Default UID numbers out of whack!

Post by Joe DeBis » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I just installed OS5.0.2c on a new system.  All is working fine except the
default UID is messed up.  When I add users it default user ID numbers in
the 30000 range.  What happened??  How can I fix this???

Any info would be appreciated!!

Joe DeBiso
Plantrol Systems, Ltd.

Post by Tom Parson » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Joe DeBiso writes:
>I just installed OS5.0.2c on a new system.  All is working fine except the
>default UID is messed up.  When I add users it default user ID numbers in
>the 30000 range.  What happened??  How can I fix this???

>Any info would be appreciated!!

5.0.2c??? why not 5.0.4......

You also installed AFPS and that install whacked your uid numbers (doesn't
happen in 5.0.4).

Visit the SCO website and search the Technical Articles database for
any of these keywords, uidrules, minuid, maxuid

1. default special uids

Can anyone point me to info on how system uids (<500) are selected?
There seems to be some method behind the madness in /etc/passwd eg.
apache=48 nobody=99. Or is this something the distros reserve for
quibbling?

../C

2. Can′t run X on SuSE6.4 with Rage128 Pro

3. system defaults with uid=0 on sys 5 release 4 unix

4. Caldera Aaaaarrrggh!

5. Default crontab of UID "root"

6. RedHat 5.2 installation problems

7. How to have BIG UID numbers?

8. OpenBSD pppd: 'tcsetattr: Invalid argument'

9. Size of UID Number

10. UID Numbers

11. converting serial numbers to UID's

12. UID GID problem, adduser not using correct numbers

13. Minus UID Numbers