SCSI root disk and ATAPI CD-ROM

Post by Paol » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,
I installed Open Server 5.0.2 on a SCSI hard disk from the ATAPI cdrom.
Now every time I try to mount a cdrom the mount utility freeze and I
must kill it.
In the Handbook I read that with root filesystem on SCSI hard disk only
other SCSI h.d. can be added: is it true for cdroms too?

Paolo Basenghi

SCSI root disk and ATAPI CD-ROM

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Paolo telecommunicated:
| Hello,
| I installed Open Server 5.0.2 on a SCSI hard disk from the ATAPI cdrom.
| Now every time I try to mount a cdrom the mount utility freeze and I
| must kill it.

Does it help if you use the -r flag, to mount it read-only?

--

1. Red Hat lilo problem with ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI disk

The lilo installation in Red Hat 3.0.3 does not seem to correctly set up
lilo.conf for booting from the MBR of my SCSI disk.  There is an ATAPI
CD-ROM as master on the primary IDE interface (but no other IDE drives),
and a single SCSI host adaptor with a SCSI disk at ID=0.

The installation programs are happy to correctly insert "root=/dev/sda3"
into lilo.conf but insist on "boot=/dev/hda" in spite of there being
only an ATAPI CD-ROM there, no EIDE disks.  Naturally, this lilo
configuration does not boot.

Question 3.11 of RedHat-FAQ.txt gives the means to boot and correct the
"boot=/dev/hda" to "boot=/dev/sda" after which everything is fine (and
the installation process is otherwise superbly designed and executed).

However it seems to me that this is a perfectly reasonable configuration
that should install correctly without manual intervention.  The
installation programs already know that the "drive" at /dev/hda is a
CD-ROM and so the lilo installation should not count this as a candidate
device for booting.

Have I missed something that would have avoided the problem, or is this
the bug it seems to be?
--

2. linux & compaq old tape system

3. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

4. Pb Installation SarOffice3.1 and RedHat5.0 : Solution

5. Finally got ATAPI ZIP working with ATAPI CD-ROM

6. Schedule for KDevelop2 ?

7. installing to EDI-disks from ATAPI CD-ROM (mistery)

8. Primax Hand Scanner with Linux?

9. atapi ide cd-rom not detected when using idecd boot disk????!!!!

10. Linux and ATAPI CD-ROM recognised from boot disk, not from LILO

11. Hard disk LED stays on after ATAPI CD-ROM probe

12. ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI HD (Adaptec 2940 W/UW)

13. Help with SCSI harddrive and IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM