Logical Block Addressing (LBA) for Disk

Post by Gre » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Does SCO 3.2v4.21 support Logical Block Addressing?

I have a Maxtor 1.6 GB dirve that I'm trying to load both SCO and DOS
on and need to have LBA for DOS to see the whole drive but it seems to
cause problems when loading SCO. After creating paritions and file
systems, the install process prompts for what media to load from and
then gives the following error:
    /inst2/tapestring: /mnt/tmp/mediatype: cannot create

Is there a patch or something that could be entered at the 'boot:'
prompt to handle this?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
   Greg

Post by Stephen Davie » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Does SCO 3.2v4.21 support Logical Block Addressing?

> I have a Maxtor 1.6 GB dirve that I'm trying to load both SCO and DOS
> on and need to have LBA for DOS to see the whole drive but it seems to
> cause problems when loading SCO. After creating paritions and file
> systems, the install process prompts for what media to load from and
> then gives the following error:
>     /inst2/tapestring: /mnt/tmp/mediatype: cannot create

> Is there a patch or something that could be entered at the 'boot:'
> prompt to handle this?

> Anyone got any ideas?

> Thanks,
>    Greg

No 4.2 does not support LBA. Is there a patch? I don't know

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> > Does SCO 3.2v4.21 support Logical Block Addressing?

> > I have a Maxtor 1.6 GB dirve that I'm trying to load both SCO and DOS
> > on and need to have LBA for DOS to see the whole drive but it seems to
> > cause problems when loading SCO. After creating paritions and file
> > systems, the install process prompts for what media to load from and
> > then gives the following error:
> >     /inst2/tapestring: /mnt/tmp/mediatype: cannot create

> > Is there a patch or something that could be entered at the 'boot:'
> > prompt to handle this?

> > Anyone got any ideas?

> > Thanks,
> >    Greg

> No 4.2 does not support LBA. Is there a patch? I don't know

There is a patch: SLS uod429 on ftp://ftp.sco.com/SLS/.

Quote:>Bela<

Post by Stephen M. Du » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

$Does SCO 3.2v4.21 support Logical Block Addressing?

   There's no such version.  But whether you mean 3.2v4.2 or 3.2v4.1,
the answer is the same - it does not.

   Look at uod429a and see if it does what you need.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251