News Handlers for SCO Unix

Post by Matthew Lineha » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Does any one know of a reasonable Internet News handler for SCO.

SCO seems to have everything that you could want except a news
handler.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew Linehan
EUnet GB Limited

News Handlers for SCO Unix

Post by Matthew Lineha » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Youri

> |> Does any one know of a reasonable Internet News handler for SCO.
> |>
> |> SCO seems to have everything that you could want except a news
> |> handler.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> |>

> [ Hereafter I presume "handler" means "client", or "reader", not "server" ]

Just threw that in to confuse you there :-)

I actually mean a 'handler' in the 'handling server' sense, not
the 'client' or 'reader' sense.

Quote:

> The definition of "reasonable" may vary, but I think tin is one of
> the best in character-based class of newsreaders, while with X you
> might try xrn ( old warrior :), knews ( the new and *very* promising

already have (xrn that is, rn isn't that bad either)

Quote:> one built with Tcl/Tk ), Arena ( I heard it isn't stable so far and
> evolves pretty slow ) and, to some extent, NCSA Mosaic v2.6/2.7b?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

News Handlers for SCO Unix

Post by Youri N. Podchos » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

|> Does any one know of a reasonable Internet News handler for SCO.
|>
|> SCO seems to have everything that you could want except a news
|> handler.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ Hereafter I presume "handler" means "client", or "reader", not "server" ]

The definition of "reasonable" may vary, but I think tin is one of
the best in character-based class of newsreaders, while with X you
might try xrn ( old warrior :), knews ( the new and *very* promising
one built with Tcl/Tk ), Arena ( I heard it isn't stable so far and
evolves pretty slow ) and, to some extent, NCSA Mosaic v2.6/2.7b?

| Youri N. Podchosov (ynp) * Davidsohn & Son, Inc. NYC * 718-234-4140 |

1. News Handlers for SCO Unix

: So what do people use?  I have 3.2v4.2 and no DDK.  I have SLURP to get
: news, but don't use it 'cos I don't know what to use to read it after
: it's been slurped!

I don't have SLURP, but I thought it put the news files into the correct
directories. Then you just need a newsreader like tin or xrn. Here we
use Cnews which takes care of bundling & unbundling our uucp news feed.
We also have NNTP which lets us run Freeagent on local PC's. NNTP won't
pull a news feed though.

At home I use INN1.4 which I got off of Celestial, but it does require
a development system. INN will pull a newsfeed, so you can toss out SLURP,
it will age your articles and will bundle up articles if you want to feed
other sites. I found binarys for NNTP, Cnews and tin: all at Celestial or
our ISP wimsey.com. I doubt you will find INN binaries, but if you buy the
News package from Celestial you might get binaries too.

       Danny Aldham -- Technical Support Manager
             CGS Inc., SCO APC.   Vancouver BC
        Phone (604) 528-6000 Fax (604) 528-6090

2. problems with netscape under kernel 2.0.??

3. Handlers, Handlers, Handlers

4. PERL

5. Breaking News: SCO confirms copyright ownership of UNIX

6. Linux boot disk

7. Sendmail and NNTP news on SCO Unix V 3.2

8. How Widespread is ELF?

9. C News "dostatfs.c" for SCO UNIX and AIX 3.1

10. Where can I get news software for SCO Unix

11. biz.sco.* replaced by comp.unix.sco.*; biz.sco.* newsgroups removed.

12. Threads performance - allow signal handler to not call handler

13. Piping a Handler to a Handler in apache 1.3.0, i.e., ssi in cgi output