More IDONDES ??

Post by Daniel J Forem » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

 I am looking for a way to add more INODES to a file system on
 SCO 3.2 v 4.2.  Does anybody else know of a way to accomplish this
 besides creating less files?

More IDONDES ??

Post by Geoff Crawfor » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for a way to add more INODES to a file system on
> SCO 3.2 v 4.2.  Does anybody else know of a way to accomplish this
> besides creating less files?

Do a man page on mkfs, you'll find what you need there.  You need to
remake your filesystem, so be careful and have a verified backup!!!

HTH.

Geoff Crawford                              Phone:    (201) 627 - 0307
Innovative Client Servers                   FAX:      (201) 627 - 0634

Denville NJ 07834

More IDONDES ??

Post by Stephen M. Du » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

$ I am looking for a way to add more INODES to a file system on
$ SCO 3.2 v 4.2.  Does anybody else know of a way to accomplish this
$ besides creating less files?

   No filesystem supported by 3.2v4.2 uses more than a 16-bit integer
to represent an inode number, which limits you to slightly under
64k inodes per filesystem.  Period.

   If you're running into the 64k limit, you could split the filesystem
into two smaller filesystems, each with 64k inodes, and attempt to
divide your data roughly evenly between them.  This is the approach
which many SCO administrators historically have had to use for
their news spool directories, for example.

   If you're running out of inodes because your filesystem has
less than 64k inodes, you could back it up, delete the filesystem,
and recreate it manually to force 64k inodes (normally, the number
of inodes is calculated using a formula based on the size of the
filesystem).

   The current release includes two filesystems which support
vastly greater numbers of inodes - up to 2^27 for one filesystem
and 2^30 for the other, if memory serves.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251