Help with SCO Unix 3.2V4.2 Cant boot up unix

Help with SCO Unix 3.2V4.2 Cant boot up unix

Post by robe » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Help,

I have (i guess) a older version of SCO unix, 3.2 Ver 4.2.  I can boot the install disk on my PC and get the BOOT prompt,
but when I execute UNIX, I get a 'Panic: srmountfun - Error 22 mounting rootdev hd (1/40)'.  Could anyone tell
me what is going on.  Unfortunately, I was given the software but not the books.

Post by David Binet » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Help,

>I have (i guess) a older version of SCO unix, 3.2 Ver 4.2.  I can boot the install disk on my PC and get the BOOT prompt,
>but when I execute UNIX, I get a 'Panic: srmountfun - Error 22 mounting rootdev hd (1/40)'.  Could anyone tell
>me what is going on.  Unfortunately, I was given the software but not the books.

Installation on SCSI subsystems

The installation process for SCO OpenServer Release 5 is much more
sensitive to SCSI termination than previous releases. Because the
SCSI bus is heavily loaded during installation, incorrect termination will
prevent the installation process from completing correctly. Incorrect
SCSI termination might result in one of the two following error conditions:

    During the installation process, the following set of messages is
displayed:

    Export phase for "SCO: UNIX" failed
    Error exporting component SCO:UNIX:5.0.0nn to /{somedir}
    Error exporting packages of component SCO:UNIX to client...
    Error exporting package SCO:UNIX:RTS
    Error exporting file /var/opt/K/SCO/UNIX/...
    Error creating symbolic link of ...
    Not a directory

    When you reboot the system after an installation procedure which was
apparently successful, the following message is displayed:

    PANIC: srmountfun - Error 22 mountin rootdev hd(1/42)

Before you attempt to reinstall, follow the procedure below which applies
to your installation hardware situation to recover from these
conditions.

Internal devices
If the installation device (tape or CD-ROM) and the root device (hard disk)
are physically located on the internal bus (inside the machine):

WARNING: You must turn off the power and disconnect from the mains. There
is risk of injury to person or equipment if you do not do so.

  1.Remove all devices from the external SCSI bus by unplugging the cable
from the back of the SCSI host adapter card (the backplane).
  2.Terminate the host adapter by plugging a passive resistor pack into the
backplane.
  3.Carefully remove any resistor packs installed on the host adapter card.
(See your host adapter documentation for specific location.)
  4.Remove all devices from the internal SCSI bus except for the
installation device, the root hard disk, and any floppy drives connected to
    the SCSI bus. You must remove secondary hard drives.
  5.Ensure that only the last device on the internal cable is terminated.
  6.Reinstall your SCO OpenServer system.

--
http://www.sce.de/~dbin
*/ unmatched closing comment

Help with SCO Unix 3.2V4.2 Cant boot up unix

Post by David Binet » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Help,

>I have (i guess) a older version of SCO unix, 3.2 Ver 4.2.  I can boot the install disk on my PC and get the BOOT prompt,
>but when I execute UNIX, I get a 'Panic: srmountfun - Error 22 mounting rootdev hd (1/40)'.  Could anyone tell
>me what is going on.  Unfortunately, I was given the software but not the books.

--
http://www.sce.de/~dbin
*/ unmatched closing comment

Help with SCO Unix 3.2V4.2 Cant boot up unix

Post by David Binet » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Help,

>I have (i guess) a older version of SCO unix, 3.2 Ver 4.2.  I can boot the install disk on my PC and get the BOOT prompt,
>but when I execute UNIX, I get a 'Panic: srmountfun - Error 22 mounting rootdev hd (1/40)'.  Could anyone tell
>me what is going on.  Unfortunately, I was given the software but not the books.

OOPS sorry if this was posted twice
i missed off the lat part the first time.

[...]

Mixed internal and external devices
If either the installation device or the root hard disk is on the external
bus and the other device (installation device or root hard disk) is on the
internal bus:

  1.Ensure that the external device either has a passive resistor pack
plugged into the back of the SCSI host adapter card (the backplane),
    or that the device's termination is activated by using the appropriate
setting to enable active termination. (See the device documentation
    for appropriate switch settings.)
  2.Carefully remove any resistor packs installed on the host adapter card.
(See your host adapter documentation for specific location.)
  3.Remove all devices from the internal SCSI bus except for the
installation device, the root hard disk, and any floppy drives connected to
    the SCSI bus.
  4.Ensure that only the last device on the internal cable is terminated.
  5.Reinstall your SCO OpenServer system.

External devices
If both the installation device and the root hard disk are located on the
external SCSI bus:

  1.Ensure that the last physical connection of the external cable chain is
plugged into a terminated device.
  2.Ensure resistor packs are installed on the host adapter card.
  3.Remove (unplug) the internal SCSI bus cable.
  4.Reinstall your SCO OpenServer system.

If you still experience problems after following these steps, check the
SCSI termination again. Also consider replacing the internal-bus SCSI
cable and/or the passive resistor pack used to terminate the external bus.

--
http://www.sce.de/~dbin
*/ unmatched closing comment

1. SCO Unix 3.4.2v4.2; Foxpro 2.6 for Unix; Slow system; please HELP

Hi all,

We have the following system:

Hardware:

DEC Prioris HX server
128 Mb memory
512 Kb Cache
Dual Pentium 133 MHz.
Adaptec 2940 Scsi controller.

Software:

SCO UNIX 3.4.2v4.2
SCO MPX
Foxpro for UNIX 2.6

Problem:

The system is slow but the sar report give:
33% user, 55%system, 5 %i/o and 7%.
This is by +/- 80 users, our system must handle 100-130 users.

sar -r gives by 60-65 user noswapping.
sar -r gives by >65 swapping.

What is happening??????
How can we tune this UNIX box to perform better????
The system has idle time, so how can we use these 2 CPUs better????

We have tried to install 32 Mb additional RAM, but the system went
slower. Our SCO dealer says that the cache doesnt work in the area
128M + 32M. The kernel is placed there and works in a non cached area.

I think we need the memory, so how can we pass this problem????
Who of the readers has a SCO UNIX system running with Foxpro for UNIX
and > 80 users?????
Does he/she have the same problems?????

Any help is appreciated.

Please post follow-up articles and send me a personal e-mail to

Thanks,

Freddy de Vries

2. HP-UX 10.x compile probs with Apache 1.2b10, using gcc... GETTING gcc in the first place

3. DOSCP: Cant read DOS Boot Sector....on UNIX 3.2V4.2

4. Add swap space ...

5. How can I upgrade my Sco Unix 3.2v4.1 to 3.2v4.2 ?

6. Mysterious keyboard lockup

7. WP: Unable to open IPC **HELP** (SCO UNIX 3.2v4.2)

8. Cheap consumer goods v898DPD

9. Help installing SCO UNIX OS 3.2v4.2

10. HELP: SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 V. Linux Comparison

11. SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 (Memory sizing)

12. Postgress on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2

13. ***CHROOT*** command for SCO/UNIX V386 3.2v4.2