remote printing between versions

Post by Michel P. Pouli » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

odd problem that I hope somone can assist with....

Problem:
5.0.6. system hosting printers
5.0.4 system needs to be able to send print jobs out to other printer.

Doesn't sound like an issue I know.  Just RTFM, and set up the printers as
remote printers on the local host.  SOunds all good and fine, but I'm
missing something.

From the 506 server I can do exactly the above, from the printer setup menu,
I can see all of the printers on the 504 box and set them up to print
remotely.
From the 504 box I can not see any of the printers and I get an
authentication error.

I've tryed rhosts, and hosts.allow and neither seem to work.  I'm asked for
the ADMINS password on the remote system and root password doesn't work.

I'm digging through the TA's now, and I'm not hitting the right keywords...

Thanks!
 -=mike=-

--
-=Michel P, Poulin=-
SCO Support - MicroMini Associates, Inc.

remote printing between versions

Post by Michel P. Pouli » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I just re-read my last message and noticed that it does NOT make sence!
Here goes again....

Problem: getting 5.0.4 to see printers set up on a 5.0.6 system.
 5.0.6 system has several printers set up as locals, they work fine.
5.0.4 system has several printers set up as locals that work fine.

5.0.6 can bet set up to see the 5.0.4 printers and print to them as remotes.
5.0.4 can not do the same.

Am I missing something w/ the older version?

Thanks!
 -=mike=-

--
-=Michel P, Poulin=-
SCO Support - MicroMini Associates, Inc.

remote printing between versions

Post by Michel P. Pouli » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

message from mail:

Subject: Status of lp request rmlaser-242867

Your request rmlaser-242867 destined for rmlaser
was canceled by the administrator.

Reason for being canceled:

The requested print destination has been removed.

--

Post by Fabio Giannott » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I just re-read my last message and noticed that it does NOT make sence!
> Here goes again....

> Problem: getting 5.0.4 to see printers set up on a 5.0.6 system.
>  5.0.6 system has several printers set up as locals, they work fine.
> 5.0.4 system has several printers set up as locals that work fine.

> 5.0.6 can bet set up to see the 5.0.4 printers and print to them as
remotes.
> 5.0.4 can not do the same.

> Am I missing something w/ the older version?

> Thanks!
>  -=mike=-

> --
> -=Michel P, Poulin=-
> SCO Support - MicroMini Associates, Inc.

Have you added the 5.0.4 host name to /etc/hosts.lpd and/or /etc/hosts.equiv
in the 5.0.6 machine?

If so, have you added it exactly as it would be resolved?  (If your not
sure, add it twice, once just with the machine name, and once with the fully
quallified machine and domain name.)

Good luck,
Fabio

1. problems with remote printing under AIX 3.2 (and other remote access problems)

I just installed AIX 3.32 on my R6000/320 and though the install went
smoothly, the R6000 no longer allows remote (tcp/ip) access to the printer.  I
did a "complete overwrite install" and then went through and
configured the network and the remote printer access, and have
rebooted several times, stopped started lpd, etc., but I always get
the message: "your host does not have line printer access" back from
the R6000.  Printing works OK from the R6000, and interestingly, the
"on" command" works from the remote host and I can type "on ___ lpr "
and the R6000 does print then.  I tried both fully qualified and just
the hostname in the /etc/hosts.lpd file.  I am trying to print from a
Sun running 4.1.1 as well as other hosts that use BSD style printer
addressing.  Before the upgrade, remote printing worked fine.

Another strange (related?) feature is that when I type "rsh" from the
remote host I get "Login incorrect." whereas rsh used to work.  It
sounds to me like the network authentication has been messed with.
One last (related?)  problem is that I can't get the R6000 to act as a
pcnfs server (after taking the comment out of /etc/inetd.conf) whereas
it used to work as a pcnfs server before.

  Any ideas?

  Ron Cohen
  Geophysical Laboratory
  Carnegie Institution of Washington

2. install rh7.3 formatting hangs

3. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine - How do I do it?

4. rsh and Connection refused.

5. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine

6. CAN'T ROUTE FROM THE WORLD

7. remote dailup printing on the remote site

8. host type and /configure

9. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

10. RS/6000 remote printing to numeric remote queue

11. Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

12. Howto send print jobs to a remote print server (SMC Barricade)

13. remote printer won't print non plain text print jobs.