bootable cd

Post by jp » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:00:28

Hi,

How can I make a bootable cd with mkisofs from a 1.44 MB boot- and
rootfloppy without prompting 'Put in rootdiskette and press enter' ?
Do I need to change the boot-file on my bootfloppy ?
Or do I have to make a 2.88MB combined boot/root-floppy ?
How can I make a 2.88 MB floppy-image (mkdev fd) without a 2.88MB floppy and
floppydrive ?
Is it possible to automaticaly start a script after loading the boot- and
rootfloppy ?

Thanks,

John

bootable cd

Post by Stuart J. Brown » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:13:36

Quote:> Hi,

> How can I make a bootable cd with mkisofs from a 1.44 MB boot- and
> rootfloppy without prompting 'Put in rootdiskette and press enter' ?
> Do I need to change the boot-file on my bootfloppy ?
> Or do I have to make a 2.88MB combined boot/root-floppy ?
> How can I make a 2.88 MB floppy-image (mkdev fd) without a 2.88MB floppy
and
> floppydrive ?
> Is it possible to automaticaly start a script after loading the boot- and
> rootfloppy ?

I'd suggest you look into making a 'file' the filesystem (dd if=/dev/zero
of=some.file bs=1024 count=2880, or some such), and using that instead of
/dev/fd0 as the device..

just an idea to look into further..

bkx

1. Bootable Floppy bin image to bootable CD?

I'm trying to use a memory test application which boots from a floppy
drive.  After building the program, I am left with a file "memtest.bin"
which after using 'dd if=mem....' would create a bootable disk to use to
run.  I, however, have no floppy drive with which to use on either my linux
box or XP box.  I was wondering if there was a way to get this .bin file
onto a CD (the CD writer is in the XP machine mind you, is it possible to
get this into an ISO)?

The link below is to the site where the memory testing program is.  Thanks
for any help you can give.

Bogo

http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/

2. white space character echoed in xterm

3. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

4. moving drive 1.

5. How to make a bootable tape from bootable cd?

6. undo

7. Need to burn CDs with Solaris file system + bootable CDs

8. A1000, RAID connected system change?

9. CD-ROM Drive Errors w/ Debian Installation - Bootable CD Problem?

10. Burning an ISO into a bootable CD and mp3's to music CD's.

11. CD-R devices and creating bootable cds

12. Bootable CD-ROM

13. Cannot make bootable CD-RW disk