IP over Dialup Question

Post by nud.. » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I know I ask dumb questions, but here's another.
I dial into my SCO5.02 box at the office using a simple
terminal program on my PC at home.

What I woiuld really like to do is establish a TCP/IP
connection via the Modem so that I can use the same terminal
program I use at the office.  (Part of the Winsocks package
from Network Instruments.)

Any tips would be appreciated...

IP over Dialup Question

Post by PAL30 » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The SCO site has some good tech documents.  You can go to

    http://WWW.SCO.COM/ta/

Do a search on Win95 (I assume this is what you are using)
One of the documents (#13 I think) will be exactly what you need.

It worked for me, with a limited amount of problems.

Paul

>I know I ask dumb questions, but here's another.
>I dial into my SCO5.02 box at the office using a simple
>terminal program on my PC at home.

>What I woiuld really like to do is establish a TCP/IP
>connection via the Modem so that I can use the same terminal
>program I use at the office.  (Part of the Winsocks package
>from Network Instruments.)

>Any tips would be appreciated...

--------------------------------------
To reply by email, please take out the
words REMOVETHIS from my email address

IP over Dialup Question

Post by Ryder Broo » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

You would want to establish a PPP session from your PC to the 5.0.2
box. This will allow for routing of TCP/IP packets over the modem.
There are other ways of doing this, but PPP is probably your best bet.
Check out www.sco.com/ta for a search engine that you can search for
PPP. You should find instructions for setting the unix server for
incoming connections.

-Ryder