HFTS out of inodes - it LIES

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> we are using SCO 5 as a news-server. It frequently runs out of
> inodes. Below is the setting reported by df -i

> /mnt/news1 /dev/news1              179745    820255   1000000    18%
> If you un-mount the volume it reports that everything is o.k.
> BUT, only for an hour or so.  If you want it to last longer you
> have to reboot the system, and fsck -ofull the volume.

This is a known problem, currently being worked on.  Your case is (so
far) unique, in that most people suffering the problem see it no more
often than once or twice a week.  For those people, a workaround is to
unmount and remount the filesystem when it shows the problem (rebooting
is not necessary, nor, in most cases, is fsck).  If you're really seeing
it every hour, the workaround would be too painful.

I will look into the early availability of a fix.

Quote:>Bela<

HFTS out of inodes - it LIES

Post by chris loel » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

we are using SCO 5 as a news-server. It frequently runs out of
inodes. Below is the setting reported by df -i

/mnt/news1 /dev/news1              179745    820255   1000000    18%
If you un-mount the volume it reports that everything is o.k.
BUT, only for an hour or so.  If you want it to last longer you
have to reboot the system, and fsck -ofull the volume.

Any ideas?

1. Lies, Damned Lies and Benchmarks...

<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9693>

" The real reason for the widening performance delta between AMD and Intel
lies not within the hardware changes introduced by each company but in the
changes to the benchmark software used to measure relative performance
between the two products. Fire up Sysmark 2000 and the AthlonXP will
destroy the P4 in both Office Performance and Content Creation, switch to
Sysmark 2001 and watch the AthlonXP maintain a healthy lead in OP while
yielding CC to the P4, switch to 2002 and the P4's lead in Content Creation
will widen dramatically and it'll nearly catch the AthlonXP in Office
Performance. (It should be noted at this point that AMD officially does not
use Sysmark 2002 due to what they feel are dramatic inconsistencies in that
benchmark's scoring methodology. Rather than simply complaining about the
situation, AMD joined BAPCo over it, so it'll be interesting to see what
effect (if any) this has on Sysmark 2003."

" This trend isn't limited to BAPCo products. In Content Creation 2001 the
AthlonXP walks all over the P4, scores nearly identically to it in Content
Creation 2002, and is creamed by Santa Clara in CC2003. Similarly, Business
Winstone 2001 will hand an easy win to AthlonXP; Business Winstone 2002
will tie the AthlonXP 3000+ against the P4 3 GHz."

too many benchmarks... not enough time...

2. SLIP setup

3. Lies, damn lies and statistics

4. Diamond card won't work with bpp>8 and resolution > 800x600

5. PLEASE DON'T REPEAT LYING LINUX PROPAGANDIST LIES IN SUBJECT LINES

6. suse 6.3 and hpt366 (be6)

7. Damn Lies and MS Lies about TCP/IP

8. big solaris heap of mess

9. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

10. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

11. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

12. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

13. I have filled up with inodes on /usr, can I change inode withour reinstall?