Any good Optical Drives for SCO?

Post by GSFS Ni » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am on a frantic search to find a reliable optical (or Jazz type drive)
to use on non-networked pentium desktop.  I need something fairly easy to
install and operate (Because I am not quite a Unix guru like most people
on this page).  I originally hoped to use the Dynamo drive, but according
to Fujitsu that product might not work under SCO and wasn't suggested.

Any information and installation tips is greatly appreciated!!

Darren

1. optical drives and optical media

Could someone out there enlighten me (a bit) on the
 pros/cons of the available optical media/drives? I am not
 interested in capacities, prices, etc (that I can surely
 find out), but rather on their logical structure, on the
 filesystems supported, and on their easy of use.

   What I mean is the following: right now, the following
 main types are available: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM (and DVD+RW),
 and MO.

   On one extreme, we have the CD-R and its write-once media.
 CD recording is a bit tricky, because a CD-R disk cannot be
 written more than once, and also (probably) because it is
 conceptually different from a hard drive: the hard disk has
 cylinders, sectors,... while the CD-R has a single spiral
 track. It seems one cannot just copy files to a CD-R (even
 a multisession one); rather, one has to generate some "image"
 in the first place.

   Magneto-optical disks seem to be very flexible (their
 logical structure is like those of hard-disks, and they
 are rewritable) and work fine with Unix systems -- they
 can be mounted just like hard drives. So (?) they can be
 used with various powerfull filesystems.
 This seem to be the other extreme (the good one).

  Now, what happens with CD-RW and DVD-RAM ?
  Also, if you can spot any (conceptual) errors in my
 message, please do let me know!

  Thank you (a lot!). And please send me a copy of any
 meassage you post on the newsgroup.

   Paulo

2. Sockets. Identify the Client question?

3. Pinnacle Micro Optical PMO 650 Optical Drive

4. Reliable Hardware Vendor

5. Adding an Optical Drive on SCO 5.0.4

6. Insert a line of text every nth line

7. Optical drive on Sco 5.0.5

8. Problems connecting to a server

9. M88K <--> SCO with optical drive

10. Good optical mouse?

11. Difference between optical and non optical (balled) mouse

12. SCO magneto optical Problem

13. HELP:Problems with Magheto-optical disks AND SCO OS502