ACER IDE CD-ROM

Post by Ian Ilsl » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi Peeps,

 It probably been asked 1000's of times before but I'm pretty new to this stuff so
 bear with me.

  I am having trouble getting SCO Openserver to see my IDE drive. I have tried
  the ATAPI BTLD disk and also the AHS 5.1 supplement but I just cannot get
  it to work.

  Anyone got any sensible ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

ACER IDE CD-ROM

Post by Danny Aldh » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

: I am having trouble getting SCO Openserver to see my IDE drive. I have tried
: the ATAPI BTLD disk and also the AHS 5.1 supplement but I just cannot get
: it to work.
: Anyone got any sensible ideas ?

You don't say whether you are trying to load the OS from CDRom, or add it
after the fact. Assuming ;-) that you are trying to install from CD,
at the boot: prompt enter link<cr> , when it asks what to link enter ATAPI.
Swap floppies as it prompts. When it asks replace or add driver, say add a.
When it asks which routine, again say add a . Then it will ask which
controller. 1 for secondary,(best bet I think), 0 for primary. But this
depends on your ide controller switch settings. Then it asks which ID
of the CDRom. Select 0, and make sure that the CDRom is configured as
the master. Make sure the CD is in the drive, and that should be it.
   The AHS supplement comment makes me think you might be trying to
add it after the case. In this case use installpgk to install the
BTLD , and then mkdev scsi to add the CDROM. This part is not intuitive.
Controller type is wd, Adapter # is 0 or 1 ,(depending again on ide
settings) and the SCSI ID is 0 - master. Re-link and you are done.

Danny Aldham

ACER IDE CD-ROM

Post by Bela Lubki » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

> : I am having trouble getting SCO Openserver to see my IDE drive. I have tried
> : the ATAPI BTLD disk and also the AHS 5.1 supplement but I just cannot get
> : it to work.
> : Anyone got any sensible ideas ?

> You don't say whether you are trying to load the OS from CDRom, or add it
> after the fact. Assuming ;-) that you are trying to install from CD,
> at the boot: prompt enter link<cr> , when it asks what to link enter ATAPI.

Actually, you must use "ahslink" rather than "link".  ahslink is a newer
version of the link program.  One of the changes is that it knows how to
do an in-place replacement of a driver that's already in the booted
kernel.  The ATAPI BTLD replaces the "wd" driver that's already in the
kernel, so you must use ahslink.  (ahslink exists because there wasn't
time to do enough testing, so it was considered too risky to replace the
existing "link" with it.  It's been tested enough now; I believe newer
N00 disks will contain link & ahslink which are identical, both the new
version).

Quote:> Swap floppies as it prompts. When it asks replace or add driver, say add a.
> When it asks which routine, again say add a . Then it will ask which
> controller. 1 for secondary,(best bet I think), 0 for primary. But this
> depends on your ide controller switch settings. Then it asks which ID
> of the CDRom. Select 0, and make sure that the CDRom is configured as
> the master. Make sure the CD is in the drive, and that should be it.
>    The AHS supplement comment makes me think you might be trying to
> add it after the case. In this case use installpgk to install the
> BTLD , and then mkdev scsi to add the CDROM. This part is not intuitive.
> Controller type is wd, Adapter # is 0 or 1 ,(depending again on ide
> settings) and the SCSI ID is 0 - master. Re-link and you are done.

I'm told that you can't necessarily install the AHS BTLDs with
installpkg.  Instead, you use the Software Manager (custom) as with
other supplements...
Quote:>Bela<