Broadcast Message which shouldn't have been

Broadcast Message which shouldn't have been

Post by James E. Proct » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello All,

Interesting thing happened yesterday morning. While I was sitting at the
console of my OSE 3.0 system, named onyx, logged in as root, the console
beeped and the following message appeared:

Broadcast Message from root (console) on onyx Jul 11 08:45 1995

                          stella going down IMMEDIATELY

This was very odd since:

1. As I said, I was logged in on the console of onyx as root and issued no such
broadcast message.

and

2. Stella is another system here that isn't even  on the same sub-net as onyx.

I quickly ran netstat -a, but found no apparent network connections from
stalla. Then I ping'ed stella and found her up and running. I waited a few
minutes and ping'ed again, and no stella. So it would appear that stella did in
fact shutdown and was probably the source of the broadcast message. Of course,
in part I waited just to see if my system would shut itself down in a state of
confusion :-) Fortunately it regained its composure and continued as though
nothing had happened.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause my system to get confused and think
that a broadcast message from a user on a system two gateways and a token-ring
away could have come from its own console, and from root no less???

Thanks in advance.
Jim

__
James E. Proctor      National Institute of Standards and Technology
Don't listen to anything I say - I never do.
"Be reasonable, see it MY way." - my Dad

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Interesting thing happened yesterday morning. While I was sitting at the
> console of my OSE 3.0 system, named onyx, logged in as root, the console
> beeped and the following message appeared:

> Broadcast Message from root (console) on onyx Jul 11 08:45 1995

>                           stella going down IMMEDIATELY

> This was very odd since:

> 1. As I said, I was logged in on the console of onyx as root and issued no such
> broadcast message.

> and

> 2. Stella is another system here that isn't even  on the same sub-net as onyx.

Your machine (onyx) had one or more filesystems mounted via NFS from the

shutdown program which apparently detects such mounts and uses
rwall(NADM) to broadcast warnings to the affected filesystem client
systems.

Quote:>Bela<