SCO Technical Articles released on 20001111

SCO Technical Articles released on 20001111

Post by RadleyRobo » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The following problems are addressed in Technical Articles that appeared
on SCO's web site in the week ending 20001111.

Each problem is preceded by the URL reference to get the relevant article
from the WAIS database at sco.com.

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?104915
        created 22 Nov 1995
        revised 11 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  When the kernel is relinked, it fails with this error:

             ld locore.o 34: can't allocate section .bss into owner KV_loads
             ld fatal: Error(s). No output written to unix
             ERROR: Can not link-edit unix

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?105345
        created 27 Nov 1996
        revised 08 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  How do I manually configure Morning Star PPP for incoming and/or
          outgoing connections on my SCO server?  Although this can be
          done easily through the Internet Manager (on Internet FastStart
          Release 1.0.0 and later), the layered Morning Star PPP product must
          have all connections configured manually.

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?107354
        created 10 Jul 1992
        revised 07 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  How can I transfer a file using ftp non-interactive mode?

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?109403
        created 12 Jun 1998
        revised 08 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  After installing Windows 95 Version B under Merge 4.0, I open
          the Windows Control Panel -> Fonts folder and instead of the Font
          names being listed, the File names are listed.  Also, there is
          no option to 'Install New Fonts'.

          Under Windows 95 Version A the Font names are listed, but again
          there is no option to Install New Fonts.

          The above problem does not exist on a standalone Windows 95
          installation.

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?110003
        created 06 Mar 1999
        revised 07 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  After installing Support Level Supplement (SLS) OSS471C, and
          rebooting the system, the following message is displayed on the
          console:

             UX: P6 update: Error: cannot bind to processor 1

          The system continues to boot without further incident and
          appears stable.

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?110973
        created 14 Apr 2000
        revised 08 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  When I add a tape drive unsuccessfully, I either can't remove it,
          or I get errors while the kernel is relinking. What files are
          modified during a tape drive installation?

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111241
        created 17 Jul 2000
        revised 09 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  I want to connect my SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 system to an Internet
          Service Provider (ISP) so I can gain access to the Internet and
          World Wide Web (WWW). My particular ISP has told me they will
          dynamically allocate my system an Internet (or IP) address.
          How do I set up my SCO system?

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111261
        created 25 Jul 2000
        revised 06 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  What issues are addressed by Support Level Supplement (SLS) ptf7607e,
          the UnixWare 7.1.1 libc Supplement?

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111485
        created 06 Oct 2000
        revised 06 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  How do I determine how much memory is used by the first and
          subsequent invocations of a program? The example output for
          the crash(ADM) region command in Appendix D of the System
          Administration Guide looks different from what I see on my
          own system, and I can no longer tell whether some regions
          are private or shared text. (To access this Appendix, point
          your browser at the following URL. If your browser is not
          running on an OpenServer system, then substitute the fully
          qualified domain name of a remote OpenServer host, such as
          osr5doc.sco.com, for "localhost":)

                    http://localhost:457//OSAdminG/det_proc_size.html

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111505
        created 13 Oct 2000
        revised 06 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  When I try to transfer files larger that 2GB using rcp,
          I get the following error:

            rcp: file <FILENAME> not copied as destination ulimit too small

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111506
        created 13 Oct 2000
        revised 06 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  After installing or upgrading to SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 I have
          discovered that the <Alt> key on my console keyboard no longer
          produces the correct characters when used in combination with
          other keys.

          For example, a German keyboard is unable to produce the following
          characters:

                 '|', '@', '~', '\', '[', ']', '{', '}'

          The problem only exists using multiscreens in character mode,
          not when accessing applications via the X server.

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111507
        created 13 Oct 2000
        revised 09 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  How do I verify that my system will adjust its clock correctly when
          moving from daylight saving time to standard time (also known as
          summer time and winter time respectively)?

          I have installed the latest time zone rules files from TLS710, and
          set the system time zone to WET (this time zone corresponds to
          Western European Time, and is used here as an example).

          NOTE: The files offered in the Technical Library Supplements (TLS)
          directory are for experimental or educational use only.  They
          are provided "AS IS" to knowledgeable users as a courtesy.
          They are NOT supported by SCO Support Services.  All use of
          this material is the sole responsibility of the user.  See the
          associated "README" files located in the TLS directory at SCO's
          ftp site:  ftp://ftp.sco.com/TLS

          Here are the W-Eur rules that apply from 1996 onwards, excerpted
          from /etc/TZ/europe (W-Eur rules correspond to the WET time zone -
          see the Zone section):

# Rule  NAME    FROM    TO      TYPE    IN      ON      AT      SAVE    LETTER/S
====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111542
        created 27 Oct 2000
        revised 06 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  When installing SCO Merge 5 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4, 5.0.5, or
          5.0.6, I get the following kernel relink errors:

      The UNIX Operating System will now be rebuilt.
      This will take a few minutes.  Please wait.

      Root for this system build is /
      undefined  symbol
      first referenced in file
      mdi_EndOfContigSegment   /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Ga/etc/conf/pack.d/
      vnetint/Driver.o
      i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
      ERROR: Can not link-edit unix

      idbuild: idmkunix had errors.
      System build failed.

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111562
        created 01 Nov 2000
        revised 06 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  "lpstat -o", which displays the status of outstanding
          print requests, scrolls output in an endless loop after spooling a
          print job of 1 billion (1,000,000,000) bytes or more.

====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====    ====

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111564
        created 03 Nov 2000
        revised 10 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  Using a UnixWare 7.1.0 or 7.1.1 server as a UUCP hub, problems
          occur when attempting to list more than 200 sites using the
          "uustat" command, and this error message is displayed:

                table overflow -- output incomplete

        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?111583
        created 08 Nov 2000
        revised 10 Nov 2000
PROBLEM:  My system switches from daylight saving time (summer time) to
          winter time on the last Sunday in September when it should
          change on the last Sunday in October.