Upgrade to 5.0 - what about old binaries?

Upgrade to 5.0 - what about old binaries?

Post by James E. Proct » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello all,

I have placed a order to upgrade my OSE 3.0 to the new 5.0 Enterprise system.
I was wondering what, if any, programs I would have to upgrade to work on the
new system. For example, tcp_wrappers, cops, pine, u386mon. I know that the
new system has backwards compatability designed in, but some of these, such
as u386mon and maybe tcp_wrappers could have problems with the new version
OS (just a hunch). Has anyone found out "the hard way" about any of these under
5.0?

BTW - I don't have the development system, so I can't just recompile then for
the new system. I rely on the good graces and generosity of the people who make
the binaries available. To these people, I am eternally grateful.

Thanks,
Jim

__
James E. Proctor      National Institute of Standards and Technology
Don't listen to anything I say - I never do.

Post by David Atki » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Upgrade to 5.0 - what about old binaries?
>Date: 12 Jul 1995 15:21:34 GMT
>Hello all,
>I have placed a order to upgrade my OSE 3.0 to the new 5.0 Enterprise system.
>I was wondering what, if any, programs I would have to upgrade to work on the
>new system. For example, tcp_wrappers, cops, pine, u386mon. I know that the
>new system has backwards compatability designed in, but some of these, such
>as u386mon and maybe tcp_wrappers could have problems with the new version
>OS (just a hunch). Has anyone found out "the hard way" about any of these under
>5.0?

I have tried some fairly troublesome binaries and haven't seen any problems
(yet).

Running EMACS and RCS off of the SkunkWare distribution is giving me a problem
when I check in or out a file on an NFS filesystem on a ODT 3.0 fileserver.
But I'll get to that in a different post.

Quote:>BTW - I don't have the development system, so I can't just recompile then for
>the new system. I rely on the good graces and generosity of the people who make
>the binaries available. To these people, I am eternally grateful.

Currently SCO is running a promotion for personal development systems through
their integrators.  I just purchased an OpenServer Enterprise System, with a 5
user license, SCO Virtual Disk Manager, SCO Merge Server System License, SCO
Wabi Server System License, SCO OpenServer Development System, and SCO SMP
License for 1 add'l CPU for $345.00.

This included full TCP/IP, NFS, NIS, Lan Manager, IPX/SPX, Netware Server
Integration, X-Windows and Motif.

Plus, lots of other cool stuff.  The integrator I got it from will throw the
promo copy in free with the purchase of a server.

The caveat is one copy per entity, no support, no manuals (except for full
HTML Manuals and documentation set online)

Quote:>Thanks,
>Jim
>__
>James E. Proctor      National Institute of Standards and Technology
>Don't listen to anything I say - I never do.

Upgrade to 5.0 - what about old binaries?

Post by John W. Templ » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have placed a order to upgrade my OSE 3.0 to the new 5.0 Enterprise system.
>I was wondering what, if any, programs I would have to upgrade to work on the
>new system. For example, tcp_wrappers, cops, pine, u386mon.

Both tcp_wrappers and u386mon binaries from 3.0 work fine on 5.0.
tcp_wrappers was no surprise (it doesn't do anything unusual) but I
must admit I was surprised about u386mon since it's presumably
dependent on kernel structures.  I brought my /usr/local/bin directory
from 3.0 to 5.0 and haven't been forced to recompile a thing.  Simple
character programs to Motif binaries all work fine.  And I've compiled
some stuff under 5.0 in ELF mode linking in some COFF libraries from
3.0 with no problems.
--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the only public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

1. Help: old binaries seg fault after Slackware 7 upgrade

Hello, I've scanned the newsgroups looking to see if anyone else has had
this problem but I haven't seen it yet. I had the Slackware 1996 release
previously installed (I think Slwackware 3.1) with Kernel 2.0.32. I just
wiped out the old installation and did a fresh installation of Slackware
7 with Kernel 2.2.13. The problem I have is when I try to run other
binaries from another Slackware 3.1 machine, they all seg fault. Things
like xclock and color_xterm and so forth. I double checked and made sure
I had ELF and a.out support compiled in the new kernel. Is there
something about this new glibc or something that won't run old
dynamically linked binaries? Do I need to install some old libs? I guess
statically compiled binaries work OK but not other ones. Any suggestions
would be appreciated. I thought Slackware 7 would include any old libs
needed to run old binaries but maybe I'm wrong.. TIA
Andrew Edmonds - PGP public key available for download on my homepage
E-Mail, wesly (at) mail (dot) com , http://www.cia-g.com/~wesly

2. RPC

3. X Windows and my old old old old video card

4. Possible MM/paging bug ?

5. Upgraded Kernel - HOWTO Upgrade Sys. Binaries?

6. AIX Sockets question

7. Linux 2.0.x SCSI behaviour

8. ufstype=old = how old? SunOS fstype=4.2 old?

9. Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.

10. Missing a serial number for SCO OS 4.2 (old-old-old...)

11. Problems installing FreeBSD 5.0 on old 386

12. Old Logitech mouse problem in RedHat 5.0