Install Help Please

Post by cyberdict.. » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Howdy Pilgrims,

I installed Sco Openserver 5.0.6 on a second harddrive successfully.
While trying to get it to dualboot the harddisk died. Win98se 64mb

So I made room on my 8.4 primary by using Partition Magic. I tried
to install on that second partition. However all the options seemed
to end with a threat to erase the whole harddrive.

It seems to me that "preserve" will not work because the Handbook
says there must be an existing Unix partition. I am not sure that
if I format the new partition for Linux(the only PM option) that
Unix will install. Also it is hard for me to read the disk telemetry.

I have an older motherboard with the 2.1 gig bios limitation...which
means I use EZbios to overcome it. I am not so sure that Sco fdisk
sees the entire drive. The PM disk info seems to be in different
units that what I see during the installation at the "preserve" phase.

I have read of other installations which have Windows and SCo on the
same harddrive which recommend installing Windows first. So what am
I missing and is the EZbios a factor? Thanks for any help.

Excellence at chess is one mark of a Scheming mind,
Stephen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Install Help Please

Post by John » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:53:49

>Howdy Pilgrims,

>I installed Sco Openserver 5.0.6 on a second harddrive successfully.
>While trying to get it to dualboot the harddisk died. Win98se 64mb

>So I made room on my 8.4 primary by using Partition Magic. I tried
>to install on that second partition. However all the options seemed
>to end with a threat to erase the whole harddrive.

>It seems to me that "preserve" will not work because the Handbook
>says there must be an existing Unix partition. I am not sure that
>if I format the new partition for Linux(the only PM option) that
>Unix will install. Also it is hard for me to read the disk telemetry.

>I have an older motherboard with the 2.1 gig bios limitation...which
>means I use EZbios to overcome it. I am not so sure that Sco fdisk
>sees the entire drive. The PM disk info seems to be in different
>units that what I see during the installation at the "preserve" phase.

>I have read of other installations which have Windows and SCo on the
>same harddrive which recommend installing Windows first. So what am
>I missing and is the EZbios a factor? Thanks for any help.

SCO will only see what you BIOS sees.  So I dare say _I_ wouldn't try
installing Windows and SCO on that disk.

I've played with this in the past on a laptop, but my BIOS had a 8.4GB
limit, I had a 12GB drive, and the only thing I could do was to get
SCO and Windows installed on an 8.4GB drive, losing 4GB of space.

1. Freebsd 2.2.6 Hangs during CD install, help please.

Freebsd hangs while copying files from CD to disk, at random
times. When it hangs the PC starts beeping.

The PC has been running NT fine. It an all-scsi system with a ASUS
P-II mb an adaptec scsi interface. Under NT I can copy all the files
from CD to disk, which tells me that the CDROM and CD drive are OK.

Any Suggestions ?

Thanks.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

2. dcopidl error

3. Solaris 9 install help please.

4. laptop--nic

5. Linux Install Help Please..

6. Okay i need CDROM help please :)

7. Netscape after install Help Please!

8. 8 bit None parity configure for Modem on solaris

9. 4.3GB Hard Drive Install Help, please

10. Red Hat Install Help Please

11. Won't install [help please]

12. rh7.1: urgent install help please

13. New install help, please