ATI Mach 64 Graphics Again

Post by Leroy La » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Bela and Graphics gurus out there:

I thought I would revisit this problem one more time before I abandon
these two Mach 64 Graphics cards and attempt to find others that work.

The system is a SecreWare (SCO) Compartmented Mode Workstation.  That is
a secure version of SCO ODT 3.  Our system is an Intel ATX pentium 166
with a PCI buss.  We have the Mach 64 Graphics Pro Turbo PCI graphics and
an Adaptec PCI SCSI card.  The system system had two 3Com 3C509 ENet
cards installed (removed for this last set of tests).  We are using the
keyboard mouse option on the motherboard and have a logitec PS-2 mouse.
I have been attempting to use the enhanced graphics support to get
resolutions higher than VGA for the two people who use it as a
development machine.

Below is a description of the steps I have used and the behavior of the
system.  Three very puzzling questions come up as a result of my attempts
to make the system run.

1.  Why do the Graphics card and the mouse step on each other?
2.  Why does one mouse work and another mouse not work (PS2 is PS2??)?
3.  Is there any hope of finding some configuration of graphics drivers
that will make the system function at the 1024X768 resolution?

I hope someone will know how to make these boards work so I won't have to
eat the two boards.  Additionally, it doesn't appear that there are many
boards available that will work with the AGA support.  Things become
antiques rapidly in the PC market.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Leroy Lacy
Armadillo Systems Inc.

I removed all peripheral boards from the system, removed all windows and
other utilities from the DOS partition, and reset the Mach 64 board to
factory defaults.  I then began a complete install beginning with fdisk
to repartition the disk.  I followed the instructions to allow a Mach64
1024X768 256 color 60 Hz graphics install.  The installation completed
and I added the AGA support from the SCO FTP server.  I then installed
the Mach 64 drivers and configured to have 1024X768 256 colors at 60 Hz.

When completed and moved into the init 2 state, the system attempted to
start the graphics several times (much clicking from the monotor) and
after a few minutes gave the following messages:

        Warning: AllocReservedColor leaving gap in colormap
                Total: 256 nRes: 0, pixel: 255
        Warning: AllocReservedColor leaving gap in colormap
                Total: 256 nRes: 1, pixel: 254

Open event driver failed:
Fatal server error:
Check mouse configuration:

I tried this for several other configurations and each time it gave the
above error for the last two pixels for the number of colors specified.

I then did a mkdev mouse and changed the mouse configuration to a serial
mouse and went back and attempted to do a 1024X768 256 color 60Hz.  This
time I didn't get the errors above but got colors on the monitor.  The
colors seemed to be CMW colors but they were in bars.  The top half of
the monitor was dark blue.  The bottom half had bars of light blue and
yellow.  I tried this for another resolution with similar result.  I
tried to log in by just typing root and the password and the disks
started to rattle like it understood the keystrokes and was attempting to
log me in.  The graphics patterns changed a little.

My colleague with the other system purchased another mouse, his mouse
systems White Mouse works when in VGA mode and also demonstrates the
color behavior I get with a serial mouse.  My logitec won't work as a PS-2
mouse.

Physical Description of Board

ATI Mach 64 Graphics Pro Turbo PCI - 2 MB VRAM

Part number - PCI Mach 64 113-33206-100 1996

Chips
        Big chip in center
                ATI Technologies Mach 64
                210 888GX00
                swg * BNUAH01
                A22DA9635
                J551PZR
                Malta

        Small "potted" chip
                IBM 37RG8514CF17
                9314
                pallette DAC
                19634000F
Board Part number
        PN109-33200-10
Board has tow jumpers, both open

Back of Board
        Non upgradable
        P/N 1023322710507814
        S/N SC63G95343

Configuration (according to setup disk)

PCI ATI88800GX
Controller Revision 3
Base I/O Address 2ECH
Relocatable I/O disabled
Video BIOS Version 2 009 1996/05/09
Video BIOS P/N 113-33206-100
VGA Functionality Enabled
Video Memory 2MB VRAM
VGA Memory Boundary Shared
Monitor Type Factory Default
Power up Video Mode VGA (CV80) Color Pri.
DAC type IBM RGB514

Installed modes 640X480 60 Hz N.I. (max bpp=32)
                800X600 60 Hz N.I. (max bpp=32)
                1024X768 60 Hz N.I. (max bpp=16)
                1280X1024 43 Hz I. (max bpp=8)
                640X400 70Hz N.I. (max bpp=32) [VGA]

Leroy

ATI Mach 64 Graphics Again

Post by Leroy La » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

SCO gurus and us mortals:

I thought I would follow this post up with what I have found while trying
to get the PCI Mach 64 card to work in my CMW (SCO ODT 3.0).

I found a very helpful person at ATI who said that Mach 64 boards of
serial number 254000 and below will work with existing UNIX drivers.  At
around 25500, ATI stopped puting EPROM on the BIOS chip and that changed
the driver requirements.  All the current DOS, Windows drivers have been
updated to work without an EPROM, but they don't support UNIX, so some
3rd party will have to create an updated driver for the current Mach64
boards.

I now have a Diamond Stealth 64 board and it works with the CMW.

Thanks for all the help from the net.

Leroy Lacy

[...]

1. Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM or ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach 64)?

I'm looking into getting a Micron P120PCI Millennia Plus system for
running Linux and XFree86. The Micron upgrade choices for video cards
are:

 - Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM    - 2MB or 4MB
 - ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach 64) - 2MB or 4MB

Which is better supported in XFree86?

Is there any significant speed difference between these two cards for
XFree86?

I've heard that some cards run faster w/4MB than 2MB due to memory
interleaving or double wide bus access.  Do either of these two cards
have this property or is the only difference for these cards the
number of colors supported at higher resolutions?

Thanks,
Doug

2. BOCA 16-port problems, WinNT threatened?!

3. ATI Mach 64 and MAG DX17F (yet again)

4. Sedit for linux?

5. Help! They changed the ATI Mach 64 Again!

6. : Can one redirect ALSA sound to disk?

7. ATI Mach 64 Again

8. Macintosh 6400 and Linux

9. ATI MACH 64 again ;)

10. ATI Mach 64 - Again!