netscape always stalls during download??? why???

netscape always stalls during download??? why???

Post by Mark Salop » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Whenever I download something from the sco site using netscape the system
download always stalls.  Is the problem at the sco site or is the ccause
at my end. If the fastrack server at sco's site is the problem then maybe
sco should be promoting something else.

Mark

netscape always stalls during download??? why???

Post by Tom Parson » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Mark Salopek enscribed:

| Whenever I download something from the sco site using netscape the system
| download always stalls.  Is the problem at the sco site or is the ccause
| at my end. If the fastrack server at sco's site is the problem then maybe
| sco should be promoting something else.

Fabulous, you have an unknown version of Netscape working without using
an operating system.  With that little overhead, it should fly.

Many things can cause this and I see it from time to time although
the incidence is much, much less since I changed ISP's.  Any clue there?

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Whenever I download something from the sco site using netscape the
>system download always stalls. Is the problem at the sco site or is
>the ccause at my end. If the fastrack server at sco's site is the
>problem then maybe sco should be promoting something else.

Well from my experience most of the time it's neither the source
nor the destination site that's the problem but on of the
intervening sites - unless you have a highly oversubscribed ISP -
and that has been known to happen,

Use traceroute and you can see where it starts bogging down.

In the DOS/Win world, drop to a DOS promt and use   tracert

--

netscape always stalls during download??? why???

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Bill Vermillion typed (on 15Oct):

| >Whenever I download something from the sco site using netscape the
| >system download always stalls. Is the problem at the sco site or is
| >the ccause at my end. If the fastrack server at sco's site is the
| >problem then maybe sco should be promoting something else.
|
| Well from my experience most of the time it's neither the source
| nor the destination site that's the problem but on of the
| intervening sites - unless you have a highly oversubscribed ISP -
| and that has been known to happen,
|
| Use traceroute and you can see where it starts bogging down.
|
| In the DOS/Win world, drop to a DOS promt and use   tracert

And forget netscape for ftp transfers.  Use ncftp, which at least is
smart enough to resume an interrrupted download instead of starting over
from the first byte.