Questions From new Unixer

Post by Ron Venem » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi all, okay I took the plunge and decided to try the Unixware 7
system. My background up to now has be all flavors of Microsoft, Os2
and Linux, but this appears to be a whole different animal :)

Okay first of all I installed the 7.01 update and nics update cause it
didn't list my nic 3c905b TX. I got that working and it recognizes the
IP address from US West Dsl service. It's dhcp but I was able to
determine the address and plug it into the Tcp/Ip configuration.

I can ping other machines within US West's router, 130.13.68.1 but
can't ping beyond that. Also Netscape out of the box says it can't
connect to anything.

Bear with my ignorance, but is there a script that I need to edit or
something else that I am overlooking?

Also I noticed that I can no longer mount a cdrom with mount -r -F
cdfs /dev/cdrom/* /mnt since I installed the 7.01 update.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ron

Questions From new Unixer

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I can ping other machines within US West's router, 130.13.68.1 but
> can't ping beyond that. Also Netscape out of the box says it can't
> connect to anything.

> Bear with my ignorance, but is there a script that I need to edit or
> something else that I am overlooking?

A default route and a /etc/resolv.conf for DNS perhaps ?

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

Questions From new Unixer

Post by Jim Richardso » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all, okay I took the plunge and decided to try the Unixware 7
> system. My background up to now has be all flavors of Microsoft, Os2
> and Linux, but this appears to be a whole different animal :)

> Okay first of all I installed the 7.01 update and nics update cause it
> didn't list my nic 3c905b TX. I got that working and it recognizes the
> IP address from US West Dsl service. It's dhcp but I was able to
> determine the address and plug it into the Tcp/Ip configuration.

> I can ping other machines within US West's router, 130.13.68.1 but
> can't ping beyond that. Also Netscape out of the box says it can't
> connect to anything.

> Bear with my ignorance, but is there a script that I need to edit or
> something else that I am overlooking?

> Also I noticed that I can no longer mount a cdrom with mount -r -F
> cdfs /dev/cdrom/* /mnt since I installed the 7.01 update.

> Help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance
> Ron

It sounds like you do not have DNS working. Check and see what's
in /etc/resolv.conf.

Try mount -F cdfs -o ro /dev/cdrom/cd*

HTH

--
Jim Richardson
I like NT because it constantly reminds me of my daughter.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Questions From new Unixer

Post by Geoff Johnso » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

7.0.1 is a total waste of time.

Get at least 7.1 or if you are using big IDE drives 7.1.1

--

Geoff Johnson

1. New Install on New HD with an Old HD Copy question

I am relatively new to using Linux and had a question about copy files
from one HD to another.

Had a Redhat 7.1 install that was working fine until I got hit with
the Linux.Slapper.Worm.  So I decided to just buy a new harddrive and
install Redhat 8.0 on it.  Now, since I was doing some webhosting on
this system, I need to pull over the files from my old HD's
/home/httpd/html dir and put it on the new HD.  Problem is, during
bootup, it always installs the old HD even though it's been put second
on the IDE chain and is SLAVE to the new HD.  Anyone have a suggestion
to make the old HD available from the new HD Redhat install so I can
just copy those files over?

If I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies.

Thanks in advance.

2. change pump to dhcpcd

3. How can I find about the size of hard drive on my machine

4. new to RH and have specific Kickstart questions and RH ISO questions

5. the __error error

6. FreeBSD firewall question + a really dumb question(yes I'm new to FreeBSD)

7. "PCMCIA probe failed" problem solved

8. SLIP/PPP -->new kernel-->new compiler-->new make

9. New way to do QOS and limit bandwidth with Linux, new site , new software Howto Included

10. NEW NEW NEW

11. NEW NEW NEW!

12. dilemma regarding new libc, new gcc and new g++