"Local Print" to remote SCO ANSI terminal?

"Local Print" to remote SCO ANSI terminal?

Post by mphil.. » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm currently installing a new application for a customer running an SCO
OpenServer release 5 system. When he is on the road, he would like to be
able to access the system and "print reports" to a local printer connected
to his laptop.

I have set up dial-in on his SCO server, and have installed the Terminal-
Ware terminal emulator on his Windows laptop. For maximum compatibility
with other system programs, I have him configured as a "SCO ANSI" terminal.

Everything works just dandy. However, I am attempting to find out how I can
"turn on" remote printing to his remote printer (running PPP and setting him
up as an LPD server is not an option.) I've attempted to look through the
contents of /usr/lib/terminfo/a/ansi* to see which escape codes turn "on"
remote printing over the SCO-ANSI emulation. The only thing I've been able
to find is a reference in "ansiterm-pp" which says that mc5=ESC[5i and
mc4=ESC[4i.

The program that he wants to run and have automatically print on his
remote printer is a "stand-alone" program. I have attempted to put the
two escape sequences mentioned above in the program, printing at the
beginning and end of the report respectively. Using this method I have
encountered moderate success -- sometimes the entire report will print
to the remote printer, other times only a few lines will print before
remote printing is apparently "switched off".

Has anyone attempted to do something similar with remote printing to an
SCO ANSI terminal emulator? If so, or if you have suggestions on how to
make this work, I'd like to hear from you.

Mark

"Local Print" to remote SCO ANSI terminal?

Post by Steven Thompso » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm currently installing a new application for a customer running an SCO
>OpenServer release 5 system. When he is on the road, he would like to be
>able to access the system and "print reports" to a local printer connected
>to his laptop.

I would suggest configuring a local printer as a spooled printer.  I use to
have great success with this method.  There is an IT script on the web
site that describes how to set up a local (ie: printer attached to a terminal)
printer and then make it available to the system spooler.  There are some
issues - will the connection always be made to the same port on the server,
does the emulator you are using have a true print on/off escape code.  I used
to use ICEWIN with either WY60 or SCO ANSI emulation and had good success.