Lone-Tar / Tar / Tape backup problems

Post by Dan Crows » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

        We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

        Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive
drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
tar that does compress.

        Also note that we're using OS 3 on an AST Manahattan.

Thanks,

Dan

      715 Goddard Ave                 |
      Chesterfield MO 63005           |

Post by Bryan Gea » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

>    We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
>At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
>killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
>again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
>and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

We used to have this problem. It ended up being the CD-Rom drive. We
had an external SCSI CD-Rom on the same chain. Once we disabled sync
negotiation for it, the backup stopped*.

Lone-Tar / Tar / Tape backup problems

Post by Lucky Leavel » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
> At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
> killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
> again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
> and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

>    Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
> ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive
> drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
> tar that does compress.

Dan,
   I run across a similar problem occasionally with my Sankyo CP150S tape
drive but, after losing a lot of hair over it, concluded (with much input
here and elsewhere, including Lone-Tar) that that particular tape drive
just does that from time to time.  I have a couple of suggestions:

   I placed a tape reset command in my cron file to execute about five
minutes before the nightly backup.  It definitely seems to help (until I
can afford a new Tandberg tape drive).

    If you want to try the latest version of Lone-TAr, you may ftp a demo
from
        ftp.cactus.com/cowboy

and look for scou/ltscou.tar.Z.

    Lone-Tar upgrade pricing is available.

Regards,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                            Phone: (812) 945-6555
Relational Information Systems, Inc.       FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                       71534,2674 (CompuServe)
WWW Home Page:  http://www.iglou.com/ris   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris

Post by Jeff Hyma » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

>    We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
> At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
> killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
> again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
> and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

>    Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
> ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive
> drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
> tar that does compress.

>    Also note that we're using OS 3 on an AST Manahattan.

Dan,

Your S/N:105174 was replaced back in 8/2/93 from a major flood you guys
had. It was for your WYSE (AT&T Unix). If you have switched to SCO,
you should get an update for that copy. Your version is v1.2.2.3... and
we are up to v2.1.1.3. You're missing some major enhancements and features.

LONE-TAR(tm) does one heck of alot more then compress 'tar'. It backs up
empty directories, links, sym-links, device files, FIFOs to name a few.
The interface you have is ancient compared to what we are shipping. The
new version also has some neat report generator that you fax in. It really
does help in support issues like this.

LONE-TAR handles interupts cleanly. IOW: If you cannot kill the process,
then the interupt is out to lunch (as far as the kernel is concerned).

Thanks!
Jeff Hyman
President
                                .--.
__________________________  .-. |  |  __________________________________

 Cactus International, Inc. | |_|  | | | Sales:   (800) LONE-TAR
 13987 W. Annapolis Ct.  _  |___   |_| | Support: (301) 829-1622
 Mt. Airy, MD 21771    _| ~-    |   ___| Fax:     (301) 829-1623
 Jeffrey Hyman         \,  _}   |  |     FTP:     ftp.cactus.com
 CompuServe: 74710,2627  \(     |  |     WWW:     http://www.cactus.com
------------------------------- |  | -----------------------------------
                                |  |

Lone-Tar / Tar / Tape backup problems

Post by Roger Otterso » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Dan,
        I have a SCO 3.2r4.2 system running an SCSI HP DAT drive with similar problems.
        I should say we 'HAD' those problems.  We found that the model of HP drive we
        had would hang (stop communicating) over the SCSI bus.  We installed the
        new HP DAT Drive and the problem went away.  If you use the SCO utility
        'tape status' you'll also get 'stuck' so it may not be restricted to LoneTar.

Roger.

>         We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
> At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
> killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
> again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
> and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

>         Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
> ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive
> drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
> tar that does compress.

>         Also note that we're using OS 3 on an AST Manahattan.

Roger Otterson            Qualitec
(619) 622-1220 x246       10717 Sorrento Valley Rd #200

Post by Greg Haye » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

>>         We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
>> At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
>> killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
>> again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
>> and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

>>         Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
>> ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive
>> drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
>> tar that does compress.

>>         Also note that we're using OS 3 on an AST Manahattan.

We have the same problem from time to time but only on backing up the
disks on one controiller (DPT - although I doubt it has anything to do
with the adapter). Backups from disks on the other controller (Adaptec)
do not hang. The HP Dat tape is on the DPT controller (?). When we have
this freeze-up we find the disk traffic light is on indicating a SCSI
hang.
--
Greg Hayes
MD Hayford Systems Ltd

Post by Ken Ch » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

>>>         We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
>>> At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
>>> killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
>>> again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
>>> and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

>>>         Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
>>> ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive

It has NOTHING to do with the software.  The problem happens to anything,
even CPIO.

Quote:>>> drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
>>> tar that does compress.

>>>         Also note that we're using OS 3 on an AST Manahattan.

>We have the same problem from time to time but only on backing up the
>disks on one controiller (DPT - although I doubt it has anything to do
>with the adapter). Backups from disks on the other controller (Adaptec)

No.  The tape drive hangs the bus.  It happens to Adaptec, NCR, Conner.

Quote:>do not hang. The HP Dat tape is on the DPT controller (?). When we have
>this freeze-up we find the disk traffic light is on indicating a SCSI
>hang.
>--
>Greg Hayes

SCSI bus locks up from time to time.  My solution is to get a new TAPE.
Once a tape is having a messed up block it starts to lock the SCSI bus.

4mm DDS is quite painful.  The tapes drive needs to be cleaned up every
32 hours of use (em, 8 hours of backup and 8 hours of verify, PER server) so
that means I have to clean it every 2 days.  With about 12 servers you can
tell how much fun that is.

The 8mm Exabyte is WAY more reliable, but it's too expensive.

I wonder having 2 seperate SCSI controller will be a better idea, since the
tape drive lockup (when the HD is sharing the SCSI card) can cause a panic.

Quote:>MD Hayford Systems Ltd

--
 +-----------+-------------------------------------------------------------+

 | **   ***  |                                                             |
 |    ***    |   Zadall Systems Group, Inc.                                |
 |  ***   ** |   4400 Dominion Street, 5th Floor                           |
 | ********* |   Burnaby, BC, Canada V5G 4G3                               |
 +-----------+-------------------------------------------------------------+

$
$       Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
$ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive
$drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
$tar that does compress.

   Lone-Tar is a heck of a lot more than that ... but you're right.
It's not a Lone-Tar problem.  You may well find the same thing
if you use any other backup product, including cpio or tar, though if
it's a timing issue it may be hard to duplicate.

   This is a hardware or driver problem.  The unkillable process
is in kernel mode, waiting for the tape driver to finish processing
a request and return control.  If, due to a driver bug or a hardware
problem, the request never completes, the tape driver never returns
control to the application, and the application is stuck in kernel
mode.  When in kernel mode, an application can't be killed.

   You've replaced the tape drive.  Did the different drives have
different firmware versions, just in case there's a firmware
bug?  Have you tried replacing SCSI cables, termination, the
host adapter, the host adapter's firmware, and checking to see
if there's a newer driver for the host adapter?  Are there any
SLSes applicable to your release which might resolve this?

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

Lone-Tar / Tar / Tape backup problems

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

$4mm DDS is quite painful.  The tapes drive needs to be cleaned up every
$32 hours of use (em, 8 hours of backup and 8 hours of verify, PER server) so
$that means I have to clean it every 2 days.  With about 12 servers you can
$tell how much fun that is.
$
$The 8mm Exabyte is WAY more reliable, but it's too expensive.

   I don't find 8mm to be terrific, either - and they need frequent
cleaning as well.

   Let's put it this way - how much is your data worth to you?
I just had no problem at all talking my boss into buying a
15-30 GB DLT drive and a whole pile of tapes for it - and the
DLT drive is roughly twice the price of a 7-14 GB 8mm drive,
and the tapes are over CAD100 from what I'm told.  This is to back
up the server which stores the majority of our business' crucial
data - accounting, payroll, internal systems, and source and
binaries for dozens upon dozens of systems we've developed for
clients.  We simply cannot afford anything less than a reliable
backup system for this data.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. Lone-Tar Backup Errors ==> OSR5.0.2 Problems

Not yet.  I don't have anuthing to swap just yet.  When we do, we'll
probably go ahead and upgrade them to OSR5.0.4.

oss438a is the Symbolic Link and Long File Name Supplement which
"corrects a problem with accessing symlinks whose link contents are
exactly 128 characters long. The error when opening such a file is:

        cannot open <filename>: No such file or directory (error 2).

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393  or  (812) 989-0174
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO      FAX: (812) 366-3618

Corydon, IN    47112-7374                 71534,2674 (CompuServe)
WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris
Ask about Lone-Tar/SarCheck Bundle for simplifying Backup/Performance Tuning

2. Token Ring drivers

3. QuickTime viewer under Unix : What and where ?

4. HP Tape Backup & Lone Tar

5. Need Advice buying new system

6. LINUX AWARD TO LONE-TAR Press Release

7. Dell PowerEdge 2450

8. 20 /40 8mm on f50 with lone-tar

9. Help with Lone-tar lockups, please!

10. Lone-Tar Errors ==> OSR5.0.2 fs errors?

11. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

12. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar & mt ???