounted
| as protected (no read or write).

 man /etc/btmnt

--

Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

Post by Jeff Raihana » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >I want to rebuild the kernel with a new tape device, but current "unix"
> >boots to a panic, so I must boot from unix.old....When I rebuild, I want
> >to be able to boot from a backup "unix" kernel in case new rebuild fails
> >for some reason......Any help is greatly appreciated.  /stand is mounted
> >as protected (no read or write).

> >Thanks
> >=jwn=

> Simply copy the unix.old to unix.good and do whatever you want with the
> kernel config and re-build... You can always get booted from the : prompt
> typing unix.good

> Mark

Of course, it sounds like you can't boot into unix now, so renaming the
kernel is not much help.  Here's what you do:  At the "boot:" prompt, just
type unix.old then press enter.  That will use unix.old as the kernel.
Then, when the system is running, do a "cp unix.old unix" (assuming you
don't want to keep a copy of your bad kernel).

Jeff Raihanan
I.S. Director, Network Behavi*HealthCare
Portland, Oregon

NBHC is a non-profit organization.