Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO

Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO

Post by Dann » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I was trying to install the Free ScoUnix but after I enter the license
number, code, data, and setup the system name, domain, and time zone, it
gives me follow error message:

           NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50
                /ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

           **   Safe to Power Off   **
                           -or-
                ** Press Any Key to Reboot **

        I was trying to install for more than  6 times with two certificat of
license and I also went to the support and serach for the answer but it
seems like I cannot do anything with it. Could anyone help me out here?
Any comments will be appreciated.

        danny

Post by Bela Lubki » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, I was trying to install the Free ScoUnix but after I enter the license
> number, code, data, and setup the system name, domain, and time zone, it
> gives me follow error message:

>       NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

Some sort of hardware problem.  Since you didn't describe your hardware,
that's all I can say.
Quote:>Bela<

Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO

Post by Dann » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, I was trying to install the Free ScoUnix but after I enter the
license
> number, code, data, and setup the system name, domain, and time zone, it
> gives me follow error message:

[snip]
>                 NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50
>                 /ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

>       **   Safe to Power Off   **
>                            -or-
>                 ** Press Any Key to Reboot **

>    I was trying to install for more than  6 times with two certificat of
> license and I also went to the support and serach for the answer but it
> seems like I cannot do anything with it. Could anyone help me out here?
> Any comments will be appreciated.

>    danny

        Sorry that I forget to mention my system (becasue someone points out that
it might be the hardware problem.) My system
is a DELL Dimension XPS 200 PPro with 64MB EDO and it has two 2.5 hard disk
in there. Could somebody tell me what should I do now?
Thank you for reading my post.

        Danny

Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO

Post by Roberto Zi » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

says...

>Hi, I was trying to install the Free ScoUnix but after I enter the
license
>number, code, data, and setup the system name, domain, and time zone, it
>gives me follow error message:

>           NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

>                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

>                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

>                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

>                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50
>                /ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

>           **   Safe to Power Off   **
>                           -or-
>                ** Press Any Key to Reboot **

>        I was trying to install for more than  6 times with two
certificat of
>license and I also went to the support and serach for the answer but it
>seems like I cannot do anything with it. Could anyone help me out here?
>Any comments will be appreciated.

>        danny

Hi Danny !

These messages seem to be caused by the Installation Query Manager (IQM)
when you use some "non-standard" serial nbs / activation keys. These
include evaluation licenses and time limited ones. SCO says that this
problem has been reported to the engineers; in the meantime, you're asked
to call your supplier to get a workaround (perhaps a couple of new keys?).
If this is not the case, it could reasonably be a hardware problem related
to the RAM disk (which, I think, is not your case since you seems to have
plenty of 'em - I read it in your followup).

Best,
Roberto

Strhold Sistemi EDP
Reggio Emilia      ITALY
Acca', nisciuno e' fess !
                              (TOM - the red cat, Silvester's friend)

Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO

Post by John Bolan » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

There is a TA that states that one possible cause for this
error is the use of a "non-standard" Product Certificates
of License and  Authenticity (COLAs) can cause the IQM to dump core.

However this is not the only cause. The TA refers specifically to
Signal B. Dannys IQM (Installation Query Manager) died becuase of a
Signal 8 (SIGFPE or Floating point exception).

The IQM is a robust piece of code. If it fails it is usually
caused by :

1) Faulty CDROM Media (the IQM is loaded from CDROM)

2) A fault in transfering the IQM from CDROM to memory
   (Check cabling)

3) Faulty memory or cache

4) An SCO driver (for peripherals or other hardware like cache)
   that is incompatible with the hardware

As this is a SIGFPE I would try boot with the boot string

        defbootstr ignorefpu

to see if using the FPU emulator instead of the physical FPU
helps.

John

Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO

Post by Tommy Destin » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hallo

Referring to following newsgroup letter from "Danny" :

Subject:
            Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO
       Date:
            30 Sep 1996 02:03:30 GMT

Hi, I was trying to install the Free ScoUnix but after I enter the license
number, code, data, and setup the system name, domain, and time zone, it
gives me follow error message:

           NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50
                /ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

           **   Safe to Power Off   **
                           -or-
                ** Press Any Key to Reboot **

        I was trying to install for more than  6 times with two certificat of
license and I also went to the support and serach for the answer but it
seems like I cannot do anything with it. Could anyone help me out here?
Any comments will be appreciated.

I have exactly the same problem but after booting :              BOOT: <ENTER>

I got this message : "No root disk controller"

Remark that i have no SCSI controller.

I have a PCI-bus controller with an Quantum harddisk as master and a EIDE CD-ROM as slave.

Do anybody have an good idea to solve the problem ?

Post by Tommy Destin » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi, I was trying to install the Free ScoUnix but after I enter the license
> > number, code, data, and setup the system name, domain, and time zone, it
> > gives me follow error message:

> >          NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

> Some sort of hardware problem.  Since you didn't describe your hardware,
> that's all I can say.

> >Bela<

Maybe the problem is that I've no SCSI controller.
All the describtions refer to a SCSI harddisk and a "defbootstr" as parameter.
http://www3.sco.com/Products/freeunix/suppinst.html

Tommy

1. Installation program terminates "NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

Hi,

I am installing a SCO openserver 5.0 to a machine(P5 100MHz, 16M ram,
3.2G harddisk). I use ATAPI to install the server.
When installing, it prompts "WARNING: hd: No root disk controller".
Then, I continue to install. After I enter the license no., hostneme,
domain, security and time, I press enter to accept the input.
Then, the installation program terminates and prompts the message
"NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

What does this message mean? Do it relate to the above warning? How to
fix it?

Thanks

2. Where can I find the needed libraries?

3. No space on device on device 31/50

4. XF86Setup and Logitech Trackman

5. HELP : No space on device on device 31/50

6. Western Digital 175GB Hard Drive (Model #WD1750BBRTL)

7. HELP : ram : No space on device on device 31/50

8. long file names in DOS

9. ram: No space on device on device 31/50

10. SCO OS5 install prob: no space on device 31/50

11. No space left on device 31/50 during install

12. PATCH: eisa reports "0 device" not "0 devices"