Help: connecting a modem to a WY-5008 terminal server

Help: connecting a modem to a WY-5008 terminal server

Post by Frontier Softwar » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

--------------1417ABE17C6

I cannot get this to work, even though the modem attached to the server
is picking up the call. Connection speed is 9600. No login prompt
though.  Port definitely works with a terminal attached. I have attached
the programming for the port. The terminal server is connected to a SCO
Unix box.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Clive Margolis
TECHNICAL ANALYST
FRONTIER SOFTWARE LIMITED NZ

--------------1417ABE17C6

PORT 4:         NONE
NAME:           PORT_04
CHARACTER SIZE: 8
SPEED:          9600
PARITY:         NONE
FLOW CONTROL:   XON
STOP BITS:      DYNAMIC
LINES,COLS:     24,80
ACCESS:         REMOTE
TYPE:           DYNAMIC
BREAK KEY:      LOCAL
TERMINAL:       NONE
BACKWARDS SW.   NONE
SESSION LIMIT:  4
FORWARDS SW.    NONE
PROMPT:         "%N %p %P"
LOCAL SWITCH:   NONE
DEFAULT PROTOCOL RLOGIN
DEDICATED SERVC NONE
PREFERRED SRVC: SCOSYSV(ANY)

ENABLED:
Autoprompt, broadcast, login account, dsrlogout, lock, loss notification, message codes,
modem control, command completion, security, verification, input flow control,
output flow control
--------------1417ABE17C6--

Post by Brendan D J Murph » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I cannot get this to work, even though the modem attached to the server
>is picking up the call. Connection speed is 9600. No login prompt
>though.  Port definitely works with a terminal attached. I have attached
>the programming for the port. The terminal server is connected to a SCO
>Unix box.

>Can anyone help?

Check the cable!  It definately WON'T work if you are using the same
cable as the one when you were testing the port with a dumb-terminal.

You will need an RS232 crossover cable.
(DCE-DCE)

Brendan.

Help: connecting a modem to a WY-5008 terminal server

Post by David Clayt » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

following:

>>I cannot get this to work, even though the modem attached to the server
>>is picking up the call. Connection speed is 9600. No login prompt
>>though.  Port definitely works with a terminal attached. I have attached
>>the programming for the port. The terminal server is connected to a SCO
>>Unix box.

>>Can anyone help?

>Check the cable!  It definately WON'T work if you are using the same
>cable as the one when you were testing the port with a dumb-terminal.

>You will need an RS232 crossover cable.
>(DCE-DCE)

Close but no cigar, a P.C., (DTE), to modem (DCE), is a straight through
cable.

The cable from a P.C. to a Terminal should already be the crossover,
(DTE to DTE) type.

Either way, you probably need a different cable that is used at the
moment.

Regards, David.
---------------

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"Virtual Reality - Give it a rest, Actual Reality has me stressed enough as it is."

Help: connecting a modem to a WY-5008 terminal server

Post by Brendan D J Murph » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

The original request was to connect a modem (a DCE device) to a Terminal
Server (also a DCE device). Therefore a DCE to DCE crossover *IS*
required!

>following:

>>>I cannot get this to work, even though the modem attached to the server
>>>is picking up the call. Connection speed is 9600. No login prompt
>>>though.  Port definitely works with a terminal attached. I have attached
>>>the programming for the port. The terminal server is connected to a SCO
>>>Unix box.

>>>Can anyone help?

>>Check the cable!  It definately WON'T work if you are using the same
>>cable as the one when you were testing the port with a dumb-terminal.

>>You will need an RS232 crossover cable.
>>(DCE-DCE)

>Close but no cigar, a P.C., (DTE), to modem (DCE), is a straight through
>cable.

>The cable from a P.C. to a Terminal should already be the crossover,
>(DTE to DTE) type.

>Either way, you probably need a different cable that is used at the
>moment.

>Regards, David.
>---------------

>Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

>"Virtual Reality - Give it a rest, Actual Reality has me stressed enough as it
>is."

Help: connecting a modem to a WY-5008 terminal server

Post by -Lurc » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:59:24 +0100, Brendan D J Murphy

Quote:>:|The original request was to connect a modem (a DCE device) to a Terminal
>:|Server (also a DCE device). Therefore a DCE to DCE crossover *IS*
>:|required!
>:|

Tain't necessarily so... Most (I repeat - *MOST*) term servers are DTE
on the user port, and if DEC compatible are RS423 to boot.

Simple rule on cabling - if you use a straight through to connect to a
dumb terminal or pc serial port, then use a crossover to connect a
modem (or other DCE device) to the term server port.

RS423 requires that you connect the tx- and rx- to signal ground on an
rs232 connection to work properly, Best advice is to RTFM or call the
term servers tech support and get the pinouts from them.

Bottom line on cabling is that you gotta know your goes - into's and
goes-out-of's. On DTE tx,dtr and rts are outbound (sourced) signals.
On DCE they are expected to be delivered...

A tech support engineer who does this every friggin' day...
***************************************
* "I'm not a freak, I'm a prototype!" *
* - Dagwood - SeaQuest DSV            *

***************************************

Help: connecting a modem to a WY-5008 terminal server

Post by David Clayt » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

following:

Quote:>The original request was to connect a modem (a DCE device) to a Terminal
>Server (also a DCE device). Therefore a DCE to DCE crossover *IS*
>required!

Ok, now I see, (I should read the subject a bit more closly). It's
connecting a modem to a Terminal Server which connects to a LAN and then
to a SCO box via another Terminal Server.

Then a crossover cable will be required.

But two things: firstly does the Terminal Server link provide *all*
handshaking signals to and from the Unix box?. Some terminals may work
without all of these, but a modem may be a bit more fussy and not work
if some are missing.

Secondly, should the port on the Unix box be set to use the uppercase
device?

Regards, David.
---------------

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"Virtual Reality - Give it a rest, Actual Reality has me stressed enough as it is."

1. Connecting a Wyse WY-50 terminal to a Linux system.

I wonder if someone could offer me a little advice regarding the physical
connecting of a Wyse WY-50 terminal to a PC system running Linux?

I've been fortunate enough to have been given a secondhand Wyse WY-50
terminal in good condition which I'd like to connect to the COM2 port of a
Linux system that I'm in the process of building. O/S will be RH 4.2.

I've checked the copy of the Dr. Linux book that I have, which gives me
cable diagrams for both a simple 2/3 xover cable and the full multi-pin
connector. I'd prefer to use the full cable to ensure that data flow is
properly handled, but I've run into a minor hiccup: the Wyse terminal does
not support all of the pin connections mentioned in multi-pin cable spec.
The terminal's handbook lists the following pin-outs for the 'modem' port:

 1 - shield ground
 2 - transmit data
 3 - receive data
 4 - request to send
 5 - clear to send
 7 - signal ground
 8 - data carrier detect
20 - data terminal ready

From what I remember from my experiences with serial communications, I think
that the following cable config. might work:

Wyse                            PC

 1 ----------------------------- 1
 2 ----------------------------- 3
 3 ----------------------------- 2
 4 ----------------------------- 5
 5 ----------------------------- 4
 7 ----------------------------- 7
 8 ---------------------------- 20
20 ----------------------------- 6
20 ----------------------------- 8

I'm not too sure about the 8-20 connection though. As I'm going to have the
cable custom-made I'd really appreciate any advice anyone might have
regarding this spec. before I spend any money as mistakes are expensive.
There will definitely be tears before bedtime if it doesn't work!

One other quick question: The Wyse doesn't offer a vt100 emulation (as far
as I can tell). It does however offer wy50, tv1910, tv1920, tv1925, addsvp
and hz1500. Does Linux support one of these terminal types or is one of them
vt100-compatible?

Please accept my apologies if I've posted this message to the wrong newsgroup.

TIA

Clem Dye

2. Can't start init

3. modems on terminal server hang when connected to linux

4. partition hard disk

5. Connecting modems to terminal servers

6. Reading LDP Docs - HOW??

7. Terminal hangs when connecting from terminal server

8. Linux+wfw+win95-help!

9. FS: Used Wyse WY-150 VT100 terminals (cheap)

10. HELP---BlackBox (iolan+) Terminal Servers connected to SUN

11. termcap for wyse 160 terminal (wy-160)

12. Wyse WY-X5 X-Terminals

13. Wyse Wy-70X Terminals