tape error

Post by Chad D. Lemm » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm tying to extract files off of my tape drive
and I think that tape may be bad.  Here is the error I get:

Notice: Stp: Error on SCSI tape 0 (ha=0 id=2 lun=0)
Medium error
tar: tape read error
read: I/O error

I get this when I type tar xvf /dev/rct0.  Does this mean the tape is bad?

tape error

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

$Notice: Stp: Error on SCSI tape 0 (ha=0 id=2 lun=0)
$Medium error
$tar: tape read error
$read: I/O error
$
$I get this when I type tar xvf /dev/rct0.  Does this mean the tape is bad?

   It means that there was an error reading the tape.  The tape may
be bad; the drive may be bad; the drive may simply need cleaning.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. Colorado HP jumbo 250, tape formatting, and tape errors

Hi,

I have a tyan mother board with redhat linux 2.1 and Win 95 installed on
the same system.  I Lilo to start up Win94 or Linux.  A jumbo 250 tape
drive is present in the system and it is attached to the floppy cable.

On the Linux Redhat side, I have ftape installed on what ever version
it is.  I seem to remember its 2.x
I recently went to do a tar to the tape drive and it worked OK.
However when I went to do a big tar, I got tape errors.

Knowing that the tapes are susceptable to strecting and other problems,
I went over the Win/95 and tried to bring up the tape formatter and
guess what?
I got a BIOS error!

To format, Do I really have to get the new Win95 colorado backup
software,
or can I get tape.exe, as suggested by the ftape manual?
Also, where do I get tape.exe?

Also, is ftape3.x in rpm format?

Thanks

2. NCSA httpd compilation...

3. SCSI tapes, reading past logical end-of-tape (error recovering)

4. turning off ftpd banner

5. Tape Utils for recovering from tape errors?

6. Looking for FAX software for win95 clients -> Linux

7. Tape Errors

8. Anybody using Dell XPS90's with Linux?

9. MegaRAID & Tape errors

10. QIC02 tape error

11. Tape Error

12. Exabyte Eagle 96 tape errors