portmapper problem

Post by Brad G. Trot » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am running Free SCO OpenServer 5.0.4.  Very recently I have noticed
a warning that appears during boot.

WARNING: portmapper on server is not responding

The message repeats itself several times.

The only thing I changed lately was the IP of the machine.

Is this causing the problem and if not any ideas on what could be?

Thanks in advance,
--Brad

portmapper problem

Post by Ulrich F. Kels » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi Brad,
check your /etc/hosts file.

There you will find two entries for your host name with
two different IP addresses, the old one and your new one.

Remove the line with your old IP address and the error message
should be gone.

Best regards
Ulrich

1. RPC Portmapper problems

Hi,

I am using a variety of computers in a network. Since I try to integrate
more machines in de the network via nfs I encounter the following problem:

Some machines work nicely together when it comes tot adressing one
another. The server ande the laptop can find eachother without a problem.
Two machines give problems though:
An iMac II, operating OSX 10.1.3
A machine AMD K6 128 Mb 350 MHz.

IMac:
showmount -e server succeeds
showmount - e iMac:
mount clntupd_create: RPC: Portmapper failure - RPC: timed out

showmount -e server
Export list for server:
/home/server 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
/home/user 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

AMD
showmount -e AMD
Export list for AMD:
/home/martin 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

showmount -e server
mount clntupd_create: RPC: Portmapper failure - RPC: timed out

I find no clues in solving the problem, neither in the books nor in the
newsgroups.

Regards,
Martin.

2. Where does "Terminated" message comes from?

3. portmapper problem...

4. IP MASQ Tips?

5. reclusive portmapper; problems with 2 network interface machine

6. REAL3D STARTFIGHTER

7. Portmapper problem

8. >PS/2 AIX article - horror story

9. portmapper problem

10. portmapper problems

11. portmapper problem!!!

12. Portmapper problem when mounting a partition via NFS

13. Help with weird portmapper problem