System loaded, press <RETURN> to continue:

System loaded, press <RETURN> to continue:

Post by Charlie Garget » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have loaded OpenServer Enterprise System version 5.0.4 onto a AMI
Pentium II server with a DPT SmartCache IV RAID Controller, Kingston
10Mb Network Card (PCI), Specialix PCI SI/XIO host adapter and PCI
Legend Video Card. All supplements have been installed in accordance
to 'README.OSR5.Supplements' and I am experiencing a strange problem
that I have never come across before, let alone know how to fix it.

When I installed the system and subsequently every time I boot the
system, I receive the following message after the 'hwconfig' list
prior to maintenance mode:

System loaded, press <RETURN> to continue:

and the system will wait indefinitely for <RETURN> to be pressed. As
you can imagine this is causing problems for auto-reboot procedures.
What is causing this message to appear and if possible, how do I get
rid of it?

Any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Charlie

Post by Pat Welc » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have loaded OpenServer Enterprise System version 5.0.4 onto a AMI
> Pentium II server with a DPT SmartCache IV RAID Controller, Kingston
> 10Mb Network Card (PCI), Specialix PCI SI/XIO host adapter and PCI
> Legend Video Card. All supplements have been installed in accordance
> to 'README.OSR5.Supplements' and I am experiencing a strange problem
> that I have never come across before, let alone know how to fix it.

> When I installed the system and subsequently every time I boot the
> system, I receive the following message after the 'hwconfig' list
> prior to maintenance mode:

> System loaded, press <RETURN> to continue:

> and the system will wait indefinitely for <RETURN> to be pressed. As
> you can imagine this is causing problems for auto-reboot procedures.
> What is causing this message to appear and if possible, how do I get
> rid of it?

> Any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

> Cheers,

> Charlie

Hi, Charlie.

I'll bet one of the added cards has that message and wait for input in
it's initialzation script.

grep through the scripts in the /etc/rc.d looking for the exact phrase
used, then remark it out.

Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
           A SCO Authorized Reseller
           (209) 745-1401 Fax: (209) 745-5640
           Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have loaded OpenServer Enterprise System version 5.0.4 onto a AMI
> Pentium II server with a DPT SmartCache IV RAID Controller, Kingston
> 10Mb Network Card (PCI), Specialix PCI SI/XIO host adapter and PCI
> Legend Video Card. All supplements have been installed in accordance
> to 'README.OSR5.Supplements' and I am experiencing a strange problem
> that I have never come across before, let alone know how to fix it.

> When I installed the system and subsequently every time I boot the
> system, I receive the following message after the 'hwconfig' list
> prior to maintenance mode:

> System loaded, press <RETURN> to continue:

Are you sure it isn't:

  System loaded, press <Return> to start:

?

Quote:> and the system will wait indefinitely for <RETURN> to be pressed. As
> you can imagine this is causing problems for auto-reboot procedures.
> What is causing this message to appear and if possible, how do I get
> rid of it?

If the message is actually appearing *before* the hwconfig list, and
actually reads as I've shown above, then:

  1. It is probably due to the word "prompt" being present in DEFBOOTSTR
     in /etc/default/boot.  Remove it.

  2. The person who described the problem over the phone did a sloppy job.

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy and Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Now posting
from Leicestershire UK; Edinburgh next.  +Please do not Cc: me on news posts!

System loaded, press <RETURN> to continue:

Post by Roberto Zi » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

[snip]

>When I installed the system and subsequently every time I boot the
>system, I receive the following message after the 'hwconfig' list
>prior to maintenance mode:

>System loaded, press <RETURN> to continue:

>and the system will wait indefinitely for <RETURN> to be pressed. As
>you can imagine this is causing problems for auto-reboot procedures.
>What is causing this message to appear and if possible, how do I get
>rid of it?

>Any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

>Cheers,

>Charlie

Hi !

Please double check your /etc/default/boot file and make sure
the string mem=/p does not appear in the DEFBOOTSTR line.

Hope this helps !

Best,
Roberto

--
P.S. : please remove the ending "dy" from my Email address
       if you want to reply.

Strhold Sistemi EDP                           Reggio Emilia      ITALY

"Has anybody seen an aircraft carrier around ?"
(Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)