SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, 2940UW, NEC SCSI Rom

SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, 2940UW, NEC SCSI Rom

Post by RAS » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

The software is OS 5.0.2 - Booting from floppy, I get to the screen that
asks what is
the media, of course here it is a NEC ROM (SCSI - Dev=2, Board=0, Bus=0,
ID=2, LUN=0)  The adapter is the 2940UW (PCI) . I dont use the onbard PCI
IDE, therefore
it has been disabled. This is a full SCSI system.  Upon entering the proper
info fo the ROM, I get the message that it cant see the rom.  I have tried
reseating it, and changing caddies just to rid any possible hampers, but I
still get the same errors.

What do I need to do inorder to get past this setup screen? The ALAD (I
think) is the default driver.

TIA

SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, 2940UW, NEC SCSI Rom

Post by RAS » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> The software is OS 5.0.2 - Booting from floppy, I get to the screen that
> asks what is
> the media, of course here it is a NEC ROM (SCSI - Dev=2, Board=0, Bus=0,
> ID=2, LUN=0)  The adapter is the 2940UW (PCI) . I dont use the onbard PCI
> IDE, therefore
> it has been disabled. This is a full SCSI system.  Upon entering the
proper
> info fo the ROM, I get the message that it cant see the rom.  I have
tried
> reseating it, and changing caddies just to rid any possible hampers, but
> still get the same errors.

> What do I need to do inorder to get past this setup screen? The ALAD (I
> think) is the default driver.

> TIA

Hmmm, I think I found this out myself... It seems that the 2940UW is not
even supported. Pity - yet *another* downfall of FreeSCO
Much less the *required* SCSI ID of 5 for the ROM and 2 for the tape.

Post by John Hig » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: Hmmm, I think I found this out myself... It seems that the 2940UW is not
: even supported. Pity - yet *another* downfall of FreeSCO
: Much less the *required* SCSI ID of 5 for the ROM and 2 for the tape.

Pity indeed about the 2940UW.  I was just about to build a new system and
I was thinking of using it.

However, are you sure about SCSI ID 5 for CDROM (you do know you can change
it don't you)?  I use 4 just fine.

--

SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, 2940UW, NEC SCSI Rom

Post by D. Thomas Podna » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Someone better tell my 2940UW that it doesn't work on OpenServer 5/5.02
because it's been fooling me for a long time.
I've had about every hard drive we've got on it, three or four
different CDROM drives, and multiple tape drives.

Right now it has a 9GB Micropolis UltraSCSI hard dive, 15x Toshiba CDROM,
and both an HP and an Archive/Seagate/Conner DDS2 drive, and it seems
quite happy with OpenServer and UnixWare.

I can't see any possible reason for it not to work on FreeSCO.

Of course, you COULD put it in a non-bus-mastering PCI slot, or you
COULD forget that its BIOS takes up 64K instead of 32K like the 2940
and step on it with an ISA card, or you COULD terminate it wrong, since
its termination menu is highly un-intuitive, and that would surely
break it.

Not really meaning to be abrasive here.  The card works, works well,
and is fast and reliable.  I just had to make a little extra room in
low memory for it, and take extra care with cabling.  I've actually
switched to an Adaptec pre-built, pre-terminated SCSI cable that is
guaranteed to be 90 Ohm impedance, and guaranteed to have the connectors
at the appropriate distances, but it also worked with other good
quality cables.

Post by Paul Anderso » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> : Hmmm, I think I found this out myself... It seems that the 2940UW is not
> : even supported. Pity - yet *another* downfall of FreeSCO
> : Much less the *required* SCSI ID of 5 for the ROM and 2 for the tape.

> Pity indeed about the 2940UW.  I was just about to build a new system and
> I was thinking of using it.

> However, are you sure about SCSI ID 5 for CDROM (you do know you can change
> it don't you)?  I use 4 just fine.

> --

I have a 2940UW that runs just fine with SCO.  You do need the link
driver from Adaptec to be able to use to install however.  When the
Boot: comes up you type link and aladpkg and you will be off to the
races.

Paul Anderson

Post by RAS » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Someone better tell my 2940UW that it doesn't work on OpenServer 5/5.02
> because it's been fooling me for a long time.
> I've had about every hard drive we've got on it, three or four
> different CDROM drives, and multiple tape drives.

> Right now it has a 9GB Micropolis UltraSCSI hard dive, 15x Toshiba CDROM,
> and both an HP and an Archive/Seagate/Conner DDS2 drive, and it seems
> quite happy with OpenServer and UnixWare.

> I can't see any possible reason for it not to work on FreeSCO.

> Of course, you COULD put it in a non-bus-mastering PCI slot, or you
> COULD forget that its BIOS takes up 64K instead of 32K like the 2940
> and step on it with an ISA card, or you COULD terminate it wrong, since
> its termination menu is highly un-intuitive, and that would surely
> break it.

> Not really meaning to be abrasive here.  The card works, works well,
> and is fast and reliable.  I just had to make a little extra room in
> low memory for it, and take extra care with cabling.  I've actually
> switched to an Adaptec pre-built, pre-terminated SCSI cable that is
> guaranteed to be 90 Ohm impedance, and guaranteed to have the connectors
> at the appropriate distances, but it also worked with other good
> quality cables.

> |  : Hmmm, I think I found this out myself... It seems that the 2940UW is
not
> |  : even supported. Pity - yet *another* downfall of FreeSCO
> |  : Much less the *required* SCSI ID of 5 for the ROM and 2 for the
tape.

> |  Pity indeed about the 2940UW.  I was just about to build a new system
and
> |  I was thinking of using it.
> |
> |  However, are you sure about SCSI ID 5 for CDROM (you do know you can
change
> |  it don't you)?  I use 4 just fine.
> |
> |  --

Bahh, I finnally got it to install... What I did was to type link at the
:Boot prompt, then it asked, and I typed alad325...
I got a prompt to delete the previous, and all worked just fine... I did
use the Adaptec disk that came w/ the SCSI adapter... For more info , email
me... But, it  *does* work... With no help from anyone here of course... I
did this *on my own*...
See ya...

Post by RAS » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> : Hmmm, I think I found this out myself... It seems that the 2940UW is
not
> : even supported. Pity - yet *another* downfall of FreeSCO
> : Much less the *required* SCSI ID of 5 for the ROM and 2 for the tape.

> Pity indeed about the 2940UW.  I was just about to build a new system and
> I was thinking of using it.

> However, are you sure about SCSI ID 5 for CDROM (you do know you can
change
> it don't you)?  I use 4 just fine.

> --

Let me go ahead and make a complete fool of myself...  I did indeed get my
2940UW... I used the Adaptec's disk when I got the Boot:  I typed in link.
After that, I typed alad325 and it went on, It did prompt me for the disk,
and all was well.  I am such a complete fool it's not even funny...  Now,
if I can only configure SCO to use My Matrox card, I will be *very*
happy...

1. NEC SCSI adaptor problem to see NEC CD-ROM

We have major problems having Linux boot recognize our NEC SCSI host adapter
(CDXT003) to detect a NEC Multispin CDR-74 D-ROM drive.
We have changed the IRQS and Mem. addresses to no success. We have used
the 1.1.50  Kernel and the older versions. Any suggestions or help to solve
our problem is fully apprecited.

Error message:  All we get is "SCSI hosts:0"

I understand that this problem was posted before so I am more confident
that there some thoughts about this problem.

Work-Study
305 ERL
University of Missouri-Rolla

Tel: 314) 341-6538
--

2. Setting up X to allow remote clients

3. Free OpenServer / Dell XPS120c / NEC CD-ROM 273

4. IP Masquerade

5. NEC SOCKS Server on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4

6. server setup

7. scsi cd-rom on adaptec 2940UW

8. quiet scsi cdrom

9. Installation problem: SCO OpenServer 5.0 + Toshiba notebook + CD-ROM

10. (E)IDE CD-ROM problems with SCO OpenServer

11. Installing Free SCO Openserver; CD-ROM not recognised

12. Installing SCO OpenServer 5 from CD-ROM

13. drivers for a cd-rom changer for SCO OpenServer 5.0