man is seeing double

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Ed Hew writes:

> } Another one I'd rather start discussing here...
> }
> } The 'man' command shows me any manual page in /usr/man/cat.* >>twice<<,
> } one time after the other.
> }
> }  man icc
> }  ... read to the end of the stuff...
> }  ... here it comes again, from the top...
> }
> } If there's a man.* file more recent than its formatted version, man STILL
> } shows you the cat.* version twice, then calls the nr script to reformat.

> Hmmm, I don't see this behaviour at all.  I'm still running FRDE14.
> I don't have whatever package "icc" comes with installed and thus
> don't have that specific man page, so I tried a "man cat", not to
> mention a small bunch of others, all with no problem - they only
> display once, properly nroff'd.

man cat is fine. man man is fine. Those are presented to you from their
html equivalent. I'm talking about man pages that exist in a cat.something
directory under /usr/man.

If you look for what you have like that under FRDE, there'll be three of
them.
Careful, because man will destroy them after it can't find nroff.

BTW, the inode problem: that was on FRDE14??

Yes, you're hallucinating.  The IP version number is 4 bits of the first
byte in the IP header.  The upper 4 bits are the length of the IP header
measured in double-words.  Since the IP header is frequently 20 bytes
long, that 4-bit length field is often '5'.  You're no doubt reading the
wrong field.
--
= Warren -- See the *ix pages at http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/ix/
=

2. removing special characters (in vi ? )

3. double man pages in man and cat

4. Trouble with soundcard!

5. UNIX Mailing question

6. My mouse sees double or triple!

7. grep: filename *and* matching string output

8. Seeing double - /dev/sr0, 1, 2, 3 - for two IDE-SCSI devices... why?

9. Mosaic for Linux sees double

10. SCO seeing double & the MACH 32 EISA

11. Using the last Command - What am I Seeing?

12. What am I seeing in Xload?