Install OP/ODT from CDRom on SB16 (SCSI-2) ??????

Install OP/ODT from CDRom on SB16 (SCSI-2) ??????

Post by bom.. » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I would like to install the Free SCO OpenServer /Desktop v5.0.2 or
5.0.4 on my machine (Intel CPU, ......., Adaptec 1542 scsi adapter,
SoundBlaster 16 sound card with SCSI-2 for a Panasonic CD-x53
CDRom,..., Conner CTM3200S scsi tape drive). The install boot disk
will recognize all my scsi hard disks and the scsi tape drive
(bootstring: adapter=ad(0x334,11,5)), and my eide hard disks, but
REFUSES to recognize the CDRom drive - which unfortunately, has the
install Cdrom archives.
I've tried to copy the Cdrom to tape using a Linux system on my
machine (dd comand not cpio) but the SCO install routine complains of
"Unrecognized format" and aborts.
(Linux recognises my SB16 (with the sbpcd driver) right out the box.)
HELP!

Post by Tom Parson » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

| I would like to install the Free SCO OpenServer /Desktop v5.0.2 or
| 5.0.4 on my machine (Intel CPU, ......., Adaptec 1542 scsi adapter,
| SoundBlaster 16 sound card with SCSI-2 for a Panasonic CD-x53
| CDRom,..., Conner CTM3200S scsi tape drive). The install boot disk
| will recognize all my scsi hard disks and the scsi tape drive
| (bootstring: adapter=ad(0x334,11,5)), and my eide hard disks, but
| REFUSES to recognize the CDRom drive - which unfortunately, has the
| install Cdrom archives.
| I've tried to copy the Cdrom to tape using a Linux system on my
| machine (dd comand not cpio) but the SCO install routine complains of
| "Unrecognized format" and aborts.

The scsi adapter built in the sound card is a very low level device.
Disable it and put the cdrom on the much more efficient 1542.  Then
install 5.0.4.

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I would like to install the Free SCO OpenServer /Desktop v5.0.2 or
> 5.0.4 on my machine (Intel CPU, ......., Adaptec 1542 scsi adapter,
> SoundBlaster 16 sound card with SCSI-2 for a Panasonic CD-x53
> CDRom,..., Conner CTM3200S scsi tape drive). The install boot disk
> will recognize all my scsi hard disks and the scsi tape drive
> (bootstring: adapter=ad(0x334,11,5)), and my eide hard disks, but
> REFUSES to recognize the CDRom drive - which unfortunately, has the
> install Cdrom archives.
> (Linux recognises my SB16 (with the sbpcd driver) right out the box.)

If the CD-ROM drive uses the "sbpcd" driver under Linux, it's not a SCSI
drive, nor is it ATAPI.  As the comment at the top of sbpcd.c says:
"CD-ROM device driver for the whole family of traditional, non-ATAPI
IDE-style Matsushita/Panasonic CR-5xx drives."

OpenServer has no driver for that sort of CD-ROM drive.  You cannot use
it; your only choice is to buy or borrow a supported drive, either ATAPI
or SCSI.

Quote:> I've tried to copy the Cdrom to tape using a Linux system on my
> machine (dd comand not cpio) but the SCO install routine complains of
> "Unrecognized format" and aborts.

Good try, but the CD-ROM data must be read from a CD.

Quote:>Bela<

--
Back a bit early from our world travels.  Vietnam in a few months (we hope).
Travelogue http://www.armory.com/~alexia/trip/trip.html still being updated.