Adaptec 2940au won't boot

Post by Larry Owen » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to upgrade from an Adaptec 7850 (OEM) SCSI controller to a
2940au in anticipation of moving to 'Ultra SCSI' drives. First, I
installed the latest (?) drivers from Adaptec (alad325 v1.3/d1.8). The
old card worked fine. With the new card installed, I get a kernel panic
on boot.

The motherboard is a 'Super' with on board support for the 7850 card.
Could this be conflicting with the 2940au? Does this card normally work?
I have installed several of the original 2940's with no problem but this
version is no longer available.

P.S. I suspect this may have been addressed in previous posts. Is there
an archive of this newsgroup with a search engine?

Thanks for any ideas,  Larry Owens

Adaptec 2940au won't boot

Post by Andrew Smit » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Do you mean the SuperMicro PentiumPro Motherboard with essentially an
on-board 2940UW?

If so, you do not need a Adaptex 2940 card.

I have just installed one of these board with a Mylex 3-channel Ultra-SCSI
cacheing RAID controller with three IBM 4Gb drives running in RAID 0+1 (6)
and it is fast.  A complete kernel rebuild including the user prompts took
~10 seconds.

> I am trying to upgrade from an Adaptec 7850 (OEM) SCSI controller to a
> 2940au in anticipation of moving to 'Ultra SCSI' drives. First, I
> installed the latest (?) drivers from Adaptec (alad325 v1.3/d1.8). The
> old card worked fine. With the new card installed, I get a kernel panic
> on boot.

> The motherboard is a 'Super' with on board support for the 7850 card.
> Could this be conflicting with the 2940au? Does this card normally work?
> I have installed several of the original 2940's with no problem but this
> version is no longer available.

> P.S. I suspect this may have been addressed in previous posts. Is there
> an archive of this newsgroup with a search engine?

> Thanks for any ideas,  Larry Owens

Andrew Smith BSc(Hons), MBA                            Tel: 0131-551 2702
Valley Technology Limited, Edinburgh. SCOTLAND         Fax: 0131-551 2702

Adaptec 2940au won't boot

Post by Robert Dui » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

There must be a problem with this unfortunate card. It seems to work on
Open Server, but....

When I try to install SMP and reboot the machine system gives following
messages:

WARNING: allad: Pool command failed on drive ID:0

WARNING hd: no root disk controller

H init

PANIC: srmountfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)
Unable to freeze processor 2, proceeding...
Error 19 opening dumpdev (1/41)

----------

My question is: Has anyone have expirience with this AHA2940au with SMP ?

: Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 12:29:26 -0800

: Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
: Subject: Adaptec 2940au won't boot
:
[...]

Robert Duic
WIMAL International
Phone : (48 22) 47-94-62
Fax   : (48 22) 47-94-22

PGP FP: 79 56 C4 64 10 B8 42 28  15 C8 AB C1 F3 80 A3 DB