Trouble creating OS5 emer. root diskette

Trouble creating OS5 emer. root diskette

Post by Danny Aldh » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I am having trouble creating an emergency root diskette on OpenServer 5.
I format OK, but run into an error :
   NOTICE : HTFS out of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)
   cpio: cannot create ...
   no space left on device

I am sure that this worked when we first installed the OS.
Any help appreciated.

    Danny Aldham -- Vancouver Technical Support  |   ._ o
          CGS Inc.   SCO APC  Acer-Altos Distr.  |  /  //\.
        Phone (604) 528-6000 Fax (604) 528-6090  | '  \>> |
    -- Keep your stick on the ice. (Red Green)---|     \\ '

Trouble creating OS5 emer. root diskette

Post by Steve Harvanc » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:>I am having trouble creating an emergency root diskette on OpenServer 5.
>I format OK, but run into an error :
>   NOTICE : HTFS out of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)
>   cpio: cannot create ...
>   no space left on device

>I am sure that this worked when we first installed the OS.
>Any help appreciated.

>    Danny Aldham -- Vancouver Technical Support  |   ._ o
>          CGS Inc.   SCO APC  Acer-Altos Distr.  |  /  //\.
>        Phone (604) 528-6000 Fax (604) 528-6090  | '  \>> |
>    -- Keep your stick on the ice. (Red Green)---|     \\ '

Your problem is that the kernel has gotten too big to fit onto the diskette.
You only need to have a kernel that has your backup device and not all the
other devices you added to your kernel.

There is a directory that tracks which additions to the kernel have been
performed.  Edit the appropriate files and remake the kernel and remake the
boot diskettes.  What you are editing is the absense of the drivers from the
kernel ( a* Y/N) in each file).  Sorry I forgot the name of the directory.

Steve Harvancik
Consultant for OMNI Resources
Site: AT&T NMC w/State of Wisconsin - DOA
        316 W. Washington Ave #509
        Madison, WI 53703
       (608)-264-847

Post by Roberto Zi » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I am having trouble creating an emergency root diskette on OpenServer 5.
>I format OK, but run into an error :
>   NOTICE : HTFS out of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)
>   cpio: cannot create ...
>   no space left on device

>I am sure that this worked when we first installed the OS.
>Any help appreciated.

>    Danny Aldham -- Vancouver Technical Support  |   ._ o
>          CGS Inc.   SCO APC  Acer-Altos Distr.  |  /  //\.
>        Phone (604) 528-6000 Fax (604) 528-6090  | '  \>> |
>    -- Keep your stick on the ice. (Red Green)---|     \\ '

Hi. First, make sure you've installed the Supplement Disk which comes with
the OS 5.0 package. If this does not fix the problem, take the steps
outlined below.

Edit the file /usr/lib/mkdev/fd and look for a line which reads

/etc/mkfs -y -f EAFS /dev/marry/tmp/ramdisk 5120:<n> > /dev/null 2>&1

<n> is the max number of inodes allocated during the creation of the disk.
You should increase this number (SCO suggest to bring it to 1000), write
the changes back to the disk (i.e. write while exiting from (I suppose)
vi) and invoke the script again. This should fix your problem.

Strhold Sistemi EDP
Reggio Emilia      ITALY
Acca', nisciuno e' fess !
                              (TOM - the red cat, Silvester's friend)

Trouble creating OS5 emer. root diskette

Post by P.R.Joh » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

(Steve Harvancik) writes:

Aldham)
> writes:

> >I am having trouble creating an emergency root diskette on OpenServer 5.
> >I format OK, but run into an error :
> >   NOTICE : HTFS out of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)
> >   cpio: cannot create ...
> >   no space left on device

> >I am sure that this worked when we first installed the OS.
> >Any help appreciated.
> Your problem is that the kernel has gotten too big to fit onto the
diskette.
> You only need to have a kernel that has your backup device and not all the
> other devices you added to your kernel.

I think he mentions the root, not boot, disk, which suggests
he might have too many device nodes in /dev to fit on the floppy.
Edit /usr/lib/mkdev/fd, adding the devices to exclude to the
NOTREQ list. I imagine a multi-port board was added after
the install, or somesuch.

--
P.R.John

1. Creating boot/root diskettes with RH 5.0?

Hi,

I am attempting to create a boot/root diskette set for RedHat Linux
V5.0, and it's not going well.  My machine boots from the first
diskette well enough, and it even mounts the root diskette and spawns
a getty.  However, all attempts to log in are refused with what looks
like some PAM error message (it flashes by very quickly).

As part of the debugging effort, I'm now using a small hard disk
partition as the root disk, and I've copied the entire set of PAM
libraries into /lib and /lib/security.  I've used 'find -anewer' to
identify every file that login touches, and I've put all of these (OK,
so I didn't copy the timezone stuff!) on my root partition as well.
Still no dice.

Does anyone have any idea about what I'm doing wrong?

Btw, I'm doing this so I can boot a machine from a diskette set, then
use dd over the LAN to copy a disk immage from a standard machine onto
the local hard disk.  The idea is to save the hassle of removing the
disk from 30 or machines in order to dup them.  Over 100MBs ethernet
it should still be pretty fast.

Thanks,
        Chance

2. mounting to windows2000 drive??

3. How Do I Create SVR4.2 Root & Boot Diskettes?

4. How do I....

5. How to log in as root w/o emer floppy

6. Boot -s replies!

7. mounting root partition from root floppy diskette

8. Via Sound Card on Asus K7M Mother Board

9. Trouble creating zdisk, "unable to mount root"

10. Trouble creating boot/root floppy disk

11. FW: linking a BTLD diskette at boot/install time - OS5

12. linking a BTLD diskette at boot/install time - OS5

13. creating linux install diskettes from CD