Help - GUI freezes up on startup of SCO Free Openserver Desktop system.

Help - GUI freezes up on startup of SCO Free Openserver Desktop system.

Post by Dennis Fad » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Help! My PC hardware spec is:

Cyrix P166 CPU
437 VX chipset motherboard (256k cache)
16 Mb Non-Parity RAM
1.2 Gb Conner Peripherals hard disk
Compaq 1024 VGA monitor model 460
A horrible 256k ISA video card (Yes folks, 0.25 Mb)

I've managed to load Free SCO Openserver with no visible problems (or
at least, no error codes), I get the grey XWindows style screen with
the X mouse pointer and then the SCO login screen, but the moment I
move the mouse, diagonal lines appear around the pointer for a couple
of seconds and then the whole screen freezes - resetting the power is
then the only way out.
Is it the * 256k video card? Wouldn't 16 Mb of RAM overcome the
inefficiencies of such a graphics card? Or could it be that a specific
graphics driver for the Compaq screen has not been loaded at boot
time? I subsequently reloaded the OS without any GUI software and all
the command line Unix works fine. Please help,

TIA,

Dennis

Post by Bela Lubki » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Cyrix P166 CPU
> 437 VX chipset motherboard (256k cache)
> 16 Mb Non-Parity RAM
> 1.2 Gb Conner Peripherals hard disk
> Compaq 1024 VGA monitor model 460
> A horrible 256k ISA video card (Yes folks, 0.25 Mb)

> I've managed to load Free SCO Openserver with no visible problems (or
> at least, no error codes), I get the grey XWindows style screen with
> the X mouse pointer and then the SCO login screen, but the moment I
> move the mouse, diagonal lines appear around the pointer for a couple
> of seconds and then the whole screen freezes - resetting the power is
> then the only way out.
> Is it the * 256k video card? Wouldn't 16 Mb of RAM overcome the
> inefficiencies of such a graphics card? Or could it be that a specific
> graphics driver for the Compaq screen has not been loaded at boot
> time? I subsequently reloaded the OS without any GUI software and all
> the command line Unix works fine. Please help,

It's probably the video card.  256K is fine, though it limits the modes
you can use.  What's important is what model of card it is; what video
chipset it's based on.  You need a proper video driver for the board.
(Exception: just about any VGA-like board should work with the "IBM VGA
640x460-16" driver.)

So, what is it, and what mode did you try to use?

Quote:>Bela<

Post by Ron Baptis » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Help! My PC hardware spec is:
>Cyrix P166 CPU
>437 VX chipset motherboard (256k cache)
>16 Mb Non-Parity RAM
>1.2 Gb Conner Peripherals hard disk
>Compaq 1024 VGA monitor model 460
>A horrible 256k ISA video card (Yes folks, 0.25 Mb)
>I've managed to load Free SCO Openserver with no visible problems (or
>at least, no error codes), I get the grey XWindows style screen with
>the X mouse pointer and then the SCO login screen, but the moment I
>move the mouse, diagonal lines appear around the pointer for a couple
>of seconds and then the whole screen freezes - resetting the power is
>then the only way out.
>Is it the * 256k video card? Wouldn't 16 Mb of RAM overcome the
>inefficiencies of such a graphics card? Or could it be that a specific
>graphics driver for the Compaq screen has not been loaded at boot
>time? I subsequently reloaded the OS without any GUI software and all
>the command line Unix works fine. Please help,

Mine was doing the same thing;  in my case, the problem was my mouse
wasn't installed correctly (within unix) - it was shown as a logitech;
I changed it to Microsoft serial, and solved the problem.  Good luck!

Post by Dennis Fad » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>Help! My PC hardware spec is:

>>Cyrix P166 CPU
>>437 VX chipset motherboard (256k cache)
>>16 Mb Non-Parity RAM
>>1.2 Gb Conner Peripherals hard disk
>>Compaq 1024 VGA monitor model 460
>>A horrible 256k ISA video card (Yes folks, 0.25 Mb)

>>I've managed to load Free SCO Openserver with no visible problems (or
>>at least, no error codes), I get the grey XWindows style screen with
>>the X mouse pointer and then the SCO login screen, but the moment I
>>move the mouse, diagonal lines appear around the pointer for a couple
>>of seconds and then the whole screen freezes - resetting the power is
>>then the only way out.
>>Is it the * 256k video card? Wouldn't 16 Mb of RAM overcome the
>>inefficiencies of such a graphics card? Or could it be that a specific
>>graphics driver for the Compaq screen has not been loaded at boot
>>time? I subsequently reloaded the OS without any GUI software and all
>>the command line Unix works fine. Please help,

>Mine was doing the same thing;  in my case, the problem was my mouse
>wasn't installed correctly (within unix) - it was shown as a logitech;
>I changed it to Microsoft serial, and solved the problem.  Good luck!

Diamond advice, I'd moved up from 486 to try and solve this and it
turns out it's something as simple as the mouse type! How much more
money would I have spent, etc, worked first time, once again many
thanx and regards,

Dennis